Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior Krown 360 Helmet Initial Thoughts/Teardown

And the final contestant in the Year Of The Helmet (or The Year Of The Revolving Helmet on JR's Head); the Warrior Krown 360.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

The Krown 360 has several fit/comfort stories; we'll start with comfort. Three foams are used in the helmet - EPP for the main structure, then Impax (which is molded VN) is in the occipital and temple areas, then memory foam on top as a final touch - those are the darker and yellow pads.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

The way the helmet adjusts is by a single dial that lengthens/shortens the helmet as well as widens/narrows it as well.

IMG_0093.JPG

Completely closed

IMG_0094.JPG

Completely open

Now to the fun part -

The front of the helmet comes off by removing the front two screws.

IMG_0078.JPG

The side pieces are held together by the temple screws. My helmet had a bit of glue residue so it was a little tough to pull out.

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

The ear guards are removable. What is interesting is the rear screw - it actually has a channel and floats the screw - that's how the ear guard adjusts accordingly when the helmet is opened/closed.

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Now that all removable foams are out, this is what the helmet looks like -

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Notice the copper screws on the sides (and under the left back piece of the previous pic, more on that later) and the two indents on the crown of the helmet. All of those are what hold the mechanism together. Due to that, the back piece isn't recommended to be removed.

IMG_0099.JPG

The side bumpers are removable/accessible by prying a flathead screwdriver underneath.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

After I put it all together, I wanted to see where those back rivets were - they were hiding; under the CSA and HECC stickers.

IMG_0096.JPG

I'll be wearing it at SummerJam this weekend.

Big thanks to Chris Jenkinson, who is the Product Manager for Helmet/Protective/Gloves at Warrior. He ran me through the helmet today.

Any questions, please direct them in this thread. Chris will see the questions and will relay to me anything that is beyond my realm.

It's a good fit - I recommend to open the helmet completely then close it while it is on your head. No hotspots, which is good.

Every helmet I've used this year has been M. I am in a L on this one.

Also, no issues mating an Oakley visor to it. As with all embedded anchors, just be careful when you set the screws in.

Does the adjustment mechanism stay put? I'm afraid of it moving and accidentally have the helmet expand during the game.

A single dial controls length and width? Does this mean the two are not independent adjustments?

I've yet to find a helmet that fits perfectly and have high hopes that length and width are independent adjustments which should mean it will fit nearly any head shape.

A single dial controls length and width? Does this mean the two are not independent adjustments?

I've yet to find a helmet that fits perfectly and have high hopes that length and width are independent adjustments which should mean it will fit nearly any head shape.

Yes, the notched dial that's visible to you controls one of 2 notched rails. That rail then controls a very small 6-spoked wheel/gear which in turn controls the second rail above it. The rails are what controls the rest of the adjustment I believe. If that's correct then there are at least 3 points of contact for an adjustment to happen.

I tried one of these one at winterfest and and again last night (6 months later). Either my head changed shape or the helmet improved by light years. I was impressed by the fit and adjustment system. It fit my head fairly well and was pretty comfy. Adjustment dial was smooth and useful.

But I still prefer the E700 in every way. My favorite helmet by a country mile.

I tried one of these one at winterfest and and again last night (6 months later). Either my head changed shape or the helmet improved by light years. I was impressed by the fit and adjustment system. It fit my head fairly well and was pretty comfy. Adjustment dial was smooth and useful.

Why do you prefer the E700 over the Krown? I'm trying to decide between the two.

I think this bucket will be great for people with "different" head shapes. The E700 is great if it fits you (I love mine), but honestly the adjustment system is fairly spartan. My little brother can't fit into anything except a Bauer 4000. At least this gives people like him options.

I've used mine once, and will again tomorrow night. So far, so good. It's the combo (helmet w/cage). The adjustment was easy, and fit was good. That said, it'd be nice if there was a provision to tweak the pieces to allow for the sides/front and back to be moved independently of one another to give more fit options. I found that in the size L helmet I wear the fore/aft is perfect while I'd like to have the sides maybe just a bit more snug. That said, the helmet didn't move around at all and I liked the fit enough as-is. Ventilation is good, and vision with the Warrior cage is fine as well. I'm used to the 480 cages, but this one is on par all around. If I get a chance I'll try to weigh it with/without the cage.

Has that Impax VN been skinned or coated as well as molded and textured? It looks less superficially porous than bog-standard, bog-coloured Rubatex.

Always fascinated to read these tear-down articles: some of the best posts on MSH! I can imagine why manufacturers would be hesitant to sanction this, but it really does reveal the sophistication of a strong design -- as in this case.

Wanted to like this helmet but...after trying in side by side with Re-akt, M11Pro, e700, 11k, CCM, etc.

Impressions: (1...poor to 5...great)

Looks = 2 (looks big and round)

Adjustment = 2 (hard to adjust screw and adjuster seems breakable)

Comfort = 3 (not bad but would prefer separate front/side adjustments)

Safety = 4 (seems very protective)

Overall = 3 (just ok but the big round looks are a dissapointment)

I believe that would be the Pro only offering with VN padding.

Correct, switching padding isn't something new but it is neat. They can drastically change the fit of a helmet by changing the placement and thickness of the interior padding while maintaining the outer look.

So what's going on with this? Padding looks quite different..

$(KGrHqVHJDkE+LVh6uoiBQFv(WLR7Q~~60_12.JPG

I have one of those too, but we are just reviewing the retail helmet.

What is cool about the pro helmet is that you can "lock" it after it has been adjusted.

How's the weight of the Krown? As compared to Re-Akt, S19, 11K etc.

Heavy, noticeably so. Especially when compared to an S19 or E700.

I've been in Canada for a couple of weeks and enjoying the much larger selection at the LHSs compared to Florida. For the first helmet produce by Warrior this is a nice entry into the helmet market. I like the adjustability and method. Seems more solid and less likely to collapse in a violent collision. I've always hated helmets that adjusted by the side wings, far preferred screws. Interior padding seems very solid (non-flimsy), well placed and protective. In fact the interior is one of the more noteworthy features of the helmet.