Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoHabsGo24

Those of you with the XXXX skate....

How are you liking them?

I am experiencing bad lace bite in my current skates, and am about to pick up either the one90 or the XXXX. I tried the XXXX on one foot, and the one90 on the other, and i am leaning towards the XXXX.

Have any of you experienced lace bite with this skate? I know someone had ankle problems, but im pretty concerned about lace bite. Does the tongue have enough protection? If not, is there a to buy an upgrade for the tongue?

Any other suggestions/comments on these skates?

BTW: I did do a search, and read all of them. Im more concerned about lace bite than anything else.

I had the one90's last year and I experienced some nasty lace bite, plus they were way to stiff in my opinion, and took way to long to break in. I got the xxxx's and I like them alot more. Thats just me though.

Habs:

Do yourself a huge favor and try them on. I tried the One90 and had unbearable pain in the ankle bone. I then switched to the XXXX...and didn't even need to bake them...t was as if they were made for my foot. They are VERY different that the XXX, so just try them on.

I have already tried on the XXXX, s15, and one90. I have not tried on the CCM/RBK skates, as i have heard bad things about them, and other than my current eastons, i've worn Bauer my whole life...

I thought the s15 was flexing it all the wrong spots, and although really light, it didnt feel stable, and felt kinda cheap IMO

The one90 felt nice, and asthetically i like it much more than the XXXX, but it was a tad less comfortable. i tried it on for 20 mins.

I also tried on the XXXX for 20 mins, it felt like it had a little less support, but was more comfortable, and seemed like the better option.

I am in Easton Airs with LS2s right now. Maybe 4-5 years old. They have been great skates, but as i mentioned, the lace bite is killing me :(

How exactly do you measure skate depth, and generally how do you know what's right for you? Can this only be acheived by trying on a skate, or are there other factors involved?

I have been skating with the XXXX's since June.I skate about 3-4 times a week. They are sweet! They give me great support.I like that they are really stiff. I came from a ccm vector 6 skate to these.

I have already tried on the XXXX, s15, and one90. I have not tried on the CCM/RBK skates, as i have heard bad things about them, and other than my current eastons, i've worn Bauer my whole life...

I thought the s15 was flexing it all the wrong spots, and although really light, it didnt feel stable, and felt kinda cheap IMO

The one90 felt nice, and asthetically i like it much more than the XXXX, but it was a tad less comfortable. i tried it on for 20 mins.

I also tried on the XXXX for 20 mins, it felt like it had a little less support, but was more comfortable, and seemed like the better option.

I am in Easton Airs with LS2s right now. Maybe 4-5 years old. They have been great skates, but as i mentioned, the lace bite is killing me :(

How exactly do you measure skate depth, and generally how do you know what's right for you? Can this only be acheived by trying on a skate, or are there other factors involved?

Some LHS have a Graf fitting tool that will tell you if you need a high or low volume boot. Also, you can take a pencil and lay it across like the 3rd to last eyelit on the top while you have the skate on (tongues out)--if you can't lay the pencil flat then you need a deeper boot.

I've had mine a few months now. They are perfect for me at least. Not one problem up to this point , I am very pleased. I find that they give me great support, protection and comfort all in one. I previously had Bauer supreme 80-90's.

I have not tried on the CCM/RBK skates, as i have heard bad things about them

what have you heard? vectors have proven reliable skates (from what i have read, seen and from my own personal experience). i don't know about rbk.

I think the problem with the RBK K line was the looks, not really the quality, especially in the higher end model 7K and 8K. A lot of guys just didn't like the black and grey mixture on them. Heard a lot of complaints they looked cheap or tacky. I own the 8K's and they are a very good quality skate and I love the fit. Sill I prefer my Eastons at the moment. They just feel better on the ice.

I just went to the LHS and tried on a pair of 9D XXXX's. I wear a 10D in my eastons, and usually a 10.5/11 in shoes. Does this sound like the right size? They didnt have an 8.5 to try, and the 9.5 was a tad big.

I also looked pretty closely at the padding on the tongue, and it seems pretty good, i am just paranoid as i know first hand how much lace bite hurts :(

I came from one90s to XXXX's because my ankle bones apparently didnt line up with the pockets on the one90s once they started to break in. I liked the xxxx's alot more once i got in them, coming from a vapor boot before i got the one90s. they are more than stiff enough, offer good protection and i have not yet had any lacebite issues. other than having to get the ankle punched out, they have been a great skate for me. I have had them about 2 months now, skating 2-4 times a week.

I love my XXXXs, although I'm not happy that the outsole is separating. My LHS has to call NBH to get a replacement pair.

Do yourself a favor and try the skate on BOTH feet, your left foot is more than likely not the same as your right foot. If they are the same, you are probably a robot.

do you find that with the xxxx's you are more "on your toe's" compared to the one90's? I mean which has a more lent froward skating style?

If that makes any sense lol

I love my XXXXs, although I'm not happy that the outsole is separating. My LHS has to call NBH to get a replacement pair.

Do yourself a favor and try the skate on BOTH feet, your left foot is more than likely not the same as your right foot. If they are the same, you are probably a robot.

I did try them on both feet yesterday, thanks for the suggestion...

I will probably pick them up tomorrow.

TBL, where in Tpa do you play? i used to play down in ellenton when i lived in st pete.

cool...

So i was just looking at the skate sizing tool at hockey giant, and it said that a size 10 Easton (which i have now) is the equivalent to a size 10.5 Bauer. I thought it was Bauer that was meant to run smaller? I know i know, i should try them on, but i was wondering what i "should" be in based on my current skate. I will obviously base my decision on how they feel in the store.

Done deal, picked up the 9D. they still didnt have the 8.5, but my toe was just touching in the left, and almost touching in the right. had them baked, and now they arent touching... they feel great, just need to get a skate in before i play next.

So far I am extremely happy. They feel much better than my 8090's....and those felt great. I definitely had some pitch issues at first, especially transitioning at high speed from forward to back. I actually am am skating with better posture than I was in the 8090's, more knee bend and better stride extension.

The boot is very, very stiff, but unlike the 8090, I dont feel like I have to leave the top eyelet undone.

Too early to saty anything about durability, but I had no pain in my first skate with them. Baked once.

I have not liked any previous Vapors and I was very surprised to find myself buying them. It was strange- usually when buying skates there are two or three pairs that are close in feel and I almost have to split hairs to pick one pair out- it was nothing like that this time, these things were perfect. Oddly enough the closest in comfort were the 9k's. The XXII's were really narrow and painful in the toebox.

doesn't matter how much padding the tongue has, you can still get lace bite if the configuration of the tongue and laces relative to your ankle don't agree. last two pair of skates i've owned i've experienced lace bite during breakin and both have high quality tongues (my current skates are vector 10.0s). just get a bunga pad and keep your current skates if they are still in good condition.

did some of you just not bake em? I don't intend to...

I'm asking because in a 7, my left foot seems fine but my right foot, my second toe is touching and it drives my crazy (I guess I'm scared to take em too small), the 7.5 seems fine but I worry that the skates might expand on brake-in even without baking...

In a XXX I'm a 7.5EE, would that equal to a XXXX 7.5D or should I go 1/2 size down to a 7D...

I hate wen skates do that, in a 9K, a s15 and S500, it seems like it's easy to fit myself in terms of size...

I had the One90's and liked them but they hurt my feet terribly due to the stiffness for the first month or so. Before the One90's I wore XXX's so after my One90's I went to the XXXX and loved them. Great skate, very light and was not nearly as stiff. I am currently in the RBK 9K's and I like them more then my Vapors. I was suprised because I never had an open mind to this. But between the XXXX's and the One90's I would deffinitly go Vapor line.