Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

MSH invades the Entry Draft

Eh, screw it, I'll stay up.

Got in around 2pm - shot down from Detroit with hehatemefrisbee and stickyfingazlaviz (both work in proshops in this area). We picked up Chadd at the airport then got to the hotel.

Had lunch at the Awful Waffle (being from Michigan, Rich and Jason had never experienced Waffle House) then took a cab to Nationwide. We get there, get a beer, and just standing in the concourse area outside. I get an volunteer worker come up to me and said, "That man and boy over there know you from Orlando."

I turn around and they were old customers of mine back when I worked at RDV.

Small world - and a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I'm talking to them and someone comes up to me - I didn't recognize him. Sticks out his hand and says "Don't you know me?" And I'm like "umm..." and he's like "I'm David Perron."

The little bugger got a haircut.

Met him and his parents, of course, you know I stick out like a sore thumb at these hockey event thingies (and it isn't because of the MSH jersey) and then they had to get him all suited up so we said goodbye.

We then hit O'Shaughnessy's for a few rounds. I was exchanging texts with Kovy_Ribs and he said that David wanted to know if I would like to sit with him since it was just him and his family. I said yes but then he was really nervous about the whole thing and decided to ride it out with his parents, which is completely understandable.

We got to our seats and cheered like hell when the Blues picked him up.

Went to the bar afterwards and I kept on walking in and out of it (I get claustrophobic, especially when a quiet bar becomes somewhat of a club) and noticed a lot of the draftees were walking to their hotels. Didn't see David out there but saw Esposito and Eller signing stuff for kids.

We left the bar and ran into Voracek as we were getting into our cab. Congratulated them all.

Went back to the hotel and had a nightcap in the hotel lounge. Dropped Chadd off at the airport then when I got back to the room I texted David. Asked him if he was at the hotel - he said he was at the Draft watching one of his teammates being drafted. I didn't have plans to go to the 2nd day but decided that I should. We got down there around 1230, drove smackdab through the pre-Gay Pride parade festivities, then pulled up to Nationwide. Got into the arena and gave him a shout.

He came down with his parents and we decided to take some pictures. He insisted on me putting on his draft jersey (the autograph hounds started to line up, and I know they were like "the Blues didn't draft a brotha!" so we took a pic with that, then I gave it back to him. But the funniest thing happened afterwards - his mom pulled out a MSH t-shirt. Kovy_Ribs wanted MY autograph!

We then shot home, but made a stop at the Hockey Stop store on Bethel and checked out the store. There are a few MSHers who work there, but none were there today. (BTW - nice store, iron_ghost)

All in all, we had a fun time, and I know this sounds cliche, but "I'd like to thank the city of Columbus for their hospitality!" No, really, this is my second time in Columbus and I guess I forgot how diverse the city really is. I was up there 3 yrs ago and I noticed that, and I totally forgot about that. Even ran into a Dominican guy at the bar, that was funny. We had a good time and we're planning a road trip for a game down there.

I'd also like to thank David and the Perron family for being so gracious. I told them that I would see them soon, and that's no lie. I'm contacting RBK on Monday - I'm going to get a Blues jersey and then I'll get Perron 07 from Stahl's and get it lettered up. I'll send it up to David to sign and I'll display it in the store.

We'll have the pics up later. Some good, some bad, and some ugly...

More pics -

Jason, Rich, JR and David taken today

draft6.jpg

Nationwide

draft1.jpg

draft3.jpg

Draft? What Draft?

draft4.jpg

The two flight attendants pull that off pretty well. Jason and I look like Rockettes rejects.

draft5.jpg

Had you been to the arena before, JR? Thyat was definitely you guys that I saw. I just caught the back of the jerseys and wasn't sure they were MSHs, that's why I didn't yell. :) Wish I would've. Call when you decide to come down for a game, we'll hook up then.

which ones you JR?

The one who REALLY sticks out at hockey events...

Had you been to the arena before, JR? Thyat was definitely you guys that I saw. I just caught the back of the jerseys and wasn't sure they were MSHs, that's why I didn't yell. :) Wish I would've. Call when you decide to come down for a game, we'll hook up then.

Never have been.

It was very nice. Not sure how Columbus draws but it is a great atmosphere.

They sure love McConnell...got a huge standing ovation.

Why is he in a wheelchair?

which ones you JR?

The one who REALLY sticks out at hockey events...

hahaha, you and me both buddy! Although you're darker than I am, most guys don't notice a light skinned Rican but once they find out the jokes never end! :angry:

haha B)

Sounds like you guys had a blast! JR giving out autographs, I wonder how much that will fetch on ebay!

Sounds like a sick strip. I would have like to meet you and Chadd but believe me JR, we lose nothing to wait!!! I'll say the thanks wish to my parents from you.

BTW, thanks for the autograph even if I have not seen it yet, my familly should be back around 2 this morning...

It was a damn fun trip thats for sure. JR didnt include all of the pics though! Haha, all i have to say is that there are some beautiful babies in Columbus, and some that arent so beautiful..... :angry:

Yeah, we have a flavor for any taste you might prefer. :P

JR, not sure about McConnell, I just know he's pretty old. He's a really nice guy and has done a lot for the city. He wants to win, hopefully the pieces he's starting to put into place will do that for him.

Scott, you might have been able to recognize those MSH jerseys better if you hadn't made the Monkeys' jerseys look the exact same 'cept with the awesome tie-down.

It was a great atmosphere, we went over after we finished choking in our 3-on-3 game (blew a 3-0 lead to tie 3-3). By the time we got in we were forced to search for seats in the club level. We endd up breaking down our group from 6 people to 2 groups of 3. I ended up in C1 or C2. Where was everyone else sitting?

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to see the Jackets pick one of my old teammates (Trent Vogelhuber).

My congrats againt to David and Trent.

That was the local kid who was picked last?

Don't worry - there really isn't Mr. Irrelevant picks in the NHL. He'll play somewhere.

For those who don't know, the last pick in the NFL Draft is named "Mr. Irrelevant" and they get a parade at Disney World.

yeah, JR.

Mr. Irrelevant, even if he doesn't play in the show he still get sremembered for being the first person from Columbus area to get drafted in the NHL.

It's closer than I'll ever get and I'm happy for him. Great guy.

Again, congratulations David, what you accomplished is really something unique.

And Kovy, it's really none of my business but i'm curious to know why you couldn't go with your family.

JR...Very cool. Thanks for recounting the events for those of is stuck at home. I didn't even have a TV this weekend. Helping my GF move, and her TV/Internet isn't set up yet...so I didn't even find out how the draft went until late Saturday afternoon.

David...Congrats. Hoping you have a quick road to the NHL from here, and a long career.

Will you be AHL Eligible when the season starts? or are you back to Jr. (barring a great camp and a roster spot in the Show, obviously).

I'll be front and center when Peoria comes to town if that is the case.

Cheers.

LOL here's one post-party shot...Sleeping Beauty had to catch an early flight...

chaddsleep.jpg

Go ahead, rub it in. You get to enjoy a second day at the draft and I have to spend it at the fucking Pittsburgh Zoo.