Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

santiclaws

Chiseling

Hey folks,

I've read a lot of people on here who've talked about "chiseling out" the remaining hosel out of a broken OPS to turn it into a shaft. How, exactly, do you do it? I've searched, but found zip.

I've given it a bit of a shot on a broken XN10 OPS, and I can't even put much of a dent in the hosel. There's virtually no space between the shaft and the hosel, either, I can hardly tell where one begins and the other ends. Help!

No need to chisel, my man. The XN10 is one of the few that can be heated and just pull the broken blade out. Look down towards the end of the shaft. Typically, you can see the fused/expoxy point represented by a crack in the paint (it'll be pretty thin and faint, but likely be there if you used it long enough). The crack is essentially created by the expoxy/ceramic filler (whatever they use to fill the crack in for a smooth paint finish) flexes at a different rate than the composite so it always has some sort of hairline crack along there (presuming you used the stick quite a bit - if it's new and you just stepped on the blade, maybe not so much).

Regardless, no chiselling dude.

No need to chisel, my man. The XN10 is one of the few that can be heated and just pull the broken blade out. Look down towards the end of the shaft. Typically, you can see the fused/expoxy point represented by a crack in the paint (it'll be pretty thin and faint, but likely be there if you used it long enough). The crack is essentially created by the expoxy/ceramic filler (whatever they use to fill the crack in for a smooth paint finish) flexes at a different rate than the composite so it always has some sort of hairline crack along there (presuming you used the stick quite a bit - if it's new and you just stepped on the blade, maybe not so much).

Regardless, no chiselling dude.

Unfortunately, that train has left the station. I tried and tried to pull it out, but no go. During my attempts, the remaining blade just broke off even more and there was very little left to hold on to, so I had no choice but to cut it off at the fuse point.

A dremmel tool can do the job, but it's imprecise and takes a while. I put in a drill bit to get out most of the hosel and then used a sanding bit. I've done it twice where it worked, once where the drill bit actually pierced the wall of the shaft....

You can also cut above the fuse point and still fit a tapered blade (potentially with some tape), but of course you'd need an end plug...

Happened to me with my XXX lite. Be careful if you use a drill bit.

Good point - wear goggles and watch those hands. Your XN10 won't do you much good if you're missing a couple of digits...

You can also cut above the fuse point and still fit a tapered blade (potentially with some tape), but of course you'd need an end plug...

I think may be the route I'll try. Works, great. If not, oh well. I don't have a dremel or a workbench and I kind of like having ten fingers.

Come to think of it, any reason it should not work with a good old-fashioned file?

Come to think of it, any reason it should not work with a good old-fashioned file?

Depending on what it looks like inside the shaft, you may need a way to get some of the junk out of the middle of the shaft and create room for the file. And be prepared for a long haul....

Someone on here in a different topic that he would heat up the fuse point, stick a piece of reebar in the other end and push down. Saves a hell of a lot of pulling.

Home depot? Lowes?

Make sure you don't get it stuck into the tennon of the blade. Ive done that a few times. Not fun getting it out. That is if I could get it out.

I cut at the fuse point, and then I can see the epoxy joining the hosel to the shaft; it is a lighter/whiter layer.

I chisel perpendicular to the hosel surface at the corners so that, as I chisel out the hosel, the shaft wall doesn't get deformed outwards.

I don't use a file because the carbon fibre and resin dull it quickly.

Home depot? Lowes?

Make sure you don't get it stuck into the tennon of the blade. Ive done that a few times. Not fun getting it out. That is if I could get it out.

never even thought about a rebar getting stuck into the tenon. How exactly does it get stuck ? Is it the driven so hard into the tenon that it goes through it and becomes stuck inside ?

Chiseling? That's when you skate up to the ref and tell him you tipped in that goal, or you had an assist. Some guys chisel all the time.