Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damaen

Misc. Beer League Anecdotes

Im sure you guys have some crazy stories and, frankly, we all need to hear them. So i will start.

Began ice hockey yesterday, 19+ and lowest division. Friend of a friend started a team and we have like 15 people. Sounds great, right? SOme highlights, in point form:

- mostly roller hockey players, of 15 ppl maybe 4 have ice experience.

- before the game several boxes came out containing new gear. Skates, mostly. Saw some price tags on pants, tho.

- guy from other team walks into our room. "so, we have 4 players. want to lend us some so we can get a game?" its an exibition game, so sure.

- so we have 10 players and a goalie, they have 1 sub. WE GET SMOKED. 10-2. one guy on their team is clearly above everyone else. probably had 4 goals and was unstoppable. that was awsome. and on our bench?

player1: "so, yeah. i cant stop."

Player2: "no. me neither."

Player1: "i hear it involves sliding?"

one of our guys had maybe 4 plays whistled down becuase he didnt know what off-side was. We explained it to him over and over, on the ice, in front of everyone.

such a nice bunch of guys, and this is going to be so much fun, but yeah. i am REALLY looking forward to this season. sadly somehow this exibition game has been counted as season - 1 down! 32 to go!

They'll get it! If I can learn how to stop/play with IIHF off sides then Im sure your guys can. Give em time, stay positive and let the beer/talent flow!

Thinking of inline guys new to ice, a coworker at an old job played beer league, and since he knew about me playing inline, we used to talk hockey in the coffee room at breaks. One day he comes in shaking his head. "You know a guy named Ian who plays inline?" he says. I tell him I might have crossed paths with the guy, but don't know him that well - blonde, about 5' 5", fairly fast skater?

"Fast skater? Wings on his f**king feet! Two weeks ago his pal on my team told him he should play some ice. So last week, he bought his first set of ice skates, borrowed some gear, and went to a couple of drop in sessions and public skates. Last night, we needed an extra, so he comes out. Says he's never played ice hockey before, and the other team says sure, tell him to lace'em up. Can't stop, can't skate backwards, but the little f**ker doesn't need to, cause no one can keep up with him! He ran BOTH teams ragged just trying to keep up. Once we told him to take 60 second shifts instead of 3 minutes, he got even faster."

Apparently the lighter skates took an already fast skater to another level. Being from roller, where it's more 'swooping' and less stop and go, he just kept skating circles around and around and around the play. Even guys on his own team were too tired to keep up anymore. It turned into four guys on D just firing the long pass to this rocket with the big grin who would proceed to slice through the other team, who after 40 min of trying to beat this guy to the puck or keep up at all were out of gas. The 3rd period was just a one sided break away contest.

grinder, yeah, we have a guy like that on our team. Went down a few times trying to stop, hit the boards once, but he is FAST. the ref laughed with him. "man, your fast." "yeah, but i cant stop." "still, your fast..." heh

I used to be like that in my rookie Ice season, blew a few D away. Now I get like 3 guys coming towards me everytime I get the puck I love the league I play in where charging calls never exist.

Your stories are the reason I don't even rollerblade in the offseason let alone play roller. It's a different game. I can't tell you what the difference is, but I see all these roller hockey guys come to open, thinking they were great at roller and it'll be the same on ice, and now they can't skate, can't stop, can't shoot, can't pass and generally feel like they can't participate in the game.

No matter how fast you are going in a strait line, the second you turn is the second a ice hockey player lifts your stick and takes the puck from you. But hey, keep skating, learn to stop [on both feet (in and out)], practice skating in circles and master your edges, get used to the heavier puck and you'll be good in no time.

Some guys on my Ice team are always asking me to come out and play roller with them. I say no thanks as I am reasonably sure I'd be pulling a Tom Brady when I tried to stop.

Here are some pictures and videos of the Labatt Blue tournament from this past weekend (Wake Forest, NC). My team and the girls team (the Hookers) are friends so one of us decided to pull a little prank on them. My buddy (male) told the captain of the Hookers that he was going to skate with them during the warm-ups. She proceeded to tell the rest of the team that they picked up a new girl from Canada. We told the refs also to make sure he wouldn’t be kicked out.

The Hookers’ jerseys are pink and we have a pink jersey and socks that we bet instead of money. You lose the bet, you wear the “puni” (pink uniform) to pick-up next time. So he puts on the pink jersey, socks, pink laces, and a wig and jumps on the ice. The reactions were classic! The other team was very confused and perhaps a little bit scared. A direct quote was “That’s a big bitch!” He also went out for the post game handshake and some of the girls from the other team actually wouldn’t shake his hand.

The whole thing was hilarious and I wish I had better video of it, but this is what I do have. Enjoy!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

I'm in the Blue shirt.

It was me, and yes, it turned out very well.. It was even funnier than I was hoping/expecting! I couldn't believe how many people were taking pictures and stuff. I kept seeing flash after flash in my peripheral.

Like Brian said, only their captain knew in advance, as well as their goalie. Afterwards, the girls told me it took a good minute before they knew it was me. What you don't see in the videos is me hooking one of them to the ice, or slashing another one (not hard)... I only did stuff like that to the girls that I'm close friends with.

In this tourny you have to bring your own pucks.. I think the 4th vid shows me stealing a puck from the other team to take back to our end to fire it off the glass as hard as possible.. hahaha

They were dying once i stopped skating around and coasted up to them at the bench. They were squinting to try to look through the cage, and then they recognized me, and started laughing.

As far as the handshakes went, some of the other team was laughing, some looked confused, and a couple pulled their hands back and didn't shake my hand. Not sure why, but maybe they didn't realize I was friends with the team I warmed up with and thought I was making fun of women's hockey... I feel bad if that's the case, but I don't think it came off like that, and that certainly wasn't my intention.