Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerleaguecaptain

Easton E28 - You Tube Video Promo

It's just a rockered blade, nothing strange or unusual about it.That blade works well for that style of wrist shot, but does not work as well for traditional wrist shots or slappers. Like anything, it's about compromises.

it goes to player preference. Some players can use a toe curve where others can. I take from the video more of the stiffening of the blade to accomplish that shot not just with the 28, but all patterns. It is a very popular type pattern with pros now and more and more shots are a quick snap at higher levels, but not for everyone. The other thing this is a pattern and type of shot that will not work for most younger players as they have not developed the muscle mass to flex the blade along with shaft. It's something to try, but won't be for everyone.

As for passing it will be slightly different depending on what pattern you come from. Like any switch in pattern it takes adjustments and getting used to for different aspects of your game

Interesting. I have never seen/heard any other stick manufacturer discuss how to use their stick in such detail. Curious to see how it does.

They worked backwards from the shooting motion and designed a blade that works "best" with that motion. That's why they are promoting that style of shooting so much. It doesn't work nearly as well if you don't shoot off the toe.

Chadd - Being a rockered blade, does it play as the listed 5 lie, or actually a littler higher?

I didn't compare it directly to the other blades. We didn't have time in Vegas and I only took a handful of shots with the one at winter fest. I'm sure the guys that used it more would be able to provide better info. the rocker is fairly mild, so it shouldn't be too far off.

Chadd - Being a rockered blade, does it play as the listed 5 lie, or actually a littler higher?

I used an E28 curve at Winterfest and to me it played like the listed 5 lie. I was pretty comfortable using it coming from the Warrior Smyth curve (Warrior lists that as a 4, but measure lies differently than some other companies - there are entire threads on that so I won't go into further detail here).

Interesting. I have never seen/heard any other stick manufacturer discuss how to use their stick in such detail. Curious to see how it does.

That comes from their work with Scott on this. He always has a pattern in mind that can better players shots for what he see's from coaching and watching hockey. He was influential in the P14 Pattern from Bauer years ago, even before it was a world wide stock pattern.

I'm interested in this curve, but half of me thinks I'm just buying into marketing and would have to teach myself how to shoot differently. I'd be a lil worried about taking a $250 risk considering its only on the new Mako. I have gotten used to using a PM9/ Cammy style blade with less rocker just because I stick handle much better with it. I tried a Sakic curve years ago but always felt like the toe was too high off the ice.

I'm interested in this curve, but half of me thinks I'm just buying into marketing and would have to teach myself how to shoot differently. I'd be a lil worried about taking a $250 risk considering its only on the new Mako. I have gotten used to using a PM9/ Cammy style blade with less rocker just because I stick handle much better with it. I tried a Sakic curve years ago but always felt like the toe was too high off the ice.

The lie is similar to the PM9 - both are lie 5 curves. It definitely has a lower lie than a standard Sakic curve. Of course it's also a much bigger curve than the PM9 and is a toe curve with an open face as opposed to a closed mid-heel..

Personally, I found the curve shot very well for me, but I already shoot mostly off the toe and use a mid-toe curve (Smyth). The only adjustment required was focusing on keeping the shots down since the E28 is more open than my current curve making it easier to get the puck up. It's definitely not as open as something like a crazy ovi though.

I think this is a good move by Easton, rather than introduce a new curve and slap a pro's name on it hoping it will sell, they're trying to get info out there about how to best utilize it with a real deal shooting instructor describing. Sure it's marketing, but I would imagine a big part of the idea is to give the pattern a better chance of survival since it's in the range of ones that generally haven't succeeded in retail.

Interesting. The video was pretty cool. It's pretty close to how I shoot with the Sakic curve. I went away from my Sakic curves and played with a more shallow/closed heel curve and thus far have not liked it. I can't get used to shooting it at all. Something like the E28 blade is right up my alley.

E28 seemed to suit my shooting style really nicely, it even worked better on slap shots than the Sakic clones I usually use. Like any big curve it definitely isn't for everyone though.

So if u shoot from the heel or middle of the blade this is not for u?

Correct, just like any other toe curve

For those who have used it, how would you compare it to tbe old shanahan curve?

It's been a while since I've seen or used an old Shanahan curve, but from what I recall the E28 has a lower lie, a completely rounded toe, a more noticeable hook and is more open than the Shanahan.

It's been a while since I've seen or used an old Shanahan curve, but from what I recall the E28 has a lower lie, a completely rounded toe, a more noticeable hook and is more open than the Shanahan.

That is pretty accurate.