Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Interesting comment by Chara on industry's constant change

This was in today's Boston Globe, while discussing his slapshot during the All Star festivities:

Meanwhile, Big Z, who rarely grows animated during his discussions with the media, was clearly frustrated with how equipment manufacturers are so quick to change stick specifications. Based on what he said, every time he gets comfortable with a stick, it seems the manufacturer changes the design - literally taking the tool out of his hands.

“The pressure on the company making the sticks is unbelievable,’’ he said. “You have a stick, you like it, and you tell them, ‘That’s what I want.’ And then it changes.

“So then you ask, ‘Why’d you stop making that?’ And then they say, ‘Well, we have to!’

“It just doesn’t make sense. They’re doing it because of some new graphic, or design, or blade . . . it’s crazy.’’

From my time with Salming, I'd agree with him that it is almost as though the hockey industry has gotten itself into a trap where companies have to make changes annually or be perceived as falling behind. In comparison, in the car industry, where there are hundreds of parts as well as scores of designers, they will generally make minor tweaks annually and major redesigns every five years, but it's a lot easier for them to tweak a cup holder than it is for a hockey company to totally redesign a stick.

It's all about revenue and marketing. Look at the golf industry, it is the same way. New clubs yearly (or more frequently for certain companies) with no noticeable performance gain. There are always those who need the latest and greatest, and they will pay for it.

It's all about revenue and marketing. Look at the golf industry, it is the same way. New clubs yearly (or more frequently for certain companies) with no noticeable performance gain. There are always those who need the latest and greatest, and they will pay for it.

The snowboarding industry is the same way.

What I would give for another production run of One95's :(

QFT!

But chara is right, they do it sometimes for no reason. One95 was very good to great in pretty much all areas, but they scrap it after a year.

My brother actually texted me about this today.. and then went on and on about how he misses his beloved Tacks. Even though he's come to terms with his U+

My brother actually texted me about this today.. and then went on and on about how he misses his beloved Tacks. Even though he's come to terms with his U+

I love my Pro Tacks. I was in an LHS yesterday to get new holders mounted on them and I was looking at the skates and I just don't think the craftsmanship is the same anymore.

Its not just sticks, look at the "all time favorite gear thread" how many people wouldnt trade their latest and "greatest" equipment for their older stuff that they were comfortable with! I mean if you gave me my choice between Bauer Vapor 10 skates and my X:60's or any other newer skate for that matter Id take the 10's. Personally Ive started to hoard equipemt and things that i know i like so when the one i use now goes, i have one ready to go!

Its not just sticks, look at the "all time favorite gear thread" how many people wouldnt trade their latest and "greatest" equipment for their older stuff that they were comfortable with! I mean if you gave me my choice between Bauer Vapor 10 skates and my X:60's or any other newer skate for that matter Id take the 10's. Personally Ive started to hoard equipemt and things that i know i like so when the one i use now goes, i have one ready to go!

I'll be very sad when my dusty old Si-Core goes.

Exactly what I was just thinking, Apes. It's such a shame that so much great stuff, like Daoust, can't be had anymore. And when something new and great does come along, it changes too quickly, or fails to survive if it doesn't (I'm convinced, btw, that Easton will kill the MLX concept - hope I'm wrong). It's become an industry not unlike fashion. I understand why it's happened, but I wish quality would reign over sizzle. The whole thing has turned me into an equipment hoarder, too.

I'll be very sad when my dusty old Si-Core goes.

I understand, thats very rare to find anymore if at all! I almost cried when my original synergy, (the dark grey one) snapped after like 5 years, id give any of my curret sticks for another one in that style!

I just found out that Carbsters fit me perfectly. Damn it all to hell... I'm going to have to get a mask-maker to clone a couple...

The current equipment cycle used by all manufacturers is 2 years, not one.

That's good to hear, JR, because I thought having to come up with, and stock, slightly different equipment each year was a heavy burden on the manufacturers and distributors.

that reminds me of my school - they pay several thousand of dollars per year for an autodesk subscription - and every year there is a new version of autocad that gets put out, regardless of whether there were any significant changes. Most years you would swear they just changed the label to the new year and didn't add anything..

Bauer is changing most sticks every year by offering a different colour pattern in the same style with new model numbers. Technically it not new but requires new sku's and complete inventory offering.

the cycle is turning over much too fast on some non-perfomance price points.

While the cycle is two years, when you look at companies like Bauer and Easton with two completely separate lines of sticks that are on staggered cycles, they're effectively coming out with a new "latest and greatest" stick every year. For instance, last year was the TO and this year was the APX, etc. Same with skates.

This is pretty much the case in all equipment-based sports.

Look at golf, it used to be a 3 or 4 year cycle for irons, now it's 2, drivers used to be 2 years, now it's 1. This is just the nature of equipment today, and is also a product of how each company is always battling to innovate. You either get a lot of fluid product lines that may change, but are always looking to add something, or you get stagnation.

Let's be honest, most people on this site really love gear too, so they are always looking for something new. As much as it sucks for a guy like Chara, or any pro for that matter who falls in love with one feel, these guys aren't the people who they are marketing their products too, they are just one of the tools they use to do it.

The snowboarding industry is the same way.

Most expensive stuff i know is sport bikes industry imagine redesigning a brand new motorcycle every 2 years.

I think the one95 had a 3 year run?

This is pretty much the case in all equipment-based sports.

Look at golf, it used to be a 3 or 4 year cycle for irons, now it's 2, drivers used to be 2 years, now it's 1. This is just the nature of equipment today, and is also a product of how each company is always battling to innovate. You either get a lot of fluid product lines that may change, but are always looking to add something, or you get stagnation.

Let's be honest, most people on this site really love gear too, so they are always looking for something new. As much as it sucks for a guy like Chara, or any pro for that matter who falls in love with one feel, these guys aren't the people who they are marketing their products too, they are just one of the tools they use to do it.

Just think how much money Warrior made Saturday night with that 108.8mph!

Yep. To the kid who doesn't know/nerd out on this stuff, he's going to be begging for that Warrior stick. Either the crappy Bentley at Dicks Sporting Goods or something legit from a proshop.

I love my RS to death, but I would trade it for another 85 flex LH Kovalev MacDaddy in a heartbeat.

Miss that thing. :(

Not exactly, you forgot about Q4 releases, which basically kill sales on prior models, even if it is simply a color or graphic change. But lately it's been a new model added to the line in Oct.