Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Jim

I'm a NOOB that just bought gear for the first time!....

Went and supported my LHS and a lot of the stuff I bought was actually cheaper or right on target to prices I've seen online (hockeymonkey, giant, etc.)

Here's what I got, please let me know how y'all think I did. I'm picking this sport up for the first time in my life... Well I grew up playing roller,street hockey in Buffalo, NY but rarely played ice.. I'm freakin stoked to get out there..like a little kid! Anyways here's what I got:

RBK 4k helmet 84.99

Bauer One55 shoulder pads: 44.19

Bauer One55 knee pads: 50.99

Bauer One55 gloves: 71.39

Bauer (i think one55) pants: 66.29

Sherwood RM19 OPS 99.99

RBK 3k elbow pads: 25.49

Picked up RBK 5k skates there a few weeks ago as well for 209. Got a jersey, cup, socks and all that jazz as well.

All in all not too bad I don't think. Like I said I'm like a kid, can't wait for my first "skills and drills" on monday night.

well my quick input is, i started playing a few years ago, bought all my equipment used, except stick/gloves, and i think u did pretty damn well.

not too sure how USD prices compare to CDN in terms of hockey gear, but if u wanted the helmet could be improved in the price range u paid i believe (not knocking the 4K, just saying maybe at the same price u paid u could get something with more bells and whistles)

good luck this "season" lol

Congrats man, hopefully everything fits and feels well.

Thanks dude. Yeah, I tried on numerous items for each piece of gear and just went with what felt the best to me. The guy that was helping was really cool too... most of the stuff he reccomended was cheap stuff..he wasn't pushy at all.

Actually, the helmet I tried on was the only one I tried on. It just felt right, I couldn't believe it because I have an oddly shaped head..lulz. It just felt right though so I got it.

Thanks dude. Yeah, I tried on numerous items for each piece of gear and just went with what felt the best to me. The guy that was helping was really cool too... most of the stuff he reccomended was cheap stuff..he wasn't pushy at all.

Actually, the helmet I tried on was the only one I tried on. It just felt right, I couldn't believe it because I have an oddly shaped head..lulz. It just felt right though so I got it.

Ya ur right...whatever fits for head protection the best, you should go for it...luckily like u said u found something u liked. once again good luck!

fit is the most important thing, i have gear from pro stuff all the way down to lowerend shoulder pads, they all work great because they all fit great. That's the MOST important thing, not the name on the equipment or how it looks. Protection is also important. I think you did well if they all fit great

You're much better off than what I'm starting with (finally took up the sport about 4 months ago). If it all fits well and you feel protected out there that's what counts!!

Grats and welcome to the world of ice hockey :) Buying gear is kinda addicting isn't it?

Did ya remember to pickup little misc things like tape, laces etc? If you have to order that stuff separately online you're gonna get raped on shipping.

I don't see any sticks mentioned - kind of important part of gear for it to be missing? ;)

He mentioned: "Sherwood RM19 OPS 99.99"

he didnt categorize it lol , but got a higher end stick than what most beginners buy...i like ur style!

He mentioned: "Sherwood RM19 OPS 99.99"

he didnt categorize it lol , but got a higher end stick than what most beginners buy...i like ur style!

yeah guys, I was totally going to buy a sherwood woody when I got in there seeing as how I'm a newb and I like the idea of the pucking having a better feel on my stick. It came down to me wanting a longer stick and they literally only had a couple woodies there. I did some searching when I get home and 99.99 for that stick seems like a pretty unreal price. In fact, I don't understand how their stuff is so cheap, I thought for sure online stores would be much cheaper.

The stick feels great. The last time I played I had an aluminum stick which I only played with for a couple years( this was roller and street hockey btw), so to have a stick that is this light is surreal to me. It was alot of money but I figure I can splurge a little bit on one item...the most "fun" item at this point, for me anyways.

I'm gonna go try on everything AT THE SAME TIME now, for the first time.... I'm all giddy!!! LOL

cage :D

only complaint i have is I should have bought a different color jersey besides black. My pasty ass would have looked better in a brighter color...haha!

Congrats! I always get excited with a new piece of equipment. Getting a whole set of equipment must be really exciting. A lot of late beginners get discouraged the first few times out since it can be a really steep learning curve. But stick to it and you'll have tons of fun guaranteed.

Congrats! I always get excited with a new piece of equipment. Getting a whole set of equipment must be really exciting. A lot of late beginners get discouraged the first few times out since it can be a really steep learning curve. But stick to it and you'll have tons of fun guaranteed.

Thanks man! I think I'll be okay just because I'm passionate about hockey. I absolutely love it. I think I'll pick it up fairly quick seeing as I understand the mechanics/rules of the game and I just like it so much. I can skate decently...nothing to write home about but now that I have gear I won't be as afraid to fall. I know roller hockey is alot different but it was the one sport I had alot of natural talent in. I'm not expecting miracles...I just want to see myself progress, meet other people that like hockey(hard to find in Omaha, NE) and have an enjoyable hobby. Shit, I'm having a good time just trying the gear on. I think I might try out a stick and puck tommorrow before I have this initial "skills and drills" on monday night. I've skated a couple times recently, but I haven't deked/shot a puck in a long time.

ANy advice on taping sticks? good youtube vids perhaps?

Since you asked for taping tips, this is what I do (may work for you, may not).

I run a strip of tape along the bottom, end and much of the top of my sticks (usually from the bottom heel - then over/around the toe- then at least 1/4 way across the edge of the top). This is to protect them a little more from nicks and chips. I then tape the toe of the blade back toward the heel, maybe 1/4 of the way. After that I tape the blade from heel to toe, making sure that my last wrap of tape coming from the heel overlaps what I've done. I try to get full tape coverage to make sure my blades/sticks last. I use Mr Zog's wax once I'm done taping.

My way of taping adds some weight to the blade. In spite of this, it seems to help a bit with the durability of my sticks/blades.

I'd recommend at least considering better elbow pads.

Why? He's not playing in a contact league and unless he's gonna have some freak accident where he falls directly on his elbow...the ones he has are just fine.

why do you say that(about the elbow pads?) The only reason I'm not crazy about them is because they aren't terribly comfortable. They seem to be very protective and they stay put(from what I can tell so far).

I just taped my blade up, did a pretty nice job for my first time, no wierd bumps or anything. I put a strip of tape on the bottom of the blade and have the majority of my of the whole blade taped up. I probably would have done it over the toe as well, but didn't think I'd be able to do that without screwing it up.

I'm going to tape up the shaft for grip now, gonna try to but a bit of a knob on the end as well, but nothing too crazy. Let's see how my candy cane skills are, it's been about 14-15 years....

why do you say that(about the elbow pads?) The only reason I'm not crazy about them is because they aren't terribly comfortable. They seem to be very protective and they stay put(from what I can tell so far).

I just taped my blade up, did a pretty nice job for my first time, no wierd bumps or anything. I put a strip of tape on the bottom of the blade and have the majority of my of the whole blade taped up. I probably would have done it over the toe as well, but didn't think I'd be able to do that without screwing it up.

You'll be fine with those elbow pads my friend. Post pics of the gear for the "Show It Off" thread!