Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ltrain

Wide/Large helmets?

ok, i've already got a large head, roughly a 7 1/2 to 7 5/8, but being asian, it's also pretty wide. i'd like to know who makes the widest helmets out there these days. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Problem with finding the right width is that it is variable between the different models of the different brands. E.g. medium NB1500 is narrower than the medium NB4500. And if someone is a large in the NB1500 for example, they may only be a medium in the NB4500.

Unfortunately, its one of those things you want to try on if you are able to. If not, then some peeps around here may have some anecdotal evidence to help you out.

I understand that its frustrating, it was a pain to find my helmet (NB4500) and even then it doesnt really fit the way I want it to, but it was the best one availiable at the time.

Good luck

I was actually out helping a friend of mine pick out a helmet since he's new to hockey. He's also got a fairly large and round head. He tried on all the helmets Sportchek carried but ended up getting the RBK 4K because it was the only one that didn't squeeze the sides of his head.

Hey bud I was in the same boat as u I tried on many of the higher end helmets and found all were too narrow!

The best fit I got was with the NBH4500 most snug fit without squeezing my head! GL

agreed I have the same problem I was in a NB4500 XL for most of my playing days. Now I am in a Easton S9 XL which fits great as well. No real reason for switching other than looks

I have a fairly wide head, though not very long, and I fit into the V08 really well.

biggest helmet I've seen

Asian head here... Jofa 690 and the Mission Intake has worked best for me. The new CCM Vectors pinched the side of my head and the RBK helmets were too wide.

+1 for the NBH4500XL. I'm Asian also and I have a huge wide noggin; considerably bigger than 7 5/8 (Fletch can confirm this). I've tried on almost every helmet out there and the 4500XL is the only one I can get my head into. For me, it's a little narrow so for you it should be fine.

Hope this helps and good luck,

FatAndSlow

trust me I have big head and wide face. and I have tried every single kind of XL helmet available.

Nike Bauer 4500/4000 XL and RBK 4K XL both fit well. Mission XL is too swallow.

The RBK works better with the visor. I need to drill the hole longer on my visor to fit in a NBH 4000 XL.

I have an extra RBK 4K XL Black that I want to sell soon (used twice and will stick with my Nike).

I need to drill the hole longer on my visor to fit in a NBH 4000 XL.

My Oakley has the holes drilled a little longer and it still sits on my nose when mated to my 4000 XL. It fit great on my V10 L though.

I have a 7 7/8 head, used a 4000 XL for a few years, switched to the Vector 10 a year ago before the V8 was released.

In terms of width at the ears I found:

4500 XL < Intake L < 4000 XL < V10 L < 8k L

The Easton buckets weren't out yet when I was looking.

The newer NikeBauer4500 shell was remarkably narrower than the Bauer 4000 I own. It was the first thing I tried to replace my cracked 4000 and I couldn't get my head in the thing.

I have a fairly wide head, though not very long, and I fit into the V08 really well.

See I think this may be one of those discrepencies between size in the same model... I have a small V08 and find it's narrower than my previous Bauer 4400. I have a somewhat narrow head and the V08 is the first one that's really snug on the sides for me, lenghth wise it's fine with adjustability in both directions still, in my experience I'd definitely suggest this helmet for a narrow headed guy but don't think I'd suggest it for anyone w/ a round head. But then again it all comes down to the importance of trying them all on.

I have a pretty round/wide size 8 head, and a Jofa 690 was the answer for me. I've also tried on an Rbk 4k, and it fit (but not quite as comfortable, and I don't really like VN foam, and hate how it looks). I once bought a Bauer 4000 XL online (it was cheap, so it was an impulse buy), but it ended up being too narrow.

I'm in the market for a new lid, so I've been out and about trying the new models on too. My head best fit the Bauer 8000, which I use right now. I think the 8500 fits slightly different. There's no way I fit into the new 9500 - too bad. The other ones that kinda work are RBK 8k (slightly too long), Intake, Carbster (too deep), and the new Eastons. The Bauer 4000 and 4500 almost fit, but not quite. I'll have to try the 6k (LHS didn't have one in L or XL) and the CCM V10 (not real keen on the look, but it's ok). I don't think I can find Jofa anywhere close.

biggest helmet I've seen

I'd have to agree with that one.... My head is pretty big, and it was swimming in a V08. If the length down the back wasn't so bad, I'd be in a V08.

I was in the Intake for a while, but I have to admit- it wasn't too comfy until about a month's worth of use. Once it shaped to my melon, it was nice. I tried to switch to the Intake Fusion in the same size, and it was crushing my head. So I then ended up in an Easton S9 in a size L... open all the way up it fits snug, but I'm considering an XL for a little more breathing room (I'm talking minor adjustment).