Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tracR

ACL Brace

Hey guys I just recently got knee surgery and was informed that when I come back I will ned to be wearing a brace under my shinpads. Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of brace I should get or what is the best? I did find a video with Malkin putting on a knee brace because I know he had reconstructive knee surgery. Anyone know what kind it is it is around the 20 second mark.

When I came back from an ACL surgery I just used one like this. I only wore it long enough to get some strength in the knee and gain confidence. After 5+ years without the knee brace now, the worse I get is knee soreness. Good luck with your recovery.

I think the one that Malkin is wearing is a Donjoy...

I currently use two different braces on my knees. I had knee recon done years ago, then was using the type of sleeve that armada was using until I reinjured my knee again. I then started using a few different knee braces until I got a CTi2 hockey brace from Innovation sports (now under a different name).

I also have a Innovation Sports C180 knee brace (off the shelf) for my other knee.

The CTi2 is thicker but is more supportive.

I use the carbon fibre donjoy. It's a custom fit, costs around $1300 (my insurance covers 80%). Donjoys are very good.

You should have had your orthopaedic's brace fitter have a brace custom for you. Let them know you will be wearing padding while playing sports. Mine is a low profile patella stabiliser and has not affected me much.

I will make one big suggestion, strapless shin guards. I have found that using only shin tape at least on the brace was much more comfortable and did not put excess pressure on your knee.

I also suggest you wear your shins around the house to get used to the new feel, mine are new so still breaking them in.

You should have had your orthopaedic's brace fitter have a brace custom for you. Let them know you will be wearing padding while playing sports. Mine is a low profile patella stabiliser and has not affected me much.

I will make one big suggestion, strapless shin guards. I have found that using only shin tape at least on the brace was much more comfortable and did not put excess pressure on your knee.

I also suggest you wear your shins around the house to get used to the new feel, mine are new so still breaking them in.

When getting fitted take your shin pad with you! its a big help!

I tape my knee but its not needing the full big brace yet, is that an option for you?

I have actually started to fell good with just the shin pads. However when I rec skate I prefer to have the brace on.

I will eventually modify my shins to support it with little to no obstruction.

Let your ortho tell you what type of brace you'll need. Different braces do different things, some support, others stabilize. Depends on what type of injury you have.

Malkin is wearing a Donjoy Defiance III. Probably the most popular knee ligament brace in pro sports.

I wore a custom Donjoy after having ACL reconstruction (same as the one Malkin is wearing). I've since stopped wearing the brace for hockey, doc said I would ditch it in time.

I'd say, modify your pads to fit your brace, not the other way around.

Good luck with the recovery.

I forgot to mention that I went ahead a few weeks back and modified my newly acquired projekt shin pads.

The first game I played in the shin pads, I used them stock. I felt that the shin pad was sitting a little to much off the leg and not snug enough. I then cut out about 6-8" of the internal padding in the middle of the shin area (where the brace meets the shin pad). Feels so much more snug.

Also, I now tape up my shin pads instead of using the normal strapping system.

Ok thanks for all the information guys I am still a few months out from getting a brace seeming that I only had surgery february 10th but hey just wanted to get advice. I am looking at Donjoy's and Ossur's. The difference in them is where the carbon fiber piece that goes around knee is place, one is in the back and one has it in the front but thanks again so much for your input and best wishes guys.

I think the one that Malkin is wearing is a Donjoy...

I currently use two different braces on my knees. I had knee recon done years ago, then was using the type of sleeve that armada was using until I reinjured my knee again. I then started using a few different knee braces until I got a CTi2 hockey brace from Innovation sports (now under a different name).

I also have a Innovation Sports C180 knee brace (off the shelf) for my other knee.

The CTi2 is thicker but is more supportive.

Innovation was bought by Ossur

There's another video... somewhere around 1:40 you can see a couple of braces in the background, and towards the end at 2:08

I too have had ACL tendon graph reconstruction. I have a custom CTI2 knee brace that I needed in order to continue racing motocross. It is VERY bulky to me when skating, but at over $1000 to produce, I'm gonna have to make it work for hockey. I was curious as to

custom" knee pads that would accomodate such a brace.

Custom knee pads? Its more about buying the knee pads off the shelf, then modifying it to fit your brace. If I have some time I'll take some pics of my current setup.

Thanks WABBs! I was just thinking of trying something like that! I have reebok 7K knee pads and WITHOUT mods there's no way i can wear the entire pad over the CTI brace...

ALSO...I need a new brace sleeve...suggestion?

Assume you have the CTI2 Hockey, which is what I've got.

I wear a CTI2 on my left knee, and a C180 on my right. What I've done was to cut away the liner in the shin pad in the areas where your knee brace would sit. I actually bought a pair of brand new Warrior Projekts, and cut almost all the interior liner out. Whatever was left, I taped up the edges with duct tape to prevetn the foam from getting all over the place. I had to cut away the straps as well, and tape the shin pads down.

Also you might want to consider widening your shins a little to have the shin pad sit better.

Brace sleeve, over or under?

Love my DonJoy knee brace. I used to play with it before I felt confident that my knee was fully healed. All I did was get a shinguard that had a removable liner and tried it on at my LHS no problems and when I stopped using the brace I just put the liner back in and it fit great. Good luck on your recovery.

Zorlac, I had to make some mods to my pad to fit over my brace. I had to remove section of the liner and trim the excess plastic from the knee cap. That still wasn't enough. I ended up cutting the knee cup into three section. That allowed the edges to freely flex outward, which helped my knee sit deeper in the pad with the brace on. No way I would have worn that pad without the brace. It's protection was seriously compromised.

If I were you, I'd look into an off the shelf brace designed for hockey. I can't imagine that motocross being mobile enough to skate in.

I have the CTI2 Motocross version, it's serious support, but MAJOR bulky. I tried to cut away pieces of an older shin pad, but to no avail. The brace is just too wide. I played today without it, and my knee felt fine, but it's that one time I'll tweak it, that I'm gonna regret. I'll look into a new brace option. UNDER the brace is what I'm looking for as far as a sleeve Wabb...

I have a custom CTI from Osssur. I have a pair of 2012 (maybe 2011) Reebok 9K shin pads that have a removable liner in them. I leave the liner in my right pad and take it out of my left pad to make room for my knee brace. I don't even notice it out there!

I use a donjoy and it works great but like others say it's hard to fit with the shin pads. I ended up cutting off part of the calf guard that over lapped the brace on my RBK shins and that seems to have done the trick.