Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dawall60

wheels not spinning right

i bought new rink rat hot shot wheels yesterday they are 78a, the orange ones...when i got back from the shop i noticed that one of the back wheels wasnt spinning straight, but all the other ones were spinning fine...is there any problem with them...or will they adjust themsleves???i have mission 5500 skates if that matters

be sure the bearings are completely 'set' in the wheel.

if they didn't push the bearings in all the way it could spin crookedly.

What kind of spacers are u using? Floating spacers dont work well with mission chassis in my opinion.

I don't think the 5500's take floating spacers.

As long as the spacing between the chassis "boss's"(the raised section inside a chassis where the axle slips through) are 1.005" +.005",-.000" a floating spacer should work, unless the chassis is using the old type Bauer screw and axle type arrangement.

The nominal distance across the outside of the inner races is 1.000" when using a floating spacer with 608 bearings, and with the assembly tightened.

A floating spacer is .400" wide and each inner bearing race on the 608 bearings is .300" wide..so the total of two inner races plus one spacer is 1.000"

Normally the clearance between the bosses on all frames is 1.005 - 1.010" to allow for a snug fit.

Some skates have had a problem where the wheel pour seam is slightly larger and rubs against the outsole.

Some wheels have a problem with the inner hub step being too narrow....it should be at least .400" wide, +.002" - .000". Smaller than this will cause the wheel to bind (if it is less than .400")

Much larger than .400" (like.405") and the wheel can move back and forth on the outer races of the bearings and rub against the chassis. Also if the step inside the wheel hub is not perfectly centered in the wheel, the edge of the wheel may rub on the chassis.

except that 5500's use sleeve style spacers and not floating spacers. Even if it's not entirely visible, the bearings might not be fully seated in the hub.

i bought new rink rat hot shot wheels yesterday they are 78a, the orange ones...when i got back from the shop i noticed that one of the back wheels wasnt spinning straight, but all the other ones were spinning fine...is there any problem with them...or will they adjust themsleves???i have mission 5500 skates if that matters

it probably wasnt spinning correctly because of the bearings. one of the bearings wasnt put in all the way or something. if it was a defect from hot shot you would of known it right away, but def. check the bearings.

I had the 5550s and the frame was manufactured wrong. Mission had to send my a new pair because the chassis wasn't wide enough for every wheel on the market. The only wheels that fit were the Rink Rat Hot shots, Millenium grippers wouldn't even come close. I would send them back and get replacements.

Dwall,

Listen buddy, if you find that the wheel just wont work for you, try the following. Take the back wheel from the other skate and switch it with the one your having a problem with. If it spins freely then its the bearing or wheel. If you find the wheel isn't fitting properly just send me an email at mhunt@mearthane.com and i will send you out a replacement wheel today!

Just let me know!

Mike

My wheels don't spin a lot either when the skate is off and I attempt to spin them. When i'm skating it's fine. Is this normal with swiss bearings?

My wheels don't spin a lot either when the skate is off and I attempt to spin them. When i'm skating it's fine. Is this normal with swiss bearings?

you're talking about freespin here. It could be the bearing not fully seated, it could also be the grease/cream lube they use that takes a bit to work in and increase freespin. As long as they keep rolling under your weight, they should be fine. If it really bothers you, clean the bearings to get rid of the grease/cream and re-lube with oil.

Dwall,

Listen buddy, if you find that the wheel just wont work for you, try the following. Take the back wheel from the other skate and switch it with the one your having a problem with. If it spins freely then its the bearing or wheel. If you find the wheel isn't fitting properly just send me an email at mhunt@mearthane.com and i will send you out a replacement wheel today!

Just let me know!

Mike

Not meaning to derail the thread but I read the same thing in the thread about the RR 816 Micro bearing thread and posted about my problems with them as well as post in that thread about my problems, sent you a PM, and emailed rink rat and not one response.

If you could please pm me back that would be great.

Thanks and sorry for derailing the thread.

Scott

I had the 5550s and the frame was manufactured wrong. Mission had to send my a new pair because the chassis wasn't wide enough for every wheel on the market. The only wheels that fit were the Rink Rat Hot shots, Millenium grippers wouldn't even come close. I would send them back and get replacements.

That's interesting, the back wheels on my new 9500's won't spin. I am using Labeda Millenium Grippers.

I was told to file down the chassis, never offered a replacement.

That's interesting, the back wheels on my new 9500's won't spin. I am using Labeda Millenium Grippers.

I was told to file down the chassis, never offered a replacement.

:lol:

Seriously the chassis is already brittle enough, filing it down would probably put it over the edge. These are my last two pairs of He5550s:

Chassis 1

Chassis 2

And that happened from normal game play, on all four chassis. Hockey Monkey offered to replace them again for the same pair. Wasn't really worth it, I loved the boots and they were broke in great but getting back the same chassis defeats the purpose. Ive heard that the Magnesium alloy is even more brittle but its lighter. I wish they would add a little more girth :lol: to their chassis so they don't snap like crazy.

Although I cannot find the thread, there is one mentioned here by Justin to file down the chassis to fix the rubbing. I am wondering how this will affect my warranty?

If I find it, I'll post a link.

update...

since i got them and used them a couple of times,,,the wheels have gotten better..they feel great,,,thank you for your offer Mike...that is just great customer service..i will always use rink rat,,,greatest wheel I have ever used...

I am also using Rink Rats (hot shots) on my 5500's. The back wheel is rubbing on the inside of the chassis a bit.

These were replacement wheels Mike sent me from another issue, and I must say, they are great wheels.

I would demand a new pair of skates from Mission if the wheels are rubbing. Its ridiculous, ive already been through this two times last summer alone. They manufactured the chassises incorectly and its their obligation to fix it. You shouldn't have to "break in" wheels, it doesn't help the durability of the wheel at all when its being cut everytime you skate.

Although I cannot find the thread, there is one mentioned here by Justin to file down the chassis to fix the rubbing. I am wondering how this will affect my warranty?

If I find it, I'll post a link.

Here's the thread you mention.

Justin actually suggested this for a 9500 skate, but I'd assume it's for all skates.

I'm not sure how this will affect your warranty, so if you're worried about it, I'd PM Justin.