Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beflar

Mirrored Visors

I ordered one just for the fun of it. Was wondering how dark are the Mirrored visors. How much is it going to throw me off looking through a tinted visor?

Thoughts?

Hey man, I have one and I didn't really notice a difference from my clear visor that much...You get use to it pretty quick. It shouldn't throw you off at all.

Hey man, I have one and I didn't really notice a difference from my clear visor that much...You get use to it pretty quick. It shouldn't throw you off at all.

Cool, I was going to add it to my 8k RBK helmet.

The only reason I'm switching is because I like to buy hockey gear... Is that strange?

Cool, I was going to add it to my 8k RBK helmet.

The only reason I'm switching is because I like to buy hockey gear... Is that strange?

came to the right place. I can't play for another 6+ months ( and its already been 5 ) and I am/will contintue to, horde more gear so i got some nice stuff when i go play again :)

i'v had one for years.. vision's fine as long as you don't play in dark arena's. The only warning that isn't labeled on the box, is that you should be ready for some serious chirps! Also get the straight cut, the aviator looks goofy to me.

I had a tinted pro wave visor and switched to a clear oakley straight cut.. there is literally no difference in vision

be prepared to be called out wearing a mirrored visor

I had a tinted pro wave visor and switched to a clear oakley straight cut.. there is literally no difference in vision

be prepared to be called out wearing a mirrored visor

I have no skills but I have a great sense of humor. I wear T'Blades also so I'm just asking for trouble:) All I need now is some pink gloves and laces and I'm set... Ya I just don't care anymore, I do what I want:)

Some guys in my leauge and even on my team rock the tinted/mirriored visors. And yeah, they get harrased for wearing it, but hey, if you have the skills to back it up, you can wear whatever you like.

If you just out there for a good time and don't care if you are potentially putting a target on you, do it.

I'd be lying if i said i never had my moments of when i wanted to rock the Ovechkin look.

I am not good enough to wear one, but I like them. I bought my brother one as soon as soon as I saw Ovechkin wearing it at the WJC. It is advantageous to prevent the goalie from seeing your eyes.

Totally unnecessary unless you are playing in an overly bright arena(s) or having major issues with glare coming off the ice. I got a couple straight and aviator cuts in my junior years after having my eye doctor recommend it as a potential aid to my reoccurring depth perception problems. The only times I found it beneficial was when I was playing in the two WHL arenas here, where the bright lighting and overly reflective ice was a noticeable problem for me. The aviator cuts was a bit better IMO simply due to the fact that it covered more of the vision area helping to reduce the amount of distortion or "non coverage" when looking out of my lower peripherals. Only thing I can recommend when using a straight cut mirrored, or even a tinted visor for that matter is to make sure your helmet is fitted and sitting properly on your head. If you're wearing it tilted back on your head as though your eyes were on the top of your forehead, you might as well just give $60 to anyone at a LHS and have them draw up set of cross hairs to pin on your ass instead... might wanna let them give you a swift kick to the ass for good measure as well.

Despite the few and rare benefits for me personally, most arenas are too dimly lit for this to be of any practical use. I learned really quickly that by wearing one of these you will be chripped at, and probably get more people trying to smoke you. I only wore these for a couple weeks before I took them off since I figured my concussion problems took priority over my depth perception. But really, unless you're playing pro, major junior, have a vision issue valid enough to get a medical marijuana recommendation, or looking to get headhunted for sixty minutes... being a conformist to clear visors is probably for the best. And good god, if you're playing beer league... grow up.

I have one that I bought to use in an outdoor roller league. I found it to be darker than whatever tinted one I compared it to at the time of purchase.

I had an eye injury several years ago that prevents my left pupil from constricting like it should and therefore lets too much light in. I found the darker tint of the mirrored itech to help when playing outside with the sun in my face.

I only used it for ice a couple times before buying a clear one to take its place. It is totally unnecessary in 95% of rinks I've played in.

Of course they are unnecessary:) I play beer league and am just having fun with it. But thanks for the warning about the chirping. I'll be ready for it:)

Just bought the mirrored visors, have used them for one game so far, here is the feedback:

Pros

Other team can't read your eyes. The other team actually played me different. I guess I gave a lot away with my eyes.

Comfortable. Like wearing light shades.

Looks cool.

Cons

It feels anti social. Your own team acts different when they can't see your eyes.

You draw A LOT more penalties. I think because the ref can't see your eyes everything looks like you did it on purpose. ie: One guy bumped into me and fell down. "The guy wearing shades is up to something" etc

These are just off the top of my head after one skate.

"The guy wearing shades is up to something" etc

Probably more along the lines of, "That guy wearing shades looks like an asshole."

Good call on the anti-social thing though; the mirrored-visor guys always seem distant and unapproachable. Although that's likely a self-selecting phenomenon.

So in the end we can conclude: Mirrored Visor < Non Mirrored Visor

I think the negatives outweigh the benefits of wearing one. Besides other guys unable to read your eyes with mirrored visor, there's nothing else that can be beneficial. If it was a superior product, we'd see more players using it in the NHL.

"The guy wearing shades is up to something" etc

Probably more along the lines of, "That guy wearing shades looks like an asshole."

Good call on the anti-social thing though; the mirrored-visor guys always seem distant and unapproachable. Although that's likely a self-selecting phenomenon.

Looking like an asshole is a step up for me:)

I think the negatives outweigh the benefits of wearing one. Besides other guys unable to read your eyes with mirrored visor, there's nothing else that can be beneficial. If it was a superior product, we'd see more players using it in the NHL.

I don't suppose it has anything to do with it being banned in the NHL?

I think it's banded in the NHL. At least the Mirrored one are.

That's part of the reason I just went with a tinted one instead of a mirrored one. Plus, we already had a guy with a mirrored one, and I think that filled the team quota.

awesome post.............problem is if you can back it up in skill everyone just mugs you and refs look the other way.......if you cant back it up people laugh at you

no win situation

also everyone thinks your a douche........reason why they dont sell mirrored to public...it should have a label on it "pro use only" :lol:

awesome post.............problem is if you can back it up in skill everyone just mugs you and refs look the other way.......if you cant back it up people laugh at you

no win situation

also everyone thinks your a douche........reason why they dont sell mirrored to public...it should have a label on it "pro use only" :lol:

If you play with hustle and heart I think people will leave you alone. If someone chirps I'm usually way to tired to care. Plus I play better when I'm mad.

I'm not really a guy too many people bother...