Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackIce

Stinky Gloves - Palms smelling Funky!

The other day I was at pick up and smelled something funky on the bench. I knew it was coming from me but could not figure out what it was as I wash my uniforms and air out my equipment religiously. On the bench a guy kept staring at my glove. Well, after the pick up session I smelt the palms of my Eagle X-70's and that's what the funky smell was. O.K what are the solutions to not having funky smelling gloves.

get a new pair...

seriously speaking though... do you air your gear after each hockey session? I've been using the same pair of gloves for 4 years (minor duct tape jobs on some areas), and wash my gloves in very mild antiseptic solution after every 2 months or so... then newspaper to soak up the moisture, and then fan dry overnight.

Try spraying Anti-Bacterial Febreze on them (inside and out) after using them - when they are still wet from sweat. It worked for me.

I read on another forum that gloves can smell the worst out of any piece of equipment. And yes I do air out my equipment after every usage. (I am not one of those nasty guys) :D Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, after one session I even put them in the dryer. But can't that cause the palms to harden? Furthermore, I know that some companies use non-leather based palms and mesh gussets. I now understand that airflow for the palms is important,

Prevention or it's new gloves for me. I use the antibacterial Febreeze but it doesn't work that well. Once the funk arrives, its a losing battle. I air them out in the garage which doesn't have great airflow so I think outside would be better. I have the x70's also and they have started smelling sooner than my other pairs. Usually the funk arrives when the gloves are on their last leg but I just got these a few months ago and they are already starting to smell. Wash your damn hands! :P

Try using sent elimination sprays that hunters use. You can get it at most outdoor stores. Scent-a-Way is one brand I tried and it works great. No perfume or cover smells. Definitely worth a shot if you like the gloves.

Try using sent elimination sprays that hunters use. You can get it at most outdoor stores. Scent-a-Way is one brand I tried and it works great. No perfume or cover smells. Definitely worth a shot if you like the gloves.

I definitely gonna try this I use an antibacterial spray but the scent of it mixed with the partial stink of my warriors makes my eyes water :blink: but with a non scented spray may work so i won't look like i'm about to sneeze on the bench all the time

I recently purchased the Sprayfresh OT Eliminator spray. If you have allergies(I do) or are prone to skin rashes this stuff is great. Its non-toxic and I've sprayed the inside of my gloves, shoulder pads and knee pads and so far so good. Not bad since its under $10 for a pretty good sized bottle.

SHUTOUT Solutions - A new company from Canada that has sports cleaning products that actually work. They work on new equipment to avoid the buildup of bacteria and to eliminate bacteria with natural ingredients. The Magic ingredient is called NANO-Silver.

Three products - Detergent(great for all microfiber materials) Athletic Spray(Great for spraying down skates, helmets and anything you dont want to put in the wash) and Hair and Body Wash(great for getting hockey smell out of your whole body) These products will actually help prevent skin problems and help cure them once you have them.

Only thing I've found is to get new gloves with anti-microbial treatment. The two pairs I had without it smelled beyond awful and the two pairs I had with it barely smelled at all.

Nothing works quite as well as shaving gel to clean up the palms. It also seems to soften up the leather and get rid of any slimy feeling.

I have been spraying a mixture of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide on all my equipment for the last year and it works wonders at keeping the odors away. There is also a rubbing alcohol with wintergreen scent if you are into that type of thing. Pretty sure I got the idea from someone else on MSH. I also have some eagle x-72 gloves that are 10 months old and they still almost look and smell new except for some palm wear from the knob of my stick.

I have to remember to get a can of Barbasol (with Lanolin) the next time I'm in the US.

You will need the following in order to do this:

*small scrub brush

*shaving gel as seen in photo

1) shake can

2) apply product to glove palm both inside and out

3) scrub product into palm

4) let product evaporate on palm

5) do not use for 24 hours

do this a few times and your glove smell will disappear, however, you still need to take care of your gloves (i.e. removing them from your bag, air drying them - out of the sunlight, etc).

curious of how this works..whats the technique to using this?

Oops, didn't see this. Very nice instructions.

Lanolin didn't help me out after I went to the movies with Taylar R. back in college. My hand stunk for at least a day.

My gloves are fairly new, time will tell if this works.

I bought 2 aquarium filters (activated carbon) and shove them inside my gloves when im not using them. It does a pretty damn good job sucking up the smell.