Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikej411

7/16 radius being 180lbs

Whem I was 175 to 193lbs I prefered 9\16. If they didnt feel like wasting they gave 1\2. Now I'm on 5/8. I think you should do what you prefer over what others use. From Crosby skate video, I skimmed it and remembered that he uses 1/2.

All depends on the profile on your skates. If you have less blade on the ice it may feel awesome. If you have a longer profile more blade on the ice it will be to deep and to much bite!

What do you by the profile of the skate?

When first on the ice after sharpened, they dig a little too much, but after the first period they feel pretty good and then they will last for around 2 to 3 games before they become too dull again. I was just thinking maybe I'd be faster with a more hollow radius. But since Crosby is at 210lbs and uses 1/2, I may be fine at 7/16

Is there a topic in here or a site that lists NHL player's radius?

Try a bunch of different things and see what feels best to you. Some NHL players will change their hollow based on the ice conditions, others will use the same thing no matter what. Either way, it really has no bearing on what feels best to you and gives you the most confidence in your skating.

But since Crosby is at 210lbs and uses 1/2, I may be fine at 7/16

Comparing your size to Crosby shouldn't influence you on what hollow to use. I'm around 165ish and use 1"...and feel like going more shallow on my next sharpening.

Take whatever you have and move up in the shallower direction gradually. Once you get to a point where you are losing grip, scale it back to the previous hollow.

So many variables in play here as mentioned above: Height, weight, posture, how much power you generate, "feel", stride style (choppy vs long), the list goes on. I'm 5'9 175 and skate on 5/8, sometimes dropping to 3/4 or 11/16 during the summer when the ice is softer. I've played with guys that are 5'6-5'7 ~150 that are capable of leaving half inch deep cuts in the ice, and as a result shy away from deeper hollows despite their size.

The way i "calibrated" this is by effectively going shallower and shallower until i felt like i didn't have enough bite and my edges would slip out. I skated on 3/8 for the better part of my higher level "career" and eventually realized that I was sacrificing glide (speed) for a neglible agility benefit. I may even go shallower with my NXGs as I feel really confident on my edges with them.

Edit: JR beat me to the general idea/concept. :ph34r:

Take whatever you have and move up in the shallower direction gradually. Once you get to a point where you are losing grip, scale it back to the previous hollow.

Im going to give this a try or maybe convert to FBV and see how that feels. I posted in the FBV topic as well

What do you by the profile of the skate?

When first on the ice after sharpened, they dig a little too much, but after the first period they feel pretty good and then they will last for around 2 to 3 games before they become too dull again. I was just thinking maybe I'd be faster with a more hollow radius. But since Crosby is at 210lbs and uses 1/2, I may be fine at 7/16

Is there a topic in here or a site that lists NHL player's radius?

You can't really compare yourself to the pros. It's all personal preference and ice conditions.

I kept moving to a shallower hollow gradually over time in order to pick up some more speed, I'm currently on 3/4 and love it. When the temp starts rising in our area I might try to work up to 1" for the summer with the softer ice. I think it's hard for anybody to answer this question, others I know that are similar in size and build to me like 1/2" and some like 7/16" so it's hard for anybody to make this suggestion.