Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ Thompson94

Proper equipment shopping ettiquite

Ok, we've spoken in other forums about not trying stuff on in a LHS and then going to the internet to buy the equipment. But, in the summer I'm in the market for new skates. I want to go to one shop and look at the XXXX and the One95. That shop doesn't have graf. The other shop only has graf skates.

Is it Ok to go to one shop and drive them crazy to find the right skate, if I might go to another shop and buy another pair of skates. I would think it's fine, because if I had a shop that sold Graf and NBH skates in one shop I'd go there, but since I don't have that, I have to do whats best for my feet. Tell me what you guys think.

it happens all the time, people come in, try things out and then order it online. just let them know in advance you're going to be trying out skates and that you might not purchase them today. that way, they wont be dedicating their entire time only to find out that in the end you had no intentions of purchasing the skates.

Be honest - tell them what skates you're looking at. Say that you are also looking at the other model and that it's unfortunate they don't sell it.

it happens all the time, people come in, try things out and then order it online. just let them know in advance you're going to be trying out skates and that you might not purchase them today. that way, they wont be dedicating their entire time only to find out that in the end you had no intentions of purchasing the skates.

The fact that he's asking this means he's going to buy locally. Regardless, it is not like any of those skates will be cheaper on the internet anyway. Graf and NBH both have MAP pricing. So does Easton. Once RBK/CCM does it the playing field will be level.

There's never anything wrong with making sure you get the skate that fits your foot the best.

if you tell them your deal they might price match the online retailer.

What part of "internet and LHS prices will be the SAME" don't ya get? Internet retailers can now list prices on their site, but the price is already dictated. They can't go for lower.

I have a similar situation, I want to try on skates before I buy them for obvious reasons but I have a credit on a website. I would defiantly feel like a prick going in and taking up someones time just to turn around and buy the skates online.

How long has this been the case JR? Is it a recent occurance or something thats just been on the go for awhile?

Graf has always done it, NBH and Easton this year. Product cannot be advertised lower than the set price.

honestly if there is something that I want and I find it cheaper online (including shipping / tax) then I'm going to try the item in a local retailer and purchase the item online. At the end of the day I, as a consumer, need to take care of my interests first and those interests are buying an item at the lowest price possible, period...

How long has this been the case JR? Is it a recent occurance or something thats just been on the go for awhile?

Graf has always done it, NBH and Easton this year. Product cannot be advertised lower than the set price.

Thank God for that. Price discrepancies get exhausting after a while. Some places add ridiculous markups. I see that a lot in Cali. So, I now can look online for pricing and I can use that as a guide.

As a consumer, there is also no reason not to be honest about your intentions. As long as the LHS knows this...

I have a similar situation, I want to try on skates before I buy them for obvious reasons but I have a credit on a website. I would defiantly feel like a prick going in and taking up someones time just to turn around and buy the skates online.

That would be something that we discourage. Using one business as a fitting room and another for purchases is unethical.

honestly if there is something that I want and I find it cheaper online (including shipping / tax) then I'm going to try the item in a local retailer and purchase the item online. At the end of the day I, as a consumer, need to take care of my interests first and those interests are buying an item at the lowest price possible, period...

The problem with that sort of thinking is that you're charging the LHS to do your fitting. It's like asking a repairman to come out for the free estimate to find out what's wrong. It's free, but they do it to generate business. If everyone got a free estimate then bought the parts online local repair companies would be out of business.

Your local hockey store has overhead costs that include having lights and heat/AC and nice shelves and staff on-hand so that you can come and browse their selection, physically look at items, try on equipment, hold the stick in your hands, make sure everything is suitable.

My LHS owner knows he doesn't carry skates in my size, so when I bring my skates in to get worked on he usually gives me little deals and extra work to keep me coming back. I ordered pants through him, a stick, bought my helmet, will be buying a shaft when they come in, sharpenings, tape, stick extensions, skate boot work, etc etc.

Unless he doesn't have the item and can't get it or I'm saving a significant amount on a single item (internet closeout, used gear, etc), I'm buying everything with him.

As a consumer, there is also no reason not to be honest about your intentions. As long as the LHS knows this...

Don't expect them to help you ensure you get the proper fit after you tell them you're going to purchase somewhere else.

I would'nt. Nice though for the LHS to be informed and be able to make an informed choice. I also play net in lacrosse and drop a lot of cash at the store. The owner may choose to still help fit me or not in this case. Just for the record I bought my Grafs from the shop and found the fitting and subsequent tweaking of the skate invaluable.

That's understandable, but another of your interests is having a LHS be in business when you need last minute items for your game. Somehow you need to marry the two interests, so perhaps asking him to come closer in pricing would help. You'll save some money while he'll make some money.

That would be something that we discourage. Using one business as a fitting room and another for purchases is unethical.

Chadd, totally agree that it is unethical, but everyone here does it. They'll goto a better quality store here for eg: Exercise equipment, knowingly ask the better trained salesperson; info on a treadmill then goto the cut price store and beat down the price from a lower salesperson who is simply interested in moving numbers.

Its a dog eat world and whilst I don't condone it, its a fact of life for allot of us.

I find nothing wrong with what the orig poster planned on doing. It's the same as going to a Ford dealer, try out a few cars, but also going to a Chevy dealer. If he buys the Chevy, oh well, that just comparative shopping. Thats way different than the scumbag who intentionally goes to a place to try, touch, feel and size something with the full intention to buy it online. That's just dishonest.

Chadd, totally agree that it is unethical, but everyone here does it. They'll goto a better quality store here for eg: Exercise equipment, knowingly ask the better trained salesperson; info on a treadmill then goto the cut price store and beat down the price from a lower salesperson who is simply interested in moving numbers.

Its a dog eat world and whilst I don't condone it, its a fact of life for allot of us.

I'm one of those crazy buggers that does my research online and buys locally. I just spent a few hours reading up on dive masks before going to my local scuba shop and trying on a bunch of masks. I left with a mask and new snorkel. Asking someone to give you all the information is just plain lazy. Just about everything you want to know is available online, at least in terms of specs, so going to any shop for information is kinda pointless. Obviously items where fit is important require physical contact with the equipment for proper fitting, but online savings are often much less than people generally believe.

so, are there a lot of places to go diving in PA? :) :)

I'm like you, I do all my research online and buy locally if they have it. I recently bought an item at my local pet store that they normally didn't carry. Not only did they order it for me when i asked them if they could get it, but I actually got it for LESS than if I bought it online. No hidden shipping or handling fees, but also I now have a place to go if I have a problem. I like that.

so, are there a lot of places to go diving in PA? :) :)

I'm like you, I do all my research online and buy locally if they have it. I recently bought an item at my local pet store that they normally didn't carry. Not only did they order it for me when i asked them if they could get it, but I actually got it for LESS than if I bought it online. No hidden shipping or handling fees, but also I now have a place to go if I have a problem. I like that.

There are a lot of river/quarry dives organized here but I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days. I was hoping to get PADI certification while I was down there but there just wasn't time to do it and do all the things that the wife has planned.

I agree with both opinions. I love the fact that I have a LHS to try on gear to get the right size and to check items out.

What I don't like is when the price between the LHS and the internet is large. I have no problem paying $10 to $15 more for a piece of equipment at my LHS. I do this because I am supporting a local business and getting my item then and now.

I don't like when I go to try on skates which 1) are last years model, 2) not labeled with a price, 3) the same skates are $150 cheaper on the web.

In November I was looking for a new pair of roller skates. I went to my LHS because I wanted a better fit than what I had before. I tried on Missions and RBK (the only types they carried). I loved the fit of the RBk 6K Pump. I asked the salesman the price and he says, "I think they are $350.00." I said are you sure and he said yes. That is alot of money so I told him I would think about it. When I checked hockeygiant, they had the same skates for $179.99, after I paid shipping and handling, total cost was a little under $200.00.

You can do the math. A full $150 cheaper. That is one instance of a LHS, which I might add is the only one around, trying to get rid of older stock and trying get one over on me.

There are a lot of river/quarry dives organized here

any at peach bottom?

im also with Chadd on this one. He pretty much said my position on the topic in his last post

I agree with both opinions. I love the fact that I have a LHS to try on gear to get the right size and to check items out.

What I don't like is when the price between the LHS and the internet is large. I have no problem paying $10 to $15 more for a piece of equipment at my LHS. I do this because I am supporting a local business and getting my item then and now.

I don't like when I go to try on skates which 1) are last years model, 2) not labeled with a price, 3) the same skates are $150 cheaper on the web.

In November I was looking for a new pair of roller skates. I went to my LHS because I wanted a better fit than what I had before. I tried on Missions and RBK (the only types they carried). I loved the fit of the RBk 6K Pump. I asked the salesman the price and he says, "I think they are $350.00." I said are you sure and he said yes. That is alot of money so I told him I would think about it. When I checked hockeygiant, they had the same skates for $179.99, after I paid shipping and handling, total cost was a little under $200.00.

You can do the math. A full $150 cheaper. That is one instance of a LHS, which I might add is the only one around, trying to get rid of older stock and trying get one over on me.

I don't think your LHS was trying to get one over on you. Keep in mind, they prob bought their skates earlier in the year and paid $350 wholesale for them. Hockey giant prob bought them last week from the manufacturer whose dumping warehouse inventory at special closeout price for pennies on the dollar. Your LHS is just trying to recoup their investment. Hockey giant is prob doubling their money. It's not a level playing field so don't always assume your LHS is riping you off.