Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tamtamg

I need all new hockey gear.

Haven't really played in about 10 years, and i'm looking to get back in, join a beer league, and go to some pickup games. Anywho, I was hoping you guys could give me recommendations on gear. I'm looking to spend about $1k max and am looking to get the most bang for my buck. Here are my priorities on what I'm willing to spend some bucks on for high end gear to gear I don't mind skimping on:

1. Helmet w/ half visor

2. Skates

3. Sticks

4. Jock

5. Pants

6. Shins

7. Elbows

8. Shoulders

I know a lot of people are going to say I'm going to need to go to my LHS to get fitted for skates, but I'm figure I should have some ideas on which models would be good for me. To give you an idea of my foot, I used to rock the white nike fedorovs (zoom airs?) and I remember them fitting me like a glove.

Thanks in advance.

As always, go try on some stuff and decide what feels good to you. Try everything and don't let the biases of other people prevent you from finding what works best for you.

Well, apart from the skates, for beer league, I would buy whatever fits and/or is on sale. A thousand bucks is quite a bit of money - I doubt you'd have to spend that much to get the essentials.

If you liked the Nikes, you could start off by looking at some flexlights or bauer supremes, which (I believe) should have a similar pitch/boot shape.

You said that youre looking to spend $1k max, so you'll be able to get some pretty good equipment nonetheless. Like Chadd said try on stuff that works for you and if you have questions about certain equipment this would be the place to get the answers.

thanks for the replies. i have just a couple of general questions.

-is pro stock gear really that much cheaper and are the savings worth it, as opposed to buying retail?

-where's a good place to buy pro stock gear?

-what are the advantages/cons of girdles vs pants?

-what are the advantages/cons of blade+shaft vs. ops?

thanks.

-what are the advantages/cons of girdles vs pants?

-what are the advantages/cons of blade+shaft vs. ops?

Girdles offer more mobility, less weight, and less obstruction. Pants however offer a better level of protection from everything...pucks, sticks, and the like. There is also usually better tailbone protection with pants. I've considered going to a girdle a few times but just prefer the protection of my trusty old pants (with spine protection).

I also use a 2 piece stick because of how quickly I go through blades, replacing a $30 blade is much easier (and cheaper) than replacing a whole OPS or cutting it and putting a tapered blade into it. Less hassle, quicker, and generally cheaper. Additionally, with a 2 piece stick I can experiment with different type of curves and lies.

I got back into hockey about 3 years ago so I had to buy quite a bit of stuff new (and secondhand) and I also had a limited budget. Here's what I did:

1. Read reviews on the stuff that I liked (there's quite a bit of them on this site alone)

2. Went out to the local LHS and tried on stuff.

3. Marked down the price and went home and compared price on hockeygiant.com (and other internet wholesalers), ebay, kijiji.com, and craiglist

4. Buy from whichever place is cheapest.

Depending on what pair of skates you are getting, it might run you up to 30-60% of your budget already. That only leaves you about 40-70% to work with for the rest of your equipment. There are always the odds and ends such as hockey tape, bag etc that you have to pay for as well. Have a search on ebay, kijiji or craiglist will lessen the strain on your budget.

As for prostock stuff, it really depends on which piece of item you are getting. Correct me if I am wrong but pro stock sticks might not have the 30 days warranty but might have some different curves, flex, special modifications than retail. You might want to ask some of the experts on this forum before buying a certain pro-stock piece of equipment to get an idea of what you are expecting.

You can get prostock stuff online, ebay, and sometimes at your LHS.

I picked up new gear a few years ago, and ended up replacing almost all of it with better stuff. Since you know you're going to play for a while, I'd recommend buying some better stuff that fits well.

1. Helmet w/ half visor - The helmet I think is the most important protective gear, so I bought a top of the line Mission Intake because it fit my head better than other models and had all the important features. It was also $40 cheaper than the Bauer at the time. I'd also look at the Intake Fusion too. Also went with a Bauer 9500 cage because it's lighter and thinner than others (although the cheaper 8500 series did a good job for half the price). I don't like visors because they fog up really bad and I can't see very well out of them. The 9500 is invisible on the ice.

2. Skates - The second most important was skates, because I needed something that fit and would hold up for a long time. I got some Vapor XXV's after trying EVERYTHING on the market. The second from top of the line skates typically have most of the best features without the high price. But the important thing is fit.

3. Sticks - I've tried a whole bunch of them, but I've been really happy with most two-piece tapered combos. Right now I'm using Fuel Pyro's because they are really cheap but still have great performance. Generally I look for something that's lighter flex than what I need because I cut them down. For a backup, a wood stick like a One40 or Sherwood 5030 works fine.

4. Jock - I just replaced my Shock Doctor with a WSI jock. The cup slides in outside the shorts making them much easier to take in and out, and it doesn't slide in funny which makes it easier to wear. Plus the shorts are a lot more comfortable and don't smell as much because of the lining.

5. Pants - I got some lightweight pants (Vapor XXV) because I don't fall very often.

6. Shins - I got One90 shins because I wanted a lot of knee protection and a smaller fitting pad for my slimmer calves.

7. Elbows - I got Stealth S9 elbows because they have a smaller design but the elbow strap keeps them on better than cheaper ones. I also like the new Vapor XXV.

8. Shoulders - I got some Sherwood shoulders for because heavy pads make me really warm on the ice.

I also like the Shock Doctor Gravity mouthguard.

All told I spent about $1000 on all that gear.

Actually, 1k is pretty generous. I'd spend most of it on skates, stick and gloves and bucket. The rest would be mid range stuff.

Good call thats what I would go for... The most important thing is fit so just try everything on and go from there

Oh yeah, gloves :D

I got some Vector Pros off eBay for $40...they're $120-150 gloves (can't remember how much they were new).

But yeah, if I were to rank the equipment in order of highest to lowest importance for me, it'd be:

Helmet / Cage

Skates

Gloves

Stick

Everything Else

Check out closeout deals and used gear if you can. You can save a bundle on things like pants, shins, and even lightly used gloves.

My 4 cents from a fellow beer leaguer

1. Helmet w/ half visor: Bauer 4500 with an Itech RBE visor

2. Skates: Tacks if you can find a pair gently used, otherwise this is up to you. No need to go top of line, but plan on spending at least $150

3. Sticks: composite shaft ($50-70)and combo with blade of your choice. This will let you try out different patterns without breaking bank.

4. Jock: Itech Jock Shorts

5. Pants: Itech or Mission, no need to break bank on these either.

6. Shins: You can also cheap out on these, just make sure they fit right with skates.

7. Elbows: Easton Stealth

8. Shoulders: Sher-Wood 5030s if you're looking mininimalist. Otherwise, low end Bauers.

9. Gloves: Bauer 4-rolls

That's pretty much my setup right there and it'll give you above average protection and value. Adjust accordingly.

I've gotta say, I think cheaping out on shin pads is a big mistake. If you can get good stuff on closeout, that is a much better way to go than grabbing bargain basement shinnies. Your knees and shins will thank you.

Definitely don't cheap out on skates. They're the most important piece of equipment, next to a helmet. Skates that fit properly and are comfortable make a huge difference. I wouldn't start with a really expensive stick, but buy a nice helmet definitely. If you're just getting back into skating, you're going to take some spills, and you don't want to hurt your head. As far as the other stuff goes, buy what's most comfortable, but I wouldn't buy the lower end stuff. You've got a big budget, and the $30 you save buying low end stuff isn't worth it when you have to replace it in a few months time. Plus the first time you get hit in a vulnerable spot because you bought cheap gear, you're gonna wish you would've bought the high end model to start with.

Your shins/pants will probably take the most abuse, so I'd get something with good protection. I made the mistake of buying really cheap shins and then got slashed on the side of the leg. The padding there was really thin, and I ended up getting a pretty deep bruise. I couldn't skate for a couple weeks, which really pissed me off. Needless to say, I bought better shin pads so it doesn't happen again. I've taken some pretty hard shots off my thighs too, and I've been glad I had decent pants on.

According to me and what've tried :

1. Helmet w/ half visor : Rbk8k/nhb9500 (you can spend a lot, first it's very important, confort is very valuable, you'll keep it for long/long time. I still have my bauer5000 and it still rocks, almost 8 years now...) . CCM/cascade are ugly, mission never tried.

2. Skates : Houuuu it's up to you dude. For me the best ratio money/quality would be the ccm 08 or some supreme 70.

3. Sticks : TPS (XN10 at 100dollar regualer flex on epuck) unique feeling, the right feeling. Last brand that knows how to make a stick. Even a cheap 30dollars TPS wood stick has a better feeling than my 150dollars NHB one90 ...

4. Jock : What the hell is jock??

5. Pants : Tackla. Again old school but they worth the money. Air5000 should be nice. And you won't look like all the asses with their easton/rbk/bauer pants, who seem to have discovered IH 3 hours ago ...

6. Shins : mission 130 (you can get them for very cheap on epuck)... bulky, light, confortable, ... all you can expect from a hockey shin guard. But according to me there're not really good shins at the moment.. there's something wrong with the shape, they want to be anatomical but .. <_<

7. Elbows : Easton sucks (beautiful, well crafted, but not confortable), CCM are very cheap made, .... but I highly suggest you to get the same line/brand for elbow and shoulder.

All the top of the line bauer is absolutely crap (will probably fall apart in no time).

And to me the vapor XXVs look the best, they are seriously made, hold well, good soft strap in the middle of the joint, price is crazy though.

8. Shoulders : I really like the last vapor XXV (I bought it recently), no fancy stuff on it, very simple and efficient design. Very important to try on pants and shoulder at the same time to see if they fit well togheter. Don't take something bulky for the shoulder, something thin and light and very movable is highly advised :angry: . Skip all the "adjustable" crap with 1thousand straps. It's a man sport (nothing to do with soccer) the first protection will be your deltoid/pectoral/big dorsal/trapeze and if you don't forget to contract all those muscles when you get blown up against the glass you should be fine :ph34r:

Helmet- NBH 9500,5500, 4500 and RBK 8k

- prices range from $150-50

- don't get a two toned 9500, they're for dusters, it looks good on the 8k though

- http://eastwesthockey.net/helmets1.html

Visor-Oakly Pro Straight Cut

- $65

- http://eastwesthockey.net/gagesandvisors.html

Stick- Easton S15 Shaft w/ any blade you want, NBH ONE95 w/ any blade you want

- I think the feel with a shaft/wood blade combo is the best

- I currently have the ONE95 shaft, and use a S15 as my back up

- They're both great sticks but I prefer the ONE95 shaft because it is lighter

Gloves- NBH 4-Rolls, Easton 4 Rolls

- EWH has some pretty sick colors

- http://eastwesthockey.net/icehogl.html,

Skates- NBH ONE95/90/75, Vapor XXXX/XXV

- Range from $650-$300

- I'm a Bauer guy, and I've always worn Bauer skates, I think they feel/fit the best

- http://www.totalhockey.net/tab2.asp?cdt=20...9!33!51

Pants-

- Pretty much anything in the color you want, I don't think you'll be doing any shot blocking so any pair of pants will work

- Tackala, NBH, Easton, RBK are all great and there really is no noticable difference

Protective- NBH ONE90/70, Vapor XXXX/XXV, Easton Stealth S17

- They are all very similar and are very comfortable

- I would say shins and elbows are very important no matter what level you are playing

- Since I think you won't be doing any serious checking, the amount of protection for your shoulder pads might not be as important

- So the NBH Supreme Classics shoulders could be perfect, http://eastwesthockey.net/shoulderpads.html

hope this helps

Thanks for all the the recommendations guys! I went to my LHS and tried a bunch of stuff on and made a few purchases. The gear so far:

Helmet: NBH8500, the didn't have a 9500 in stock and the 8k doesn't fit my massive dome(7 7/8!)

Visor: Oakley VR832, only one they had in stock that didn't seem to make things look distorted (it looks really goofy though)

Elbows, Shoulder, Shins, Pants: got a packaged deal on the 5k line

Only things left are gloves, skates, and sticks. All of which I still have some questions about before I make the purchase.

At my LHS, I tried on all the top end skates (9k, U+, One95, XXXX) and the U+ and XXXX fit me the best. I think I'm leaning towards the 40s because they're cheaper. So my question is, what the difference between retail 40s and the prostocks, and why are the prostocks so much cheaper? The 40's at my LHS are $450, but I found a pair of pro stocks online for $262 shipped in my exact size. Which should I get?

Second question is about sticks. More specifically kick points. I've decided to go with a two piece til I find a curve that works for me. I'm choosing between the One95 (high kick) and the XXXX (low kick). I grew up playing on aluminum shafts, so which would have a similar kick point to them? Also will I notice the difference shooting with a high vs. low kick point shaft?

Last question. None of the gloves at my LHS really popped out at me and I was thinking going custom. Any one here have any good/bad experiences with MIA?

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys are great!

At my LHS, I tried on all the top end skates (9k, U+, One95, XXXX) and the U+ and XXXX fit me the best. I think I'm leaning towards the 40s because they're cheaper. So my question is, what the difference between retail 40s and the prostocks, and why are the prostocks so much cheaper? The 40's at my LHS are $450, but I found a pair of pro stocks online for $262 shipped in my exact size. Which should I get?

Second question is about sticks. More specifically kick points. I've decided to go with a two piece til I find a curve that works for me. I'm choosing between the One95 (high kick) and the XXXX (low kick). I grew up playing on aluminum shafts, so which would have a similar kick point to them? Also will I notice the difference shooting with a high vs. low kick point shaft?

Last question. None of the gloves at my LHS really popped out at me and I was thinking going custom. Any one here have any good/bad experiences with MIA?

Pro stocks are somewhat of a gamble. If they're new then you've got to think there'd be a reason the pro didn't want them (especially if they still wear that model in games). They're usually reinforced a bit more and the pro can choose from a myriad of options including boot stiffness, widths, tweaks in the last, materials, reinforcement, etc. You'd also be running the no-warranty, no-returns route with pro stocks.

One95 is a standard shaft, XXXX is a tapered shaft. If you want to use wood blades, go with the One95 as it gets pretty tough to find tapered wood in different companies and patterns. Search for standard vs tapered topics on this, it's been discussed a lot. Also, you need to consider the shape and feel of these two sticks. Your old aluminums were probably pretty boxy, Bauer sticks tend to have a more concave shape (I couldn't stand the XXXX shaft). I would think the One95 would be closer to the aluminum shafts, unless you had a low kick tapered T-flex.

MIA is no more, Warrior bought the company and they now make Warrior gloves. They're a bit pricey but solid gloves. I would personally go with Eagle, but it's your choice.

I would personally go with Eagle, but it's your choice.

x2

If you want high quality gloves and aren't afraid of spending some money, the Eagle X72's and PPF's are amazingly comfortable. The MSH2 palm is so soft, I can't imagine how nice they feel once they get broken in a little bit.