Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tommyj214

Anyone have the New CCM U+ Shoulder/Pants?

Scoured around for a bit looking for some feed back, can't find anything. Possibly looking to pick these up want some feed back on fit/feel/mobility.

Thanks

Are you talking the 2012 CL stuff? I have seen the pants and I can tell you they are a huge improvement. Much lighter and less bulky than before. The shoulder were also very nice but I have my doubts on how well the U+ foam will hold up to tearing. I can't really tell you how durable the stuff is as in most cases it hasn't been released yet.

I have the shoulder pads.

They're very light, breathable and mobile, but they also require a bit of breaking in. No signs of any wear on mine yet.

Are you talking the 2012 CL stuff? I have seen the pants and I can tell you they are a huge improvement. Much lighter and less bulky than before. The shoulder were also very nice but I have my doubts on how well the U+ foam will hold up to tearing. I can't really tell you how durable the stuff is as in most cases it hasn't been released yet.

Agreed, though as always, the CCM pant legs are shorter than other brands and has lower cut kidney protection (doesn't ride up as high) than others as well. I would imagine the lack of a belly protector on the SPs combined with this would leave a bit more gap than usual.

There are none in the area i live. Only seen them at places like hockey monkey at the moment. Also interested in the shinpads as well if anyone has a review on those.

i wonder what the weight difference is between the CL and Pro series. i tried looking everywhere but couldn't find it. i got the pro shins for half the cl ones. i dont think ive ever paid over 100$ for shin guards but they look nice

i wonder what the weight difference is between the CL and Pro series. i tried looking everywhere but couldn't find it. i got the pro shins for half the cl ones. i dont think ive ever paid over 100$ for shin guards but they look nice

A couple weight tests for the CL pads. Found them on the PureHockey.com youtube page.

Tried on the shoulders, pants, and shins. The shins will probably be my next set, as I liked the width (I have huge legs).

Shoulders were nice, but I could see them needing a bit of break in, as mentioned above. I usually take the bicep protection off of my shoulders, so I'm iffy on them.

Pants were alright. Much bulkier than the ones I have now, but my old ones are probably broken down a fair bit. I tried on a couple pairs of pants at the time, and I liked the padding on the CL's.

A couple weight tests for the CL pads. Found them on the PureHockey.com youtube page.

videos

If you can find the video with them comparing those to other brands, its even more drastic. IIRC something like 10 pound different between the CL and EQ50 and Vapor series products. Great promotional videos on CCMs behalf.

If you can find the video with them comparing those to other brands, its even more drastic. IIRC something like 10 pound different between the CL and EQ50 and Vapor series products. Great promotional videos on CCMs behalf.

I will have to search that one. I was surprised just by the weight difference between the CL+ and U+ PRO when wet. And I agree....CCM did great with these promo videos.

I have the CL+ gloves and have had no durability issues so far with the U+ foam. I've taken some gnarly slashes without any real pain. Yes I felt the impact but it didn't actually hurt. It will be interesting to see how well the U+ foam stands up to full body weight impacts (shoulder pads), but as far as use in the gloves has been great.

wore the CL shoulders last night.. coming from warrior projekts.. extremely light weight. caps are nice and not to bulky although I wouldn't say low profile. adequate protection, they don't look very protective in the ribs and stomach area but should be ok.. the pads are prob not great for guys who block alot of shots, get the CS if that's the case. these are def performance pads.. they retain almost no sweat it's pretty amazing really. comfortable I felt pretty protected in them to be honest.. all in all very impressed for the first time wear.

imag0571v.jpg

imag0577.jpg

imag0578a.jpg

I have the CL+ gloves and have had no durability issues so far with the U+ foam. I've taken some gnarly slashes without any real pain. Yes I felt the impact but it didn't actually hurt. It will be interesting to see how well the U+ foam stands up to full body weight impacts (shoulder pads), but as far as use in the gloves has been great.

I was mostly referring to the shoulder pads. Im not too worried about the foam when its contained (like in a skate or glove), I could see the shoulder pads tearing though.

Hunt3rSean, bruins89, thanks for the vids!

Ufeelshame, thanks for the pics!

Rest of ya! Thanks as well! Great feed back, as I'm using you guys to get me info, NO LHS near me, my only option is ordering online!

This stuff sounds/looks legit, these pants and shoulders look like they will be my next purchase. The pants and shoulders I have now are about 10 years old, Pants are CCM 652s.... and shoulders are some crappy Easton Ultra Lights, which is not at all light, both items have seen better days!

Was gonna go with RBK 9k shoulders/shins/elbows and 7k pants until i tried on a friends 9k's and the shoulder caps were huMANGUS big, wasn't really diging that. Though i still may go with the RBK shins/elbows, unless you guys can convince me other wise! I also skate with my shins over my tongues so i like the bottom of the shin pad to be a bit wider, i use Jofa 9040s right now love em, but those are also about 10 years old and the removable pad is destroyed!

Thanks in advance!!

I wonder how the weight of the shoulder pads compare to the lower end shoulder pads that the average guy wears. For example I wear the ccm 05 and a lot of guys wear the very basic light shoulder pads. Just curious.

I can say that the CCM low profile caps are indeed low profile. No shoulder/chest pad will seem "slim" but that's the nature of the beast when you're needing to protect shoulders. But, from what I've tried on, the CCM caps seem to be the most low profile outside of the oldschool Sherwoods. I use the CCM U+ 09 shoulder pads and love them. They are already lighter then a pair of the Bauer and Sherwood pads I've used before so I can only assume these new CL+ are even better.

wore the CL shoulders last night.. coming from warrior projekts.. extremely light weight. caps are nice and not to bulky although I wouldn't say low profile. adequate protection, they don't look very protective in the ribs and stomach area but should be ok.. the pads are prob not great for guys who block alot of shots, get the CS if that's the case. these are def performance pads.. they retain almost no sweat it's pretty amazing really. comfortable I felt pretty protected in them to be honest.. all in all very impressed for the first time wear.

Is the difference in weight coming from the Projekts drastic? I heard the Projekts were pretty light also. I'm trying to find a shoulder that has good overall protection and protects the lower stomach and lower back. I'm looking at the 2012 Projekts as an option. I like the weight of the new CL's, but they don't come down low enough apparently. What is the difference like between your Projekts and CL's in low down protection?

Here's my 2 cents, after wearing them in one game.

The U+ CL pads are amazing. I agree with Ufeelshame and his assessment. The weight is the biggest difference, coming from old school flak jacket style pads (Sher-Tek<wood> 905). I also must say the the way CCM places the shoulder caps seems to make a difference as well in my mobility as I can rotate my shoulders with greater freedom.

The CCMs breath better compared to my old pads; so I wasn't getting too hot during a game (which I had issues with previously). It was also nice that the U-Foam doesn't absorb water, so the pads they felt comfortable throughout my entire ice time.

@Ufeelshame, its interesting that the hard plastic on your pads are black, whereas, CCM used red plastic (ie. sternum and spine protection). I'm assuming you didn't color in the black with a Sharpie, did you?

I have the CL pants, shoulders and shins.

First impression is fantastic quality, and very little unnecessary padding. I weighed everything as well, and they are indeed lighter while providing equal of more protection. Have not done the water test, nor will I.

• CCM CL 16" Shins = 0.55kg each (vs 0.7kg for my Bauer 8000s)
  • CCM CL LRG shoulders = 0.7kg (vs 1.2kg for my CCM U+Pros)
  • CCM CL LRG Pants = 1.5kg (vs 1.65kg for Tackla 951 Advantages with some padding missing)

All the gear is fantastic frankly. And yes, the pants have suspender buttons. Feel free to ask questions.

I wonder how the weight of the shoulder pads compare to the lower end shoulder pads that the average guy wears. For example I wear the ccm 05 and a lot of guys wear the very basic light shoulder pads. Just curious.

The CL shoulders don't weigh much more than my SWD 5030s and are significantly more protective.

i took a look at the Cl shoulder pads and they look fantastic but i am kind of iffy about the U-foam protection and especially the protection on the ribs and the back(not including the spine), unfortunately my LHS doesn't have the CS pads, honestly i don't really care about it being light weight as long as the pad isn't TOO heavy, what i look for is protection especially in the ribs, so can anybody trell me about the protection of the CS?