Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4gobabygo

custom heel lift for vanguard

That looks really good. I bet it performs aswell. For someone loving a pitch like that, I'm jealous. Think how incognito you'd be with them if you got the black dye out. Good work!

they felt pitched awkwardly backward when i first mounted them. i felt like i was falling over backward. took them off and took some measurements and realized that the heel was 6mm too low to match the pitch of my ice holders, tuuk ls2. bought a 6mm thick sheet of HDPE and cut them out. now they feel perfect. i'm amazed that it took such a huge lift just to match what is considered to be "neutral" for ice.

That looks really good. I bet it performs aswell. For someone loving a pitch like that, I'm jealous. Think how incognito you'd be with them if you got the black dye out. Good work!

thanks! they will be dyed black with RIT powder. this is just a test fit. the heel lifts were really easy to make... took about an hour and cost $3.28 at McMaster.

i traced the mounting surface of the chassis onto cardboard, cut out a template and checked for good fitment, then traced the template onto the sheet of HDPE with a fine point permanent marker. then i cut out the rough shape by hand with a hobby saw and used a rough file to get them right down to the lines i had traced. a fine file makes them smooth. this material is super easy to work with... for anyone with any basic woodworking skill, this is a total piece of cake. with a band saw and a belt sander, this would have taken under 10 minutes, but since i was doing it by hand, it took more like an hour to get the shaping exact.

Looks fantastic. I'm having a Vanguard chassis put on the old Easton Z-Air's from 99' right now. I am much more adapted to skating on inlines so in your opinion, do you think this mod could benefit me???

off topic question but where did you get those wheels? or did you get them off rbk 9k's?

They look more orange than red, so I'd be saying wicked 3's not 9k's. If you like 9k wheels, I would have posted a link to hockey monkey but unfortunatly they don't appear to have them anymore.

Isnt HDPE recyclable plastic #2?

ie soda and milk bottles?

not sure about that, but it is the material used for the outsole of most pre-carbon/composite boots.

Looks fantastic. I'm having a Vanguard chassis put on the old Easton Z-Air's from 99' right now. I am much more adapted to skating on inlines so in your opinion, do you think this mod could benefit me???

hard to say... this was an adjustment that was very specific to the pitch i was looking for. try measuring the height of the heel and toe of the skates you're acclimated to, then comparing this difference to the height difference between the front and back of the vanguard chassis... this is how i came up with 6mm for myself. now, they feel perfectly normal to me, since they match the pitch that i've become used to.

off topic question but where did you get those wheels? or did you get them off rbk 9k's?

ask fatwabbit... i got the wheels from him.

yeah I just mounted vangaurds on my 5k pumps with an aluminum 3mm lift a buddy made for me and I think I need to go higher like you. Mission should have made the pitch a little better so that there wasn't so much space between the front 2 wheels and the boot. I have plenty of clearance between my boot and my second wheel. I compared to my Code 1's and the to is significantly lower to the ground even with the 80mm wheels. I know it is made possible by the cutout in the outsole, but having the front of the boot lower to the ground is definitely nice. Hopefully a little more heel lift will make these vangaurds feel just right.

Isnt HDPE recyclable plastic #2?

ie soda and milk bottles?

not sure about that, but it is the material used for the outsole of most pre-carbon/composite boots.

VitaminZ is correct. I've made shims out of milk bottles.

Old skates were thermoplastic rubber, not HDPE