Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Heel Lock - Help?

Guys, I need some suggestions. I just started skating in some Nexus 200 skates (had been in RBK 8K previously). They feel very comfortable for the most part, with one small exception. I get no heel lock at all in my right skate. My left is perfectly fine, but in my right skate it feels like my heel comes up with every stride.

I know you can't bake the N200 (nor is there any reason to, these boots are so soft they are pretty much just hiking boots with a blade on the bottom..).

I've tried with and without superfeet, but I think the superfeet took up too much volume. I got tightness on the outside of my feet when I had them in.

I know the general answer is "if theres no heel lock, then they dont fit", but the left skate is PERFECT.

What should I try next? Suggestions?

Thanks.

How did your heel do with the superfeet in?

If the heel was better, but you had pressure at the sides of your foot, maybe you should proceed with the superfeet in and get the sore spot punched.

You could also go for some custom insoles...they tend to take up slightly less volume than the superfeet.

How did your heel do with the superfeet in?

If the heel was better, but you had pressure at the sides of your foot, maybe you should proceed with the superfeet in and get the sore spot punched.

You could also go for some custom insoles...they tend to take up slightly less volume than the superfeet.

No better with the superfeet in.

Might try some custom insoles anyway. The only explanation I have is that my right foot is an odd shape. I don't see it, but it could be possible.

Also might try the ankle bootie things. Really can't remember what they were called, but I had a pair back when I had an ill-fitting pair of Grafs.

No insole is going to make your heel wider, I really don't understand why people always suggest insoles for width issues. Something like the stable26 socks may help thicken up your heel/ankle area. As always, you are better off having to stretch a boot to fit your bigger foot than trying to find a secondary solution to add volume to your smaller foot.

No insole is going to make your heel wider, I really don't understand why people always suggest insoles for width issues. Something like the stable26 socks may help thicken up your heel/ankle area. As always, you are better off having to stretch a boot to fit your bigger foot than trying to find a secondary solution to add volume to your smaller foot.

Yea thats the unfortunate part. If I get different skates that fit my right foot, they may not fit my left.

Yeah, StableTwentySix socks might help. EzeeFit Ankle Booties might also help. I prefer the feel of the EzeeFit over the StableTwentySix when it comes to a hockey sock.

Yeah, StableTwentySix socks might help. EzeeFit Ankle Booties might also help. I prefer the feel of the EzeeFit over the StableTwentySix when it comes to a hockey sock.

Ah, thats what I was talking about, the EzeeFit Ankle Booties. I already have a pair. Might give that a shot.

Yea thats the unfortunate part. If I get different skates that fit my right foot, they may not fit my left.

I'll ditto Stable 26 for this purpose. Not only to fix heel lock in general, but I had an issue that felt like a blade alignment issue with my right foot (not present in my left) that I was able to fix with the Stable 26s. You have a lot of customization options with them, so, if you have one skate that fits perfect and the other doesn't you can use different insert thicknesses to customize each side. I highly recommend them for this type of issue.

I'll ditto Stable 26 for this purpose. Not only to fix heel lock in general, but I had an issue that felt like a blade alignment issue with my right foot (not present in my left) that I was able to fix with the Stable 26s. You have a lot of customization options with them, so, if you have one skate that fits perfect and the other doesn't you can use different insert thicknesses to customize each side. I highly recommend them for this type of issue.

Just ordered a pair. Can't hurt to try!

The ankle booties appear to have neoprene on the outside which may decrease heel lock because of the slippery nature of neoprene. The stable 26 seems like a good option, or you may want to try placing mole skin on the very front of the tow box of the biggest skate to stop your foot from moving forward.

If you have any questions on the fitting of them just let me know. There are a number of tricks to get the optimal fit!

Are you referring to the Stable26s?

The ankle booties appear to have neoprene on the outside which may decrease heel lock because of the slippery nature of neoprene. The stable 26 seems like a good option, or you may want to try placing mole skin on the very front of the tow box of the biggest skate to stop your foot from moving forward.

My foot doesn't move forward at all. In fact, they are the perfect size. Toe brushes the cap, but pulls away when I bend my knees. My heel just lifts up.

Also, I would probably do the ankle booties under my socks, so it may not be a problem. I already have a pair of those, and I just ordered the stable26 socks. So now I'll just have to experiment.

I might do a custom set of footbeds regardless.

If you have any questions on the fitting of them just let me know. There are a number of tricks to get the optimal fit!

Thanks, I'll bug you when I get them :)

I now this reply sucks, but I spent alot of money figuring this out. Your skates don't fit. DROP a half size and your heel lock will be perfect....

I now this reply sucks, but I spent alot of money figuring this out. Your skates don't fit. DROP a half size and your heel lock will be perfect....

That would require buying another pair in the smaller size, and waste two skates.

If the problem didn't occur with any prior skates, it's strange to have it with these skates. I wonder the skate was made properly. Did you try on any other pairs of this model, Chris?

Well these are pretty low end skates, so I really wouldn't mind buying a pair that are half a size smaller for my right foot if that would fix it, but the length in both skates is perfect. I truly think its just my feet.

I tried on a pair of nexus 400s in the store once, but never skated in them obviously so I can't say if I had the same issue.

However, this was a VERY big issue for me in the Supreme line. Even more pronounced. I told the salesman that it felt like I could never plant my foot all the way, almost like the heel was actually too NARROW. So my heel would slide up and down (but not forward and back).

I don't know if that's relevant, but might be worth mentioning.

Aside from trying yet another model of skates (which is frustrating since these skates are incredibly comfortable on my left foot) I'm not sure what to do besides small tweaks like what I've already mentioned.

It's so hard to find skates that are comfortable since you can't skate in them obviously.

I've been starting to suspect that his feet (at least at the heel) are different sizes. You'd know how to handle that better than I would.

yes

OK, I'll bite. What are some of these tricks? I think I have mine dialed, but I'm curious to know if there's something I'm missing.

What about your 8Ks?

The 8Ks have never been comfortable, they've simply been "the best I could find". I can only make them remotely bearable if the bottom 6 or so eyelets are barely snug, and then the top ones (above the lace lock) are cranked super tight. Superfeet helped a lot, but they've never felt right. I had always wondered if you're supposed to be able to stand on your skates (just standing up in the dressing room for example) without your feet hurting.

I played on Sunday night and outside of my heel slipping (which stopped hurting some time in the 2nd period) the N200s were infinitely more comfortable. If I had to live with never being 100% satisfied, then I'd be sticking with the Nexus.

Or a good fitter.

A good fitter would be great. Unfortunately all I have around here are the giant and the monkey. And while it may be possible to get a good fitting in those places, they really seem to just want you to buy whatever is on your feet and go away. I don't know for certain since I've never experienced it, but I would think a good fitting involves more than putting skates on, tying them up, and being asked "how do they feel?" without any sort of specifics.

Add to that the fact that such stores never have stock. "I'll try these couple models in 9D and 9EE please" ends up 90% of the time with "we dont have that size in 3 of those 5 models, ill go grab what we do have". Very frustrating when you're driving over an hour and they just dont have any of what you want to try on.

I've been starting to suspect that his feet (at least at the heel) are different sizes. You'd know how to handle that better than I would.

Feet dont feel like different sizes, length wise. (I don't think two different numerical sized skates will help me here) Heel could be very different shape I suppose. That's why I'm looking at tweak options, knowing how comfortable my left foot is. It's got to just be a minor difference on my right. Without going custom (where I could maybe have my right skate have the same size forefoot but a wider heel possibly?) I don't think there is going to be a better option for me.

Unless the Mako fits...

You need to fit the tighter foot knowing the other one can be expanded to accommodate. You've gone with two skates with wide heels. You'd be better served to fit the smaller heel. The fact that the bigger one is "perfect" is where you're going wrong. It has to be the other way around.

You need to fit the tighter foot knowing the other one can be expanded to accommodate. You've gone with two skates with wide heels. You'd be better served to fit the smaller heel. The fact that the bigger one is "perfect" is where you're going wrong. It has to be the other way around.

What do you suggest? Vapor?

I don't suggest anything because I don't even know what your feet look like.

(Please, no foot pics. I avoid those topics on general principle.) If we cross paths again I may make an assessment.