Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gymmonster

Use of ringer players in beer league hockey in finals...

Well, we lost game two of our best of 3 finals tonight but I found out that the other team used ringer players who were not on the roster. The players they used play tier 2 while our team is in tier 10 so there is a huge skill discrepancy. Further, the players who they brought in to play for them ended up scoring the game winning and insurance goal late in the third period.

The only reason that I know they're ringers is because my signifant other is friends with the players and the player's sig others on the other team and they told her.

Thus here is the question I'm faced with.

Do I file a formal complaint with the league and request that an ID check be done for tomorrow's final and decisive game, or do I just let it go? If I file the complaint it's very likely that the other team will figure out that my girlfriend told me about what happened and might cause a lot of tension within her group.

It's also the league policy to disqualify teams from the playoffs for the use of ringers, therefore we technically would automatically win the finals.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? I'm just really pissed off because I feel like the other team is showing very poor sportsmanship and integrity by cheating to beat us.

cheating is cheating no matter what way you put it, if it was me i would file a complaint just becasue the league needs to be able to have some roster control orelse is would be no point in having seperate divisions. i tihnk i know where your coming from where you dont care too too much if you guys win or loose the championship and its just a mens league so its not life or death, but you might aswell get a fair chance and get your monies worth instead of having poor sports bring in some studs and have them walk all over you guys and ruin your championship team. if it can be proven that the players who were playing last week we not rostered then in my opinion and using simple logic i say the team that won should have to forfiet the win and be done with their season if that is the concequence to loosing.

cheating is cheating no matter what way you put it, if it was me i would file a complaint just becasue the league needs to be able to have some roster control orelse is would be no point in having seperate divisions. i tihnk i know where your coming from where you dont care too too much if you guys win or loose the championship and its just a mens league so its not life or death, but you might aswell get a fair chance and get your monies worth instead of having poor sports bring in some studs and have them walk all over you guys and ruin your championship team. if it can be proven that the players who were playing last week we not rostered then in my opinion and using simple logic i say the team that won should have to forfiet the win and be done with their season if that is the concequence to loosing.

hmm well it can easily be proven because at the time of the game, the actual players whom the ringers played as were on a vacation out of the country.

I agree with you that we as a team only want a fair chance to win the finals. If we lose to their full roster team then no big deal, but it just doesn't feel right to lose to players who obviously are 8 tiers above you and are dancing around you with ease. It is just mens league and we're all just out to have a good time, just isn't too great when you're getting schooled by players who shouldn't be in the game.

I think I'm more worried about causing tension with my gf's friends if I were to say anything, since really the only way my team knows is because she told me and I recognize the players on the other time as we hang out sometimes

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Anything but, as you said its againt league rules for teams to have ringers, and also like you said, the other team is using ringers to win.

File a complain. Fuck em.

Didn't you play this team during the regular season? I would think it would be easy point out to the league there was something fishy going on without revealing inside information. But regardless, who care about offending a bunch of cheaters anyway. I say call them on it.

If you don't file a complaint it won't ever stop. ext season it will be another team with a few more ringers.Once a team is disqualified for this it makes the other teams think twice. If they had the skill to make it to the finals with thier regular players they shouldn't need extra talent.

Unfortunately if it like alot of men's leagues they won't do anything.

Its beer league and sadly this will happen sometimes. Just roll with it, if the championship tee shirt is that important to the other team then you have plenty of fodder to raz them next season.

I think you should call them on it. In our league every player has a picture ID. Make them prove they are who they claim to be. I think that 90% of the time the refs know these kids and let it go. If they check before the game, you should till be allowed to play who remains, right?

I would not be worried about your girlfriend so much because it is always legitimate to check a line up. It is nice of you to be concerned about her, but I think you're okay on this one.

Do us all a favor and stick it to these guys!

The best option would be to have one of the other guys on the team file the complaint or ask for the ID check. That should offer a bit of protection for your girlfriend.

Does the league have a policy about possible random ID checks ? Some of the leagues I have played in would periodically conduct ID checks; if this is the case in yours there is no reason the other team need even know that a complaint was filed. If I cared, I would complain that you specifically recognized that their best players were not the same players who were wearing the same jerseys the last time you played. It may not be obvious that your girlfriend ratted them out as most players should know who the best players on the other teams are - or aren't. Or just have someone else make the complaint.

Having said that, if the guys they added were hugely better than the rest of their team, and you guys played to a close game, it makes me think you would have blown them out had the ringers NOT been there. Personally, I'd prefer to lose an exciting close game than to win a game I know we're going to win before the puck even drops - t-shirt or no t-shirt. But I know not everyone feels the same way.

Ringers are lame. I dont want a hollow victory with ringers, and I dont want to lose unfairly playing against them. They have no place in adult rec hockey....but more importantly...YOU PAY TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE. You pay your hard earned money to be in a league that has fair play. The rink took your money and has an obligation to monitor, and act upon, these violations. Otherwise it is just open hockey with refs. It is the principle here....bust these losers and win or lose the championship fairly and with honor. You paid money for a fair league....now go beat those pussies.

Doesn't say much for the ringers either. If you get your confidence boosted by whipping up on a teams you know you can beat, what good are you? It's like telling someone you can beat up their 5 year old.

Doesn't say much for the ringers either. If you get your confidence boosted by whipping up on a teams you know you can beat, what good are you? It's like telling someone you can beat up their 5 year old.

+1. I understand if a team lost say 2 of their best 3 players and were looking for fill-ins. I wouldn't complain about that but what this other team did stinks. Call them on it, ID check please!

If you don't file a complaint it won't ever stop. ext season it will be another team with a few more ringers.Once a team is disqualified for this it makes the other teams think twice. If they had the skill to make it to the finals with thier regular players they shouldn't need extra talent.

Unfortunately if it like alot of men's leagues they won't do anything.

The sad thing is all too many leagues don't enforce their own policies regarding ringers....

We had a similar thing happen a couple seasons ago when the leading scorer from two divisions up came out to play against us. The guy has a four point night and scores the game winning goal. Needless to say we were a little pissed. After we issued a complaint, rules were put in place the following year.

My best advice is get a copy of the league rules and print it off. If you suspect any cheating/ ringers the best time is to bring it up to the referee before the game starts. Often the refs don't fully know all the rules in place. Having a copy on hand will go a long way to pleading your case.

I'm not sure if it is sport specific, but many people that I know who play soccer say that ID checks are much more common, and better enforced.

Div 2 to Div 10, did these guys score 5 each?

How could this not be obvious and reported? If it was some guys from div 8 or 9 coming down I personally wouldn't make much of it, but 8 divs, this might be the biggest drop to bring in a ringer I have ever heard about. How could you guys not report this.

its beer leauge.. i doubt, that the league will do anything unless somebody reported at the game. I think somebody should have noticed there were guys that didn't belong. In anycase, just take pride in the fact that you guys played fair. And if they need to win with ringers so be it. Also if those ringers can sleep at nite playing in what? 8 divisions lower? then good for them. Unless there was a huge prize at the end that was worth fighting for. I'd just leave it, and try to catch them in the act next time.

Ha! My league did a ringer check once before a playoff game. All that it involved was checking your name off of a list. No ID check or anything else... It's the thought that counts right? :lol:

Depends how good they were compared to your league...it sounds like it was pretty obvious though.

We've all been through it. If a team is short and brings in a couple guys who aren't on the roster, and they are generally of the same talent, I don't mind, but if they are like the best guys on the new team, then it's a problem. If it's a regular season game I wouldn't file a formal complaint, I would usually say something to the ref like 'who are these guys?', but if it was playoffs I'd get the league involved for sure.

Our league has a sticker that everybody must wear on their helmet, you can get around it by just giving your helmet to someone else if you are going to be away...but it's a bit of protection against ringers at least. We had a kid come on once with an OHL lid and he scored about 5 goals, it was a late late game so nobody said anything, but the ref told him next game he'd be checking line-ups and if they did it again they'd be defaulted.

Our rink allows you to sub within your division or up, but does not allow you to sub down at all. You also have to be on some roster prior to playing in any game. The official rosters are kept in the pointstreak system and they don't allow adding players after the mid-point of the season. One team picked up a goalie that played juniors somewhere and had to forfeit the playoff game.

The ringers scored all the goals that game to beat us last game.

We are playing a best of 3 series with us winning the first game 3-2 (without them using ringers) and losing the second game 3-1.

The problem with the ringers is that they were given jerseys of other members who were on the team and the real playes were sat out.

So the ringers played as the real players and wore their jersey. It's pretty obvious to anyone that the ringers were brought out because they were not happy about losing the first game to us, and I'm fairly certain that they will be used again tonight against us.

We filed a formal complaint today but we did not dispute the second game. We accept what happened in game 2 and requested the league comish to do a random ID check during the first intermisson of BOTH teams (to keep it fair).

He has agreed to our request so we'll see what happens tonight.

yeah if its not too late bring it to the refs official before the game, and they'll verify id. once ringers are gone, then you can proceed to kick their asses on the ice. good luck

Our league has random checks but you can also file a complaint. What our league does, is the team filing the complaint has to put up $100 cash, if you are right you get your money back and the offending team loses. The captain of the team also gets a suspension. If you are wrong, then they keep the cash. They check ID matched up with the roster list and to play in the playoffs you have to had played at least like 7 games in the regular season and at least 1 before a cut-off date or something.

This summer season we had a player join D-level beer league, who just got out of JR A and played a season of OUA (ontario university). Needless to say, he got more than half of his teams total goals and more goals than some teams got all together. I do not understand the fun for the kid, nor understand the fun for the team. :rolleyes:

Let us know what happens...