Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k-ody.m

Question

I know there is probably already a topic about this, but has any body on here gone from like a canadiantire skate to like a top of the line vapor xxx ish skate and dose it really make a big difference other then weight, like did u find it helped out your game alot?? would be a huge help..because right now i have vapor VIII and would liek ot buy some like vapor xxxx or like new stealth skates but is it really worht the extra 300?? any input would be much appricated and i am 16 if that helps at all i am not like a 10 year old rich kid i hae to earn my money.

Most people I talk to switch skates to find a different fit. I am in that list as well.

As for going from Vapor VIII s to Vapor XXX s, They shound be a similar fit (there may be a little difference, I can't really say for sure because I don't know for a fact). The major differences are in the materials used to build the skate, different blades and holders and the Vapor XXX should be a stiffer, lighter skate.

I personally like a softer boot, Vapor XXX s would not work for me, however, most of the people I know that have them swear by them.

Depending on how much you play, you could even consider a more mid-range skate for a little better performance but less cost.

Never make the mistake of getting the wrong skate, fit comfort and personal confidence are priceless.

well for me, i actually liked my VIII's better than my XXX's because the higher priced skates are too light. i like to feel that i have a skate on my foot, not like im wearing a sock with a blade on it. that's exaggerating a bit, but still, i would stick with the VIII's. And you might want to elaborate on the topic, as in actually write the question in the topic

EDIT: I left out a whole half of a sentence.

It's been said many times before on this great board, go with what fits your foot the best. Try on as many different makes of skates as possible, most likely one skate will feel significantly better than the others. If vapors fits you well, stick with them. If not, look for a skate that fits/feels better. I understand the lack of support in that lower end vapors of yours. Perheps you would like to look for some high end last years skates that will give you enough support?

BTW title?! :ph34r:

For most people there is no need to get a top of the line skate. I usually suggest going down a model, sometimes two for the best value.

in my league, i dont know about you guys, but most of the guys that have NBH XXX's and one90's suck, there's like one or two guys that have them are good and they were good before they got those high-end skates. the skate didnt really have any effect at all on their performance.

I decided against the Vapor XXX and got the Vapor XIX. For my ability, there was not enough difference, other than $$$.

90% of the performance for 60% of the price works for me!

ok so i no fit is most important but say the vapor si what fits best will the xxxx be better, because there lighter and made out of composite then the VIII like is it worht 300-400 $ more i play aa so i was just wondering if i should buy a better pair of skates

ok so i no fit is most important but say the vapor si what fits best will the xxxx be better, because there lighter and made out of composite then the VIII like is it worht 300-400 $ more i play aa so i was just wondering if i should buy a better pair of skates

Excuse me Kody, I don't want to be rude here, but you've had ... what was it ... 7 or 8 people tell you in different ways that you don't need a top of the line skate. Most of them also suggested you look into a couple of models down for the best performance and price. And you've also had several people ask you to change the title to make it easier for people with the same question to search and find this thread. All of it seems pretty clear to me.

Last time I got new skates, I told the guys at the LHS I go to what problems I was having with my Vapor XI's. They are a great skate, just not working for me, like I said, too stiff for me.

We decided that Grafs would offer me the best fit possible for my foot type and preference.

From there, I tried every 700 and G series that fit my foot type.

I ended up with 502 SE's at under $300 (before Graf pricing went up).

THE POINT IS... drumroll please... the price reflects the materials and manufacturing.

How well they perform reflects the wearer.

I went from a VI to a XIX. The XIX is a fantastic skate. No doubt about it. And it's a lot cheaper than the XXX/XXXX. You get about 90% of the skate for 2/3 the cost. That is, of course, if you like fit of Vapors.

If you're serious about hockey, the $200-$300 USD range is going to get you a fantastic skate that should last you a fairly long time. Cheap skates wear out easily, aren't very stiff, can be fairly heavy, and often have mediocre steel.

Go try on a bunch and buy that fits best. If you can find someone to watch you skate, they might be able to recommend something that would help with your skating style. For me, the LS2 holders on the Vapor XIX put me more on my toes which helped with my balance and now I'm skating a LOT smoother and faster. Of course I spend a lot of time at the rink working on my skating, but the skates help rather than hurt.