Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Nexus 1000 Skate Initial Thoughts

Back in February, when I was talking to Keith Duffy, who is the Category Manager for skates over at Bauer about the course of action we were going to take with the TotalONE NXG review, he mentioned to me if I wanted to review the Nexus 1000 as we got closer to the release date. Totally forgot I had that conversation til the box showed up today.

nex1000.jpg

Styled to invoke the classic Bauer Supreme look (with the stitch pattern on the quarters)...

nex10002.jpg

...however with a modern touch on the back with the carbon weave and silver stripes.

nex10003.jpg

Felt tongue and tan liner. Might do this one barefoot for old times' sake.

I've described this skate as a cross between the Flexlite and the 8090; it certainly is Bauer's deepest fit. The heel is deep and wide as well. Compared to the TotalONE, it seems to be the same boot height, however, the cut/eyelet orientation of the Nexus isn't as aggressive; and one that I will most likely skate without lacing the top eyelet.

The toecap is new as well; I've been used to the ergonomic toecap for quite some time. This toecap is a bit stubbier and rounder.

I can definitely see where they are going with on this skate - it is a departure from the extremely close fit that I have with the Supreme series. Extremely comfortable out of the box. Note: the D is based on an EE last. I am actually a true EE last; I go with D (true E) in the Supreme because that is my only option retail-wise. And that skate is meant to have minimum negative space, so going tighter doesn't bother me in that situation. No hotspots in the skate; uniform lacing throughout the skate. Sizing is the same as Supreme; I'm in a 10.5.

I'm going to do the bake and profile/heel lift tomorrow; since I am going to skate with one eyelet down, I will be trying 1.5mm instead of 3mm; will start the LTR next week.

Special thanks to Keith for sending me these; it's always appreciated.

Any questions - please ask them here.

JR, these are the same boot height as the original T1s or NXGs? The EE last certainly makes sense now, I've had success fitting people who thought Reebok/CCM/Supreme EE was too narrow into these, especially at the toecap area.

Not that it affects fit or performance, but that is one fine looking skate. Liked it when I first saw it last December. Should have tried it out at SJ instead of the 20K :mellow:

Can you comment on the stiffness of the boot?

Comparable to TotalOnes?

No. Comparable to Reebok 20k. That's what is going to be interesting for me...going to be a huge departure from what I've been in for the past 6 years. The thing is, it is a top-end skate in every sense of the word.

JR, would you be able to share whether the outsole is completely composite as opposed to the ones in Grafs that have a recessed area in the middle ? Would be interested to know if these can be converted to inline... really nice looking skate!

JR, would you be able to share whether the outsole is completely composite as opposed to the ones in Grafs that have a recessed area in the middle ? Would be interested to know if these can be converted to inline... really nice looking skate!

It's 100% composite

Are those tendon guard eyelets for the old-time tie-on tendon guard fenders?

Yes.

I was surprised when I heard they were made on an EE last at summer jam, the D still doesn't fit my forefoot out of the box.

JR, based on your description it sounds like you're saying the Nexus is wider than the Supreme skates. I've found that when I've tried the 800s, that they are not as wide as my original T1s (deeper yes, wider no). Are the 1000s a bit wider? What are you finding from your personal trial of both skates?

I can't remember off the top of my head (and it's not in the catalogue either) but I'm pretty sure that the 1000 has a different fit from the rest of the line. I believe the lower models have the Nike figure-8 fit (wide toebox tapering in across mid-foot then wide heel), or might be the inverse. (Some of the Flexlite wearers at SJ didn't like the 1000)

I'll ask Keith, or perhaps he'll just chime in.

These skates are definitely wider than T1/T1 NXG at "D" width.

Took the skates to the LHS for skate work - first time in 12 years I have left anyone else work on my skates. Ironically enough, one of the guys who skates at the rink happened to be there; I had given him my pair of ONE95 (the ones I reviewed back in 2010) and on those there was a set of 3mm Bauer heel lifts. He gave them back to me and I didn't want to tempt fate so I just had them put the 3mm lift in. Radiused them to 11' (burned the steel however :-/ ) and then baked them.

Skates baked extremely well - felt even more comfortable.

I'll be on them shortly.

Teardown as in cutting the skate apart?

I could ask.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. It would be interesting to see the components and technologies that make a skate work. For the most expensive, and next to a jock I would say personal, piece of equipment it seems little is known about its inner workings. To see what traditional and composite skates offer, and the parts that are closest to the foot, would be very interesting.

The 1000 has the same approximate volume inside the boot, but will fit slightly different from the rest of the line. The 1000 is a one-piece ultra light Tech Mesh quarter vs. the 2-piece compression molded EVA (800, 600, 400). The feel of the fit will be different in the forefoot. The molded EVA "cradels" the forefoot based on the 3 dimensional shape of the mold vs. the straight wall construction of the one-piece NEXUS1000. While the width is equivalent the fit sensation is different.

In the 1000 your forefoot sits between two basically straight walls of Tech Mesh, HD foam and reinforcements. In the 800 and below, your foot is cradeled more in the 3D shape of the EVA mold...

Hope this helps.

Coming from a 7.0 EE in a vapor x60, what size and width would I look at in a nexus. My X60's are tight in the mid foot area. If I understand the other posts correctly the nexus is wider and deeper?

Coming from a 7.0 EE in a vapor x60, what size and width would I look at in a nexus. My X60's are tight in the mid foot area. If I understand the other posts correctly the nexus is wider and deeper?

A 7EE X:60 and a 7D NEXUS 1000 will fit "similar" in the forefoot. Big difference there will be the toe cap inner dimensions. From the forefoot back is where it will fit different. Higher instep, deeper cut and less aggressive lacing pattern.

The 1000 has the same approximate volume inside the boot, but will fit slightly different from the rest of the line. The 1000 is a one-piece ultra light Tech Mesh quarter vs. the 2-piece compression molded EVA (800, 600, 400). The feel of the fit will be different in the forefoot. The molded EVA "cradels" the forefoot based on the 3 dimensional shape of the mold vs. the straight wall construction of the one-piece NEXUS1000. While the width is equivalent the fit sensation is different.

In the 1000 your forefoot sits between two basically straight walls of Tech Mesh, HD foam and reinforcements. In the 800 and below, your foot is cradeled more in the 3D shape of the EVA mold...

Hope this helps.

That's great info. I've always had discomfort around my big toe in almost all skates, but when I tried the 1000, I didn't feel any discomfort around my big toe at all. The forefoot felt really good. I was wondering what the difference was with the 1000. This explains it.

A 7EE X:60 and a 7D NEXUS 1000 will fit "similar" in the forefoot. Big difference there will be the toe cap inner dimensions. From the forefoot back is where it will fit different. Higher instep, deeper cut and less aggressive lacing pattern.

(excuse myIgnorance) What is meant by a less aggressive lacing pattern? Looking at the pictures of the skate, I do not see any great difference. My X60's I found more comfortable not to use the top eyelet

Iniesta brings up my problem I've always had: the inside of my big toe rubs against the toe cap. In worst case, the seam on the inside of the cap digs into the toe. While these are wider, will the toe cap be substantially wider from the NXGs?

After countless failed bakes and punches, the LHS hasn't been able to solve this pain. Any other ideas are appreciated.