Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolarWind

How long before giving up on skates?

Basically I'm wondering how long should I keep my new skates before confirming that maybe they aren't going to fit after all?

I bought brand new XXXX a month ago, properly baked them, spend about 10 hrs on ice (pick-up/stick & puck/public skating)

The skates seemed to feet well @ home when I was just sitting in them, and even on ice initially (for the first 15-20 minutes).

but then I started getting blisters - with time they almost went away, but bruses on the inside ankle bone (don't know the name for it sorry) are still there - the skates seem to be a bit too narrow, and since there isn't much padding & the skate is very stiff when laced even semi-tight it hurts quite a bit

Also the depth is border line with standard insoles (wasn't enought with superfeets)

so the question is should I keep skating hoping things would turn for better (or punch maybe), or just sell the skates until it's too late [skates are still new basically - no marks] & buy One95 (as they're wider & deeper)?

well - that's the thing - they aren't cheap skates, so maybe they just aren't broken in yet & will magically improve or something?

plus regarding finding what works - as many discovered what seems to fit in store won't necessarely fit in the long run...

If the depth isn't good enough, those things are probably going to hurt like hell until the end of time. I'd heat them again see if it helps and if not, unload them while they still have best possible resale.

Are the Superfeet necessary? Taking them out might help with your depth problem.

Was depth considered when the skates were initially bought? Like Keith mentioned, nothing you can do to add depth.

If they haven't broken in a reasonable amount of time try rebaking and take your time while doing it, making sure you don't walk around on them until they are sufficiently moulded and cooled off.(at least 24 hrs.) give them a few more outings and if they're still painful look into another pair and get what you can for these. Shouldn't have a lot of problems unloading these puppies because they're a very popular skate. Have the guys at the local hockey shop evaluate your foot for length,width and shape and recommend the best model for your foot. People with wider feet usually don't fit well into a slimmer skate like a Mission or standard D width Nike/Bauer. Skate depth may also be a concern so the trick is to get you into a skate that suits you type of foot. Punching out the skate is usually reserved for hot spots and can be effective but it sounds like your feet are generally uncomfortable all over so you need to find a boot that fits properly.

What model skates had you been wearing before?

How tight are the laces? Maybe the skates are being tightened too much or too little.

What size is your foot and what size is the skate?

Did you try on 1/2 size larger and smaller when you bought the skates? Maybe you bought the wrong size if you were not able to compare the fit.

Are you wearing socks? How thick or thin?

Take out the footbed and stand on it. Let us know how much room is at the front with your toes. A little or a lot?

How often do you skate each week?

I would say you give up on your skates when the foot "pain factor" of the aftermatch of playing hockey, is consistanly more than the "fun factor". Or when you go on the ice your always thinking about how your skates feel rather than the pass your going to make. Or when you think about "turning on the jets" to catch somebody, but subconsionly you think - "...Naaaa its going to hurt my feet too much..."

Also you should try most conventional "fixing" methods, like a 2nd bake, a punch or a boot stretch....

You did not mention where your blisters are located....most likley the heal.

Try 2 or 3 more skates, make sure you double knot when you tie your skates at the top, sounds like they may be loosening while you skate, then the problems start - because then more foot movement starts....

Hey duch? Why should he not walk in skates while there being baked? I know the manufactures have their BAKE COMMANDMENTS:

1) DO NOT WALK!

2) DO NOT FORWARD FLEX!

3) DO NOT SKATE WITHIN 24 HOURS!

But they never give reasons for this...I would like to know.

I think they dont want people walking/flexing forward during the bake because it can bend eyelets, bent sidewalls ect. Ive even heard of people messing up their arc when walking around during a bake.

If you forward flex in a baked boot, your ankles will create channels where the foam/padding is. Instead of creating an ankle impression bump, you will have an area for your ankle to slide along in while skating. Not a good idea. Might lead to blisters! The reason you shouldn't walk is that the boots, glues, resins, and all are now soft from the bake. The skate is in no condition at that moment to support your weight as you walk around the store. So, now you are basically blowing up the skate to hell by walking around in it while soft. Finally, give the skates 24 hours for the glues and resins to re-set and harden fully. You have just invested $500+, wait another 24 hours and then your skates are set.

thanks for the replies guys

depth isn't an issue now after I ditched superfeet

but the width still is - just a tiny bit, but enought to leave bruises...

I was skating in 9.5D 1500c before getting 9D XXXX if that matters

thanks for the replies guys

depth isn't an issue now after I ditched superfeet

but the width still is - just a tiny bit, but enought to leave bruises...

I was skating in 9.5D 1500c before getting 9D XXXX if that matters

Easton skates are wider than Bauer skates. Did you have any width problems with your synergies? I think you may have been better off with 9EE's.