Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

2008 NHL All Star Game

I don't think anyone has started an "Official" Thread to discuss who has been picked to play...coaches picks...who has been added...who got snubbed, etc...

http://www.nhl.com/allstar/2008/index.html

Okay, I'll go first...Western Conf. starter Roberto Louongo is skipping the ASG:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226854&hubname=

Fair enough...family commitment. I wont fault him for that. So...who replaces him?

Osgood? Leclaire? Legace?

Heard on tsn that they are completly changing the skills competition. There will also be a shootout competition like the slam-dunk contest in the NBA were players will get a score on 10 for the moves they pull off.

I thought ovie was going to be a starter, but I was pretty sure ilya wasn't going to be a starter, he doesnt play in a big enough market. And he isn't as much as a fan favorite as Lecavalier, Alfredson and Ovechkin

My big question about the ASG is will Rick DiPietro finally get a call up?

There has been shouts for him to get in the game before, but I think this is the year where he makes it. His play has been outstanding towards the end of last year and the start of this season. He gives an Isles a chance to win every night and keeps them in games they have no right being in.

If he does get a call up who is the likely loser? Miller? Huet? Will neither make the ASG this year?

I was also surprised that Nabokov didn't finish higher in the voting. I know I'm a sharks fan, but he has played all of the games so far this season, and has giving the Sharks a chance to win every one. Hopefully he gets in.

did they announce the entire rosters yet? or just the starters so far?

i tried to see if they had the full rosters - but didn't have any luck

Not yet...full rosters come out a little closer to the event.

So the Wings got 4 in, interesting. How do the goalies go? One each period or something? Leclaire doesn't seem to be there, though.

I get excited for skills comp every year, but IMO they're not doing a good job of it. If they really wanted to get the hardest shot, fastest skater and whatnot, they'd have each team run an official trial of their best and the top 4 from each conference get to make a run during the comp on TV.

They also need something better than the stupid 3 man relay skating forward and backward. What happened to the full-rink obstacle course?

They also need something better than the stupid 3 man relay skating forward and backward. What happened to the full-rink obstacle course?

Funny that you mention that.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/duthie/?id=226864

The skills relay has also been altered dramatically. It will involve stick-handling, saucer passes, one-timers, and goalies having a chance to try to score by shooting the puck the length of the ice (is Ron Hextall available?)

i'm a little surprised that markov/chara made it over gonchar/zubov/rafalski

you do realize zubov and rafalski are both in the west right?

yeah i do now - i guess i had a few too many when i was typing that...