Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Docklands Rink in Melbourne, Australia.

For those of you invloved with the game in Australia, you will be well aware of the issue with Melbourne's lack of quality ice over the past few years. Rink closures and delays have meant that only one ice rink has been available within the metropolitan area for all Ice sports to use. Our current rink is a 60 year old relic of a Melbourne long since past. The new rink has been in construction mode since January and right now, it's coming along quite nicely. We have a frame and roof at the moment with much more to come.

Below are the plans for building showing its proximity to the freeway and general size. I cannot tell you all how excited I am to finally have a new olympic size rink on its way in my home town only ten minutes from my house. I have been playing and coaching hockey for sometime and the round trip takes just under two hours! Its quality and accessabilty are what its all about and some of you AIHL guys will certainly enjoy the experience next season versus playing Melbourne at Oakleigh.

I have some pics of the frame/roof etc if you guys want to see them as well.

CIMG2843.jpg

Awesome, awesome stuff! I haven't skated on an Olympic sized rink since I was in the Czech Republic, I'm excited!

Can you throw up some photos of the roof Aussie?

I really picked the right time to come back to hockey :)

Docklands... is that where there are some pretty high rise apartments? Havent been to Melbourne in over 2 years, but that was the up and coming precinct?

doesn't docklands have a afl team or something? i love watching that game =P

yes yes i've been to australia quite a few times when i lived in hk

Yep, there's an AFL stadium in the Docklands. It's a pretty good sport, but doesn't have anything on hockey ;)

And yep Kev, that's the one. It's pretty much all high rise apartments and they're trying to develop it to be the next 'it' place in Melbourne. But great news for us, about time we had something better.

Thanks. Yea, that was something I was looking at last year when I saw the ad in the papers about the high rise apartments. Nice place, expensive real estate though.

Docklands... is that where there are some pretty high rise apartments? Havent been to Melbourne in over 2 years, but that was the up and coming precinct?

Yep, its the precinct directly south of Spencer St (or Southern Cross Station).

doesn't docklands have a afl team or something? i love watching that game =P

yes yes i've been to australia quite a few times when i lived in hk

Yes and no. One of our major Stadiums is in the Docklands, recently renamed Etihad Stadium (formally Telstra Dome, Colonial Stadium). Etihad Stadium's website. However, the teams that play there do not come from the area known as the Docklands.

Additional Pics are as follows...

CIMG2830.jpg

CIMG2835.jpg

CIMG2838.jpg

Apologies for the image sizes, I'm at work and cannot edit them down with trusty Photoshop.

Very expensive, and was overpriced when the apartments first opened up to the public. It's starting to catch up to itself price wise now, but yeah I wouldn't have paid that money even if I had it.

Aussie: Sweet!

Docklands has come along way from the elitist, empty nester dream of the late 90's. It's becoming its own suburb complete with Supermarkets and boat ramps! l ;)

Back on topic; I am told the completion date range for the rink(s) will be Nov 2009 - Late Jan 2010.

Yeah, I heard it should definitely be ready for winter season next year.

I also heard another rumour that someone bought a hangar off of Lindsay Fox at Essendon airport and was going to put a rink in it? Not sure how much truth there was to it, but would be great if it is.

I have heard that Essendon rumour as well Phunk. Its supposed to be ready by July, but the rumours have gone cold since a few mths ago. Realistically at this point, Docklands is the go.

Still x2 new rinks in Melbourne one 10 mins from my house and the other 5 mins from my house is exciting. About time Ice Hockey came back to the western and northern suburbs.

I definatly going to oick up some cheap ice hockey skates once this thing has opened. On another note I still havn't gotten round to checking out the synthetic ice rink either...

On another note I still havn't gotten round to checking out the synthetic ice rink either...
I haven't been to the syntetic rink either, I just don't know if I could get down to it...

A few guys from Ice have been and said its crap. The synthetic ice rink managers were trying to score a deal with Ice Hockey Victoria (IHV) to have badging sessions for beginners Ice Hockey at their venue but the deal fell through.

Your rink is probably better then our current barn. I know that facilities in places like Hong Kong and Dubai even, are better then here.

its impossible to play hockey in hong kong...only way you get the rink to yourself is if your part of the hk hockey team...which sucks balls btw

BUMP:

Local news station has done a little spot on our current rink, moreso the development of the Docklands rink and just how big its all going to be.

Andy McDowell looks pleased as punch with the progress as well.

Channel 7 News - Docklands Rink Spot

Thanks for posting that up, so many people just can't wait for this place to open :D

If there were more rinks or that quality or even half that quality in Australia then ice sports would be more popular than what they are. :( The guy who owns our rink in the berra is such a tight arse! he never spends any money on the place, we have had dodgy coolers and bad ice for as long as i can remember.. but sigh* its the only rink in our city :( Ill be making a trip to melb for some drop in games i think :)

Hopefully we can secure some ice time for drop in sessions Mr Playlist. Canberra is one of the better rinks I have skated on in Australia. Remember it could always be worse *points to current setup here*.

PS: I'm changing my Signature for the SC.

Man, that place looks great, you guys are really lucky to be getting something that nice. It seems new rinks are really few and far between these days. Can't wait to see what it looks like when its all done man