Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

Good eats

No George Foreman grill anecdotes, please.

Anyone a pretty good cook?

I've finally gotten this red pepper and chicken stir fry recipe I found to where I want it by adding in an extra sweet red pepper and an extra half clove of garlic.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 sweet red pepper

1 orange

2 tablespoons chicken stock or water

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

red pepper flakes or cayenne

1 dash hot pepper sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons minced gingerroot

1 garlic clove, minced

Cut chicken into thin 2 inch long strips, set aside, cut red pepper into strips; set aside, using vegetable peeler remove thin orange rind and cut into julienne strips, set aside.

Squeeze orange and reserve 1/4 cup (50 ml) juice in small bowl, stir in chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce, set aside.

In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat; stir fry chicken until no longer pink inside, 3 or 4 minutes; remove

chicken and set aside; heat remaining oil in the wok or pan; stir fry gingerroot and garlic for 10 seconds; add orange rind and red pepper, stir fry for 1 minute or until tender crisp; stir in soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened.

Return chicken to wok and stir until heated through.

Probably the best dish I can make, and simple too.

Wasabi-crusted chicken breasts

1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread

4 teaspoons wasabi powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 eggs, beaten to blend

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/3-inch thickness between plastic wrap

4 tablespoons peanut oil

3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce

3 tablespoons sake

3 tablespoons low-salt chicken broth

3 green onions, thinly sliced

Preparation

Combine panko, wasabi powder, salt, and pepper in large shallow dish. Place eggs in pie dish. Dip chicken, 1 breast at a time, in egg, then in panko mixture. Turn to coat completely.

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté 2 chicken breasts until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.

Add teriyaki sauce, sake, and chicken broth to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Drizzle sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and serve.

The only thing I did different was roll the chicken in the wasabi powder beforehand, because apparently the taste isn't strong if you follow the directions absolutely.

With my work and hockey/coaching/reffing schedule....my crock pot is my best friend. I'm also a hunter, so I have a stand alone freezer FULL of deer meat. Venison stew is about one of my faves:

2 lbs stew meat browned in olive oil, salt and pepper

toss browned meat into a bag with flour to cover meat

also sautee 1 large onion in remaining oil and grease left from the meat

1 small package of portabello mushrooms

2 cans of diced potatoes

2 cans of okra

2 cans of diced tomatoes

1 can of diced carrots

1 can of corn

1 can of grean peas

2 cans of grean beans

2 cans of beef stock

1 table spoon of red pepper

1 table spoon of cumin

1 table spoon of thyme

1 table spoon of salt

1 tea spoon of pepper

Combine it all in a crock pot, set for 8 hours before you walk out the door in the morning.....delicious hot meal waiting for you at midnight when you get home from hockey. ;)

My girlfriend and i cook all the time. Here are 3 of my recent favorites.

--

Curried Lentils in Tomato Sauce

it's vegetarian and a martha stewart recipe, but i tell you it's a good change up ever now and again. A decent amount of spice, lots of flavor and it's really easy! If you can get some trader joe's (or other) frozen Naan (indian flat bread)it's even better.

--

Or what we had last night.

Tortilla Soup:

2 clove garlic (minced)

3 cups low sodium chicken broth

1 cup water

1 16 oz can tomatoes & green chilies

1.5 cups cooked chicken

1 tbls chili powder (or to taste)

1 tbls cummin (or to taste)

1 Lime wedged or lime juice

Tortilla chips

Optional

Cilantro

Cheese (any will do, we use montery jack)

Sour Cream

1. In a stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Coat bottom with oil, let warm, add garlic saute garlic for about a minute. Add broth, water, chicken, tomatoes and stir in spices.

2. Raise to high heat, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Serve over broken tortilla chips or broken on top. Add cheese,cilantro and sour cream to taste. Season with a good sqeeze of lime juice

--

Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

2 tablespoon butter, room temperature

1.5 tsp dried oregano

1.5 tsp grated lemon zest

4 larger red potatoes, scrubbed, halved (quartered if large)

2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast half (10 to 12 ounces)

coarse salt and ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, combine butter, oregano, and zest. On a rimmed foil lined baking sheet, rub chicken with about 3/4 of the butter mixture, being sure to rub some under the chicken skin. Wash hands! Season with salt and pepper. Rub potatoes with remaining butter, season with salt and pepper then add to baking sheet.

2. Bake, 25 to 30 minutes, tossing potatoes once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees

3. Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for a few minutes before eating. Season chicken with a squeeze of lemon since you have it.

EDIT - if you are worried about the fat don't eat the skin. Do cook the chicken skin on, it will keep the meat from drying out.

Here's an easy bachelor dish. Back in my younger years when I made $4.50 an hour, we used to buy raman noodles by the case. So here's an easy raman dish. It's pretty much put in whatever you like and have on hand. It's a great way to use leftover meats or veggies. Serving size is for one person.

1 Raman pack

1 - 2 eggs depending on amount of extra ingrdients

Meat if desired (Chicken, pork, beef, mystery meat)

Veggies if desired (I prefer brocolli, calaflour, and peppers)

Onions if on hand

Green onions if on hand

Rice if desired (day old rice works the best. I like calrose or jasmine. Brown works ok)

Some oil

Some soy sauce if desired

salt if desired

any spices you might have around. Raman flavoring, Ginger, curry, chinese 5 spice, whatever you like.

Cook the raman, but not too soft. I like mine so it's just barely soft.

Cook the meat and veggies as desired if they're not leftovers.

In a big wok or skillet, heat up some oil. Peanut oil is best, but any will do. I like the oil a little on the hotter side so that it will crisp up the noodles a bit.

After the noodles are crisped up, I throw in the rest of the ingredients. Stir it around and cook until the egg is cooked.

A nice breakfast variation is to add more eggs and make an egg foo yung omelette. It's necessary to make the egg foo yung gravy stuff, but that is available in easy to make packets.

Easiest and best thing I make it chicken alfredo in the crockpot.

Chicken.

Alfredo sauce.

Low heat for 5-6 hours.

Noodles.

Done! :) Chicken will fall apart when you touch it with a fork and to me the sauce tastes much more flavorful if you stick it in and let it cook with the chicken.

Chicken.

Alfredo sauce.

Low heat for 5-6 hours.

Noodles.

Done! :) Chicken will fall apart when you touch it with a fork and to me the sauce tastes much more flavorful if you stick it in and let it cook with the chicken.

Alfredo sauce out of the jar? A mix? From scratch? Sounds damn good.

Chicken.

Alfredo sauce.

Low heat for 5-6 hours.

Noodles.

Alfredo sauce out of the jar? A mix? From scratch? Sounds damn good.

It would have to be a "creamy" sauce out of a jar. Butter and cheese would not hold together for a few hours in a crock pot. Even when I make my own I use a bit of milk or cream to bind it a little better and make it easier to reheat leftovers.

Alfredo from a jar and then about half of the jar of milk and then put the chicken breasts in, stir it around and flip 'em around so they get all covered up in the sauce and put it on low.

I rock chili for Pats playoff games. Going to try out this recipe on Saturday:

halftime chili Bon Appétit | January 1996

A winner in the Bon Appétit Recipes Sweepstakes, a reader poll conducted in honor of our 50th anniversary.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Richard Snyder: Santa Monica, California

ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

8 large garlic cloves, chopped

3 pounds ground chuck

5 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree

1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth

1 12-ounce bottle beer

1 6-ounce can tomato paste

1 15- to 16-ounce can prepared chili beans

preparation

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add chuck and sauté until brown, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and thyme. Stir 2 minutes. Mix in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beer and tomato paste. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Mix in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover. Rewarm over low heat before serving.)

I use the Carrol Shelby's mix as a base for mine and add some ground habernero. I also believe in using chunks of real beef and not ground meat. Usually go sans beans too but I've made up some veggie 6-7 bean mixes for the wife that were pretty good.

7 bean chili for the wife? That's an interesting cookware combo. You use the stockpot for dinner, and for bedtime a dutch oven comes into play.

That is great...funniest thing I've heard all day.

7 bean chili for the wife? That's an interesting cookware combo. You use the stockpot for dinner, and for bedtime a dutch oven comes into play.

That is great...funniest thing I've heard all day.

:lol: agreed!

I'm too lazy to really cook anything of merit, but I do make myself egg/bacon/cheese sandwiches on bagels; two of 'em, every morning.

-Start off by putting the bagels in the toaster oven.

-Beat the eggs and dump 'em on the stove (egg rings work to keep it in a clean "disk")

-Re-heat the (pre-cooked) bacon.

-By now, the bagels are done - I throw two slices of cheese on each "top" and place them back in the toaster oven (don't turn it on - I just put them back in because the oven will still be warm and I want to cheese to melt a bit).

-Remove egg rings and flip eggs...wait...okay, they're done.

-Take bagels out of toaster, put the eggs on the bottom, the bacon on that and the top (which now has cheese melted onto it) on the bacon.

I'll then whip-up a CIB "shake" with half-and-half, throw the sandwiches on a plate and leave for the rink.

For the people that love making chili....

If you like crackers and cheese in your chili

buy a bag of Combos... stick the combos in the chili for 30 seconds the cheese in the middle gets gooey and the cracker gets a little softer.

Everyone that I get to try this can't eat chili without combos

I also put fritos on top but that is becoming more and more common now.

Just wait, the combo thing will catch on to.

buy a bag of Combos... stick the combos in the chili for 30 seconds the cheese in the middle gets gooey and the cracker gets a little softer.

Awesome idea. I'll pick up a bag of Combos on the way to the Pats game...hockey buddy had an extra ticket.

Reason #2,367 why I'm so glad I got back into hockey: hockey buddies with Pats season tix!

I work at Quizno's and it's the best thing I ever make. Plus I get 50% off so I end up eating there like 5 times a week. The food there is also legit, it's not junk.

It's overpriced and retards there can never take an order correctly. Not that Subway's better in service or food, but I do have an expectation of basic English comprehension when I order at a store.

I refuse to eat at subway... complete crap.

Besides, I live in Tampa where you can find good cuban sandwiches at gas stations. Chain sandwich shops just don't do it for me.

Let me know what you think ;-)

Awesome idea. I'll pick up a bag of Combos on the way to the Pats game...hockey buddy had an extra ticket.

Reason #2,367 why I'm so glad I got back into hockey: hockey buddies with Pats season tix!

There are only 3 sandwich shops that get my business: Jersey Mikes, Lenny's, and Quizno's.

BTW.....WHAT IN THE HELL were those little "rat things" that were singing and dancing on Quizno's commercials like 2 years ago? I never did figure that out. And what is a business in the FOOD INDUSTRY doing using some kind of a rodent as a spokesperson? Almost as bad as a cat being the mascot for a chinese buffet. :blink: