Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

litespeed27

GRAF 703's and 735's

I'm hoping somebody here can enlighten me. I've read some of the posts here, but none quite answered my questions. First, I've never had a pair of skates that fit me like a glove. I played JR. A almost 20 years ago and have played in mens leagues ever since, so skating ability is not in the equation, at least I'd hope not.

I've got very narrow feet with a low instep and skinny ankles. All of which are not conducive to good fitting skates. I currently wear Bauer 7000's in a 7B width. I wear a size 8.5-9 shoe. All of my skates buckle at the area where the ankle and foot bend, even my "B" width Bauers. I always have to wear fairly thick socks with my skates to take up the excess volume.

I tried on some 735's 7.5, reg. width, at my local store. They seem to fit just right(laces spaced just far enough apart), but once broken in I'm afraid they'll be sloppy. The toebox seems just right, but not sure I'd like them any narrower. Does anybody know if the narrow boot will also have a narrower toebox area in either skate?

My next question is durability of the 735. Has anybody had this skate for a while and how has it held up. I mainly wonder about the mesh liner. I'm used to the clarino in the Bauers. The pair I tried on also had an eyelet that looked like it wasn't punched all the way and could be trouble down the road.

Lastly, if I were to put some TUUKS on either skate, do the existing holes match up or do I have to drill new ones. Also, would you recommend them being changed? Are the original holders specifically made for Grafs? I noticed a lot of pro's changed them out and I'm kinda partial to them too, but also noticing there's a lot more choices out there then say 10 years ago.

Try on 703s in that case. Or consider the 735 with Superfeet in as it will take up a bit of volume to get that little bit extra within the boot to fit. N and R widths have the same toebox.

I've seen no durability problems with the 735 beyond the typical cosmetics.

Tuuk holder holes do line up with the Cobra holes.

I was in exactly the same situation as you (right down to shoe size). I went with Graf G3's in a 7, best fitting skate I've ever had on my feet. Also had Tuuks put on (holes had to be drilled), even better. PM with any questions.

yea i put tuuks on my 703's as well but i had to drill holes...it was worth it though..they feel so much better with the tuuk than the cobra.

The holes that were drilled, were these in the skates or the holders? I just had tuuks put on some graf 704s and I think the shop just drilled some new holes in the holders. I'm not sure that's the way to go.

So I orderred my GRAF 735's online and when I get them they look awesome, but after closer inspection I notice a few things that I don't think are quite right. Did I get some factory seconds or is it just me being too picky. I know after spending $500 you'd think they would be of better quality. On each skate where the plastic footbed is molded to the boot near the toebox area there is about a 1/4" gap that runs about 3-4" along the bottom of the boot. I'm sure I could use them, but it's just piss poor workmanship if you ask me. I thought GRAF put out a better product then this. I was going to use them this week, but now am thinking I may just send them back.

So I orderred my GRAF 735's online and when I get them they look awesome, but after closer inspection I notice a few things that I don't think are quite right. Did I get some factory seconds or is it just me being too picky. I know after spending $500 you'd think they would be of better quality. On each skate where the plastic footbed is molded to the boot near the toebox area there is about a 1/4" gap that runs about 3-4" along the bottom of the boot. I'm sure I could use them, but it's just piss poor workmanship if you ask me. I thought GRAF put out a better product then this. I was going to use them this week, but now am thinking I may just send them back.

http://flickr.com/photos/12818172@N03/3004.../in/photostream

I was just wondering if anyone has had this same problem. There are huge gaps on both skates. I can understand small gaps and voids, but they're pretty big when you can stick a ruler in there. I've decided to return these, but now not so sure I want another pair of Graf's. It sucks that their the only ones that make narrow enough boots to fit my feet.

grafskates010sc8.jpg

graf12dv4.jpg

I've seen that with a lot of the graf skates that come through our store with that new outsole. I don't understand how graf doesn't notice this as a problem, especially after the debacle that occurred with the entire g-series they put out. Another major problem i've seen is misaligned holders, and i mean really out of line.

litespeed, where are you located? Do you have a guy locally that can size you for customs?

I have narrow feet as well, with skinny ankles. I ended up getting sized for some Bauer One95s in a 10C/AA for the left skate, 9.5C/AA for the right.

I cannot tell you how nice it is to have a pair of skates that actually fits. Customs wouldn't cost that much more than the $500 you paid for the Grafs...

Wow..now that I've seen pics.. I cant believe they sent them to you like that.

You've been a member here long enough to know better than that. :lol:

Well, that goes without saying, but I guess the $$$ Graf Canada pays Graf Switzerland for licensing outweighs any concerns Graf AG may have about Graf Canada's quality issues. Which is a shame because they are nice skates and very comfortable, but there's more being successful than having a nice concept.

you should see the g70's i got in my store with misaligned holders. I mean it was horrible. They had to have been off by almost half an inch on both of them. The fronts were in the right spot, and the backs were just foxed out. I should have taken a picture of it. I think our manager ended up sending them back. . . well I hope he did.

I love my grafs, and I need a new pair, but I am damn scared I'm going to get ones with shotty craftsmanship.

I have 735s that are over a year old. I have replaced holders but more because I'm experimenting than anything else, but all in all they have been excellent and have been holding up very well. Mine were only $399, and I got them locally. They have a few cuts on the boot (probably from me!), but they are still stiff and holding up. I play beer league and coach a few nights a week.

I am surprised that you have narrow feet and have these. Granted, mine are EE width, but the 735s are typically narrow heel and wider forefoot. I have very flat wide feet, and I could probably have worn the regular D width.

I am surprised that you have narrow feet and have these. Granted, mine are EE width, but the 735s are typically narrow heel and wider forefoot. I have very flat wide feet, and I could probably have worn the regular D width.

i got them in the narrow width. they do fit pretty good, but as for craftsmanship they are definetly not in the same standard as the old grafs i had 12 years ago. i held them up to my new bauer vapor xxxx's that i'm selling because they are too big for me and i've got to say the bauer is heads and toes above the graf 735 skate. the skate is a lot stiffer, seams are straight. the bauer boot is stiff as a rock. i can actually flex the graf with one hand, don't necessarily know if that's going to be a bad thing just yet. the outsole on the bauer is also solid with no gaps, just one hell of a better quality boot. By the way, I also emailed grafcanada about a week ago looking for some advice on their line and then two days ago about the quality of the boot i received and still no answers.

I've seen that with a lot of the graf skates that come through our store with that new outsole. I don't understand how graf doesn't notice this as a problem, especially after the debacle that occurred with the entire g-series they put out. Another major problem i've seen is misaligned holders, and i mean really out of line.

Can you elaborate on the g series problems. I went in today to look at some ccm vector 06 /08's, and ended up getting a pair of graf supra g5's, in narrow. I tried on a bunch of skates, and these fit me best, and they were on sale as I don't think these are made anymore. The quality control seems pretty good, although there is a little bit of difference in the allignment of the holders I think. I haven't skated on them yet.