Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyguy1

how to prevent holes in gloves? tricks?

I'm new here, its been about 12 years I don't play, but just got some gear and am back on the ice, feels great! Now I got some cheap gloves just to get me by, but know in going to where a home quick in them. Are there any tricks you guys know to prevent this? I've searched and only see don't use colored tape. Back when i played, some guys put shoe goo on the palms, i havent seen that anywhere that people use that. Any ever do that? And should i? Even a thin layer before I start wearing out a hole? Just trying to prevent the inevitable and have the gloves last a bit til I can upgrade to something better.

Thanks!

Use medical tape on the handle because it creates less friction on the palm therefore your palms will last longer, works amazing for me.

i tape my ends with normal tape and then i use one layer of clear tape. My personal preference is with the shape of the knob vs the grippiness of it.

I use shin guard tape. I have had no problems with losing my grip, and in almost a year of using my new Bauer 4 Roll gloves I have

virtually no wear on my palm. Howie's has come out with colored shin tape that feels pretty much like clear shin tape. I may try that. Comes in Red, black, and white if I am not mistaken.

thanks guys! i'll going to put a layer of clear tape over and try that out. other ideas are also good, will see what works best, and hopefully these gloves will last me awhile so i don't have to get another sooner than later.

I've been really happy with the Tacki-mac grips, they do seem to be easy on my Supreme One90 & Vapor XXX palms (I use the One90s more, but the stock palms don't have much wear at all after about 3 years of playing at least once a week). Plus, you don't have to worry about re-taping the handle ever.

I've been really happy with the Tacki-mac grips, they do seem to be easy on my Supreme One90 & Vapor XXX palms (I use the One90s more, but the stock palms don't have much wear at all after about 3 years of playing at least once a week). Plus, you don't have to worry about re-taping the handle ever.

In fact, the Tackimac becomes more grippy the more you use it. They have almost a smooth outside until you've worn that away (think of a rubber tire brand new vs a few weeks old).

tacki-mac is one way - but you can also just let the tape hang off the end of the stick a little bit when you tape up the butt end and that seems to work well too.

when i tape up the knob on the end i make sure it hangs off a little bit - then it covers up the sharp corners of the butt end which is what destroys gloves.

tacki-mac is one way - but you can also just let the tape hang off the end of the stick a little bit when you tape up the butt end and that seems to work well too.

when i tape up the knob on the end i make sure it hangs off a little bit - then it covers up the sharp corners of the butt end which is what destroys gloves.

Yep, I then pack down the excess a little bit by tamping it on the ground.

I'm also backing Tacki-Mac, made the switch about two years ago and will not be going back to tape for the handle anytime soon. My X60 Pro palms barely look used after playing 3-4x a week for the last year and a half.

Hmm, I thought it was the friction from the tape itself that was destroying my gloves.

I use tennis grip wrap (HERE). Works great. I have virtually no wear on my gloves, it's grippy, and it's just spongy enough to have a good feel in the palm.

+1

Hold the top of your stick in your fingers instead of up against your palm. A lesson from golf that has worked wonders re: on ice performance and glove maintenance.

i find tackimac grips hard to get used used to, really uncomfortable and offer no feel on the stick if youve used tape all your life on the handle. on the other side grip (or gauze as some would call it) works wonders and its really grippy + doesnt rip the palms. I buy the tape from the hockey store and not the gauze tape they at the pharmacy

I bought a Tacki Mac to try out on one of my sticks but I've only used it for one game so I can't say how well they work, palm durability wise, yet. For the past couple years, I have been using gauze tape, not the stretchy kind though. At first I used tennis gauze tape (http://www.bellracquetsports.com/catalog.asp?prodid=549952&showprevnext=1) but switched to sports tape gauze tape (http://www.modsquadh...ive-gauze-tape/) because of the good deal JA has in the link.

I never had any problem with palm wear with either gauze tapes used. I hope the Tacki Mac is as easy on the palms as well.