Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raygunpk

Plasti Dip

I found this product upon searching for how to add grip to sticks. For those that aren't familiar, it is meant to add a rubberized grip to anything, like tools for example.

It also says on the can that it dampens vibrations, so on a whim I decided to put a small layer on my first-gen Dolomite, which I thought was pingy as hell. It definitely worked, as that terrible pingy feeling was gone.

It obviously adds a tiny bit of weight on the blade, but it was nothing I could notice. You can always apply some under the handle tape to balance it out. I think this is a viable last ditch solution for those who like everything about a stick but can't stand a pingy blade. And also adds a homemade light Stick'Um grip.

Sounds interesting, also sounds like a good solution to protecting wood blades. Did you use the aerosol?

Did you apply over or under tape?

I think the spray version would be a lot better and less messy. I could only get my hands on the can of the liquid, and I just used the back of a spoon to apply a thin layer. I'm sure somebody else has a better idea of how to apply it lol.

I have mine under the tape, although over the tape could work...don't know the extent of how durable it can be.

Well it sounded interesting so I picked some up and sprayed a backup blade. It's got a nice matte finish and slightly rubbery texture to it, don't know if it makes a difference for feel though. I'll be spraying a Vapor XXV with terrible feel to see if that improves at all.

I think it will come off really fast. I used it on a TPS shaft to simulate the rubbery grip. It wore off there in just a few games. On a blade, I don't imagine it will make it a whole game except under the tape.

Watch it closely, as mine started to peel off in strips and I quit using it because I was afraid it would end up on the ice and trip someone.

Yes but the bottom and toe are exposed. I guess you could tape over bladetape though...

Personally that's why I went back to regular tape after trying out bladetape though I've seen some people do that. I found that first generation dolomite blades were tanks compared to the new HD ones which are supposedly stronger (i've gone through 2 already). I'm not quite sure exactly how much of the pingyness you want to remove but taping over bladetape should probably do the trick.

I never bought the product intending to do this, it was just laying around and I did a little experimenting. It worked for me and might work for others too.

It's a home-made version of the alpha nemesis, I'd love to see them come back.

Ah yes I remember those. Half of my friends used them a few years back. Come to think of it yeah it is the same idea

Rubber grip like the old TPS rubber or the old Easton GRIP shaft? Did it peel like the old green GRIP shafts?

Trying to find something to match the grip/feel of my One95

I think it will come off really fast. I used it on a TPS shaft to simulate the rubbery grip. It wore off there in just a few games. On a blade, I don't imagine it will make it a whole game except under the tape.

Watch it closely, as mine started to peel off in strips and I quit using it because I was afraid it would end up on the ice and trip someone.

The grip feel wasn't as aggressive and grabby as the TPS rubber, but had more grab to it than the typical grip shaft. I liked the feel, but didn't want to deal with the peeling.

It's a home-made version of the alpha nemesis, I'd love to see them come back.
What was that?

hespeler stick, right? which if i remember right was the inno shaft that became the dolomite?

dont quote me on that.

Necro bump here, but yesterday I sprayed an old shaft with this stuff to add some grip. It was an SE16 that I converted to a tapered shaft and the graphics were peeling off really bad like Eastons do. I scraped off all the graphics, sanded it lightly, then sprayed it with flat black and a coat of the Plasti Dip. It's about halfway between grip and non-grip retail sticks. If anyone's interested I can update and see how it holds up.

I'm interested. I got some grip sticks for my son, started using one, and I like the grip now for shooting. So I'm thinking of converting my shafts to grip shafts.

I'd love to hear how that turns out. I'm actually in a situation right now where this would be helpful as my new One95 is not a Stickum version and having it slide all around feels sloppy as heck to me (but didn't stop me from breaking a tie with 90 seconds left in regulation last week). I've candycaned it for now to help a little bit with that but would prefer to put rubber/tacky whatever on it to get it to be similar to the stickum or nipplegrip.

it's a pretty solid grip. kinda like a velvet grip mixed with rubber. i wouldn't call it "tacky" like a warrior or reebok grip finish.

doesn't stand up to hacks too well.

I love Plasti-Dip for lots of different applications, but for stick grip I go with a roller with hockey tape wrapped around sticky side out. I like how you can apply it a little at a time until you get the desired amount.

Also I'll add that the Plasti Dip on a blade I tried came off within a couple of uses. The first game with the Plasti Dip on the shaft it looks perfect still, even though I was taking draws and beat the hell out of it on the bench.

Also I'll add that the Plasti Dip on a blade I tried came off within a couple of uses. The first game with the Plasti Dip on the shaft it looks perfect still, even though I was taking draws and beat the hell out of it on the bench.

Did you find clear or did you go with black on the shaft?

This can is a couple years old and is clear. I painted the shaft with some flat black Rustoleum I had laying around and let it dry for hour, then sprayed with Plasti Dip and let it dry for about five hours, then played with it.

Has anyone used plasti-dip on the butt-end of the stick?...Apply tape then dip it, instead of buying tacki-mac grips to save my gloves. I'm curious since I have a can sitting around, and wondered how well it would hold up.