Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lfntn10

catching pass with backhand

I want to explore more options playing the wing (I play right, and i want to try out left), but the only problem is that on a breakout, my major weakness is catching a pass on the backhand. Any tips for this?

I'm sure that anyone will tell you this; but practice, practice, practice. When in practice, focus on catching passes on your backhand. That's really the only way to get better at catching passes (also the only way to get better at anything, really). Besides that, a general rule to catching passes is to hold your stick in a softer grip. Try loosening your hands a little bit and you should be able to catch passes much better and with no bounce off your stick.

Those are both good tips. I've had problems with this, but I'm getting much better at it. My brother and I just went to pick-ups, and I just had him pass the puck to me on the backhand as we skated up the rink. It helped me work on the angles and how to handle the pass. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck.

Boxing ur hands is important, do it just as if u were caughting it one ur fore hand but pull it behind u instead of infront. But like Chadd said watch the angle of ur blade otherwise there is no reason to box ur hands.

I've had it told to me that I should have my blade this way:

\

(I'm a leftie) to cradle the pass...if your blade is too flat or forward, you just lose it.

I found if you keep your stick really stiff it works good. When I do that I can catch it with one hand no problem also.

Gaga is correct.....If you angle your blade that way you kill most of the spin thats on the pass which plays a major part in why the puck flies off your blade. That, and concentrate on literally "accepting" the pass ie) moving your stick with the pass.

I found if you keep your stick really stiff it works good. When I do that I can catch it with one hand no problem also.

Thats still not the best way, soft hands will give you control quicker and won't ping the puck off or flip it.

stick selection will also play a (relatively small) part. Composite blades are harder to accept passes with than wood blades. An option to make it ab it easier to accept passes with a composite would be to use multiple layers of tape. It adds a bit of weight, but will soften the blade face a bit.

If you don't like the way shots fare coming off with a douple layer of tape, just use 3-4 horizontal strips on the backhand first, and tape over the entire blade after.

Still, it's all about practice.

I'm not sure if it is all about angles or any of that, but practice and more practice. It is about getting a feel for the puck and having that touch and soft hands.

a good way to cheat it so that it's easier to recieve a pass is too angle the top of your blade towards the puck as radio mentioned.

/ for rh

\ for lh

and try to catch the puck around the bend from the hosel to the blade, before the curve starts.