Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

New Stick - Pattern Suggestions?

So after breaking my Mako last night, it's time to get something new.

Thing is, I'm not sure I don't want to try something totally new. I've been using the Easton Heatley curve for about a year, and I'm not sure if it's the curve for me. No real reason to believe that, but I don't know enough to really form an opinion on it one way or another.

Most people will say "get something that works with your skills/preference" or whatever. But thing is... I don't know exactly what that is for me. I'm not at a skill level where I really have any idea what my strong points are, because TBH I don't really have any. I *might* get one shot on goal per game, if I'm lucky. I have no slapshot to speak of (I try to take some during warmups, but its kind of embarrassing Usually ends up half the speed of everyone else's and along the ice the whole way. Obviously that's a technique issue, but would a more open face help with that at least a little bit?

Another reason I'm thinking of changing is because simply.. the heatley curve is so damn hard to find except on Eastons top end models. None of the lower ones come in it.

So I guess even with how unhelpful they are, I'll toss out some points about how I play.

I'm a RW, I have a horrible time corralling breakout passes from the D. I rarely get a shot on goal, and spend most of my time in front of the net hoping for a tip or rebound.

I suppose in all reality for a player like me, the curve is irrelevant. I'm just trying to decide which direction to go in.

Oh, and I'm leaning towards moving to Bauer, because i really like the tacspiral they have. But totally open to just about everything.

First, you need to look at what your current pattern does or doesn't do for you, and what you want your stick to do.

Does the pattern you've been using enable you to do what you want with the puck? Do you want to be able to lift it higher when very close to the goalie, or does it go higher than you like in that situation? Does your current stick make it hard for you to catch passes, or make shots, with your backhand?

Like #5, "need input".

Try a Drury/Parise clone? I personally find that the flatter open face is easier to take a low deflection off of, and the open face itself makes it easier to quickly roof the puck when you get a rebound.

My slapshot is extremely mediocre, My wrister is awesome though so I use the Bauer Nexus 1000. Very light weight stick, easy to load up on and great feel for me. The link I attached has Bauers curves, and a small description of what they are best used for. I use the P92 and its amazing for top shelf wristers and picking corners (once tamed). Since you're not too familiar with different curves and their benefits, perhaps find the description that best fits what you are looking for ya know. Never used the P91 pattern but it says its good for deflections which would help you when you're in front of the net, and its an open face which would help lift your shots off the ice. Anytime you make a transition to an open face you should do a few sticks and pucks sessions to learn NOT to rocket the puck over the net. Anyways, I believed that all curves will do anything you need them to do, just some easier than others.

http://www.hockeymon...e-patterns.html

I've always thought that the P88 was a good curve.

Would it be possible to try out your team mates' sticks? No need for slappers, just maybe a few wristers or just puck handle and see how you feel.

Since, as you mentioned, technique is the major issue, I would go with a fairly mild curve until you begin to develop some preferences based on your experience. Modano/PM9 type curves are a good place to begin as is a P88 type of curve, though it is obviously deeper.

I agree with a pm9 and working with a hockey coach to get "smart" mileage with your shooting mechanics. I did 3 sessions with a coach and it improved so many things in leaps and bounds. That is what influenced the pattern which was optimal for me.

As often mentioned on this forum....you should get a two piece stick and mess around with different patterns also.

Thanks for the info everyone.

wrangler: at this point, I don't know. My current stick didn't not do anything I needed it to, I guess. But I'm not good enough to know better. I think my main two points are: I'd like to be able to receive passes better (can a stick curve help that?) and I'd like to be able to get the puck up higher on slapshots and wrist shots (both of which are mostly hurt by lack of technique).

Like chadd said, something mild might be the best. The P88 or PM9 looks like a good starting point. I'm leaning towards a Nexus 600.

I wish working with a hockey coach was an option, but unfortunately theres no stick time at my rink so aside from pickup and league games, there are no chances to work on skills (and when you touch a puck maybe 5 times in a game, let alone making passes or taking shots, you dont get a lot of time to improve). Two years into this endeavor and I still have no idea what I'm looking for in a curve.

If I dont go with the Nexus 600, I'll probably go for a two piece. Does it matter in my case if I go standard or tapered, since I'm more focused on curve and less on kickpoint?

First decision is whether you stick with what you've been using, or if you just want to change.

I was looking to see if you had a reason to change patterns, because otherwise, why change? On receiving passes, you need to consider forehand and backhand. It seems to me that a curve helps catch passes in the middle of the front of the curve, not so much toward the tip, or on the backhand, so it may limit the portion of the blade available to catch passes. This would come into play when stretching for a pass. Catching passes is mainly technique, though, like "soft hands" for a shortstop.

As to lifting better in general, as opposed to in close, I'd work on technique before changing to a bigger or more open curve.

I was faced with this decision after not playing for a long time. I got a mild curve, because it was what I'd always used since straight sticks went out of production. I got an ST, because I had no experience with different technology, kick point, etc., so I went for durablility.

Check out Harrow's offer here on MSH! I agree with interpathway, go with whatever's most common in your area as far as selection goes.

Definitely agree with PM9/Modano or P88 curve both are great curves and very versatile great for working on technique.

Edit: Im not sure what eastons "modano" is these days.

I'm just going to throw this out here, If you want something with a bit of open face I've always liked using P106. i know its not really a mid its more heel but i feel like for me the P88 was too flat and the P106 was a good middle ground between what a P88 is and what the P92 is. I could easily catch passes and get the puck up quicker.

I'd go with a two piece setup, in case you aren't a big fan of your next pattern. Personally, I'd go with the p88 (for reasons others mentioned) and work on my shooting form. I've had the most luck with Bauer and Warrior shafts/blades. I prefer Bauer blades for their durability. If you do go the Standard 2 piece setup You may be able to find an AK27 shaft for a decent price, and they're killer.

Don't worry about it if your shot isn't what you'd like it to be yet. I don't know anyone that had a great shot when they were starting out.

P88 is very similar to the Heatley curve. Its a great curve, but expect it to play like your old one. Pm9 is great, that's what i used before the p88 and i keep coming back to it.

Btw, the nexus doesn't have the spiral grip.

Oh, I should probably also mention that I want a 75/77 flex. That often limits my choices as far as shaft/blade combos.

Leaning PM9, as you're right - the P88 appears to be very similar to the heatley. I don't necessarily have an issue with the heatley, I just want to try something new.

Btw, the nexus doesn't have the spiral grip.

Well crap. Oh well, as long as it has grip I'm okay with it. I have a Vapor and I have a Supreme, so if I went Bauer, I'd want to try Nexus.

Well crap. Oh well, as long as it has grip I'm okay with it. I have a Vapor and I have a Supreme, so if I went Bauer, I'd want to try Nexus.

My bauer I'm pretty sure you can add the Tac-Spiral to it.

True, though that's a bit out of my price range this time. I was going to go Nexus 600. Not worth the $140 difference or whatever it is for tac-spiral ;)

True, though that's a bit out of my price range this time. I was going to go Nexus 600. Not worth the $140 difference or whatever it is for tac-spiral ;)

Haha true! The 600 is a solid twig had it since it came out. Love the flex profile, but a bit heavy.

Haha true! The 600 is a solid twig had it since it came out. Love the flex profile, but a bit heavy.

I noticed the weight compared to the 1000. Over 100g difference? Wow. It's going to feel like a tree trunk compared to the Mako I'd been using. But again, not sure 100g lighter is worth the upgrade from the 600 to the 1000...

Honestly it's up to you. Once you use it a bit you get used to it. Until you switch back to something lighter. I used my apx last week again a bit and it felt like a feather compared to the 600. I just have a hard time really justifying the 250$ on a stick anymore.

Especially at my level. The only reason I spent the money on a mako is because Easton doesnt make a heatley curve stick in a 75 flex that isn't on the top of the line models. If I'm changing to a more common curve, it doesnt matter what model I choose.

The Mako was quite heavy in comparison to other top-end sticks. The APX is extremely light compared to it. You may feel a difference in balance, but the weight shouldn't be a huge issue.

The Nexus plays a little soft, so 75 will probably feel closer to 70 or a tad whippier fyi.

I hope you make a smooth transition! I hate changing sticks because it takes me a while to get used to profiles, hopefully you transition better than I do! :)