Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djinferno

Flashy skates

I was at my LHS this weekend to try on skates, more precicely 9k's...

I tried on the white versions because since back in the day with Denis Savard in the Daout days, I love those type of skates...

The guy at the store told me that he would not buy those unless he was the best player out there, he said that it was a flashy showoff skate and that he would not feel confortable wearing em...

Now I heard people echo this sentiment in the past, I don't really agree with this...

I see it like a special edition car of a funky colorred pair of shoes, if i'm going to pay that much for something why can't it be special??? I'm not the best player but I feel I'm a solid player, does the style of my skates matter?

How do you feel about it?

I think that if you like them enough , and if they fit good you should get them for sure. Don't worry about what others are saying.

I really don't think the white skates are really all that flashy, especially when compared to a lot of companies standard issue stuff. Really, I think the only piece of equipment someone could where that would compel me to give them crap is a mirrored visor.

Hockey is a very team-oriented sport and culture, so traditionally, standing out with flashy gloves or skates is viewed as too individualistic.

Hockey is a very team-oriented sport and culture, so traditionally, standing out with flashy gloves or skates is viewed as too individualistic.

This is the type of comments i'm talking about, it seems like this sentiment is very prevelent in hockey...

This is the type of comments i'm talking about, it seems like this sentiment is very prevelent in hockey...

That's why hockey players are traditionally seen as humble. But now it seems like it is changing, just like it did for football and baseball.

If you like those white-accented 9Ks and have a thick skin, go for it! You only live once! But, another thing to beware of is that some hitters will be thinking or saying on the bench, "let's hit that guy in the white skates / neon gloves / etc.".

people say the whit 9k's are too flashy but no one says anything about vapor xxxx's or vector 10.0? black and white are traditional, yes most "traditional" skate are MOSTLY black with a little white, but break the mold a little bit, and have more white than black, big deal. but the chrome all over the 10.0's and the vapor xxxx, with bright red and blue is what i dont like. the only aspect i dont like of the rbk skates is the neon green logo/pump.

Nehh...players should be able to wear whatever they want. I agree that if you spend so much money on a skate, then you should be able to get exactly what you want, regardless of skill or talent.

Since you're probably a pretty solid player, flashy / expensive skates shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you had your ankles on the ice and can barely move, the higher end skates are probably not for you.

Go with the white if that's what you prefer. The trend for skates in general over the last 10-15 years is for them to become flashier. Every skate manufacturer has evolved in their design process and incorporated newer, more high-tech, albeit flashier materials. Ask some adults what they think of the looks of today's skates and more often than not their responses will be negative..."UGLY." You don't really have a choice with skates like you do with your shield, or gloves. Unless you're a total duster you should be fine wearing white.

I don't have a problem with flashy skates or any equipment for that matter. Hell, if I was made of money I would go out and custom order a pair of Graf reverse great whites for myself. I just think those skates look sweet.

Mostly white skates aren't all that uncommon (over the past 15 years or so) or even that flashy I don't think. Vectors are flashy, (dare I say tacky?). I wouldn't really think too hard about it, 9k's are great skates and if you like them get'em....now lime green holders on those would be flashy/lame and just asking for it :D

I just bought a pair of Vapor XXXX's because they fit my feet. I prefer the traditional look of the all black skate better (i.e. One90, Std 9k). I've never been a real fan of the Vapor look but hey; THEY FIT. That is what I care most about. Besides, I don't look at my feet when I play. I look at the guy who is comming across my blueline with his head down (probably admiring my skates). That guy is my favorite person on the ice and I make sure he hates me.

That perfectly sums up my opinion. To each their own though.

Honestly, after 399$, skate companies lost me, I have a hard time stomacking paying more then that for skates...

Since forever I always been jealous of people with Great white Grafs, Old White CCM's etc... So these white 9K's might pursuade me to spend the cake required to get them... might!

That perfectly sums up my opinion. To each their own though.

I'm with you. The more plain, the better.

Good or bad, you stand out to the opposing team if you wear flashy gloves, skates, shield, etc. They always know to watch for you if you're good, and they know to chirp the hell out of you if you're bad.

WIth the 5k's also available in white, they proabbly won't seem all that flashy if enough people are wearing them.

WIth the 5k's also available in white, they proabbly won't seem all that flashy if enough people are wearing them.

On RBK's website if you click on 9k Pumps...there is a note "*also available in white"...but they don't have that note on the 5k's. I had heard that white 5k's were coming, but I've never actually seen them.

hey bro, its your money, buy 'em if u like them.. I would buy them, not that what I think matters to you, but then again, why should u care what anyone else thinks either?..right?

I'm 40 and playing in a men's league with a center and a wing who are 18 and 19, so I'm not the best on the team and I wear Graf 709 Great Whites with yellow laces of course, and the chrome red T-Blades and nobody has said a word to me ;). I say if you want it go for it. it's al about personal preference

i have no problem with flashy... but if you have soemthing that sets you apart, people remmebr that and you do become a target... "last time that guy ..." its harder to fall back into obscurity.