Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

satori

Help with inline skate fit coming from Graf G3's

I am looking to get back into roller hockey and I am not sure where to start with the skates. I am looking for a mid to upper level skate (T8 or equivalent).

I currently play ice with Graf G3's that fit me perfectly. I have pretty narrow heels/feet. normal to flat arch. I also like that the Graf's have a little forward flex, not like ski-boot tight.

the sales people at my local shop don't seem up on the fit of the skates they sell. They do have a big selection.. Mission, Alkali, Tour, RBK, Bauer. I'd like to narrow it down a little before I go in to buy.

Thanks!

Why not buy a second pair of G3s and have them converted? Unless I'm missing something key in my theorizing.

if you don't have problem with heat then I'd second that idea.

If you do though,I'd stay away from Rbk, mission and tour as they have the reputation to have a wider fit. however, rbl does have the pump feature, and if you can get them in a C then they could workout for you...

But trying them out is the best option for sure..

Thanks for the ideas.

Is there any reason I should be looking at wider skates for roller hockey (compared to ice hockey)? I know I buy a slightly larger running shoe to account for foot growth over the distance. I notice this more when it is warm.

I can't say enough good about the Alkali skates, and with how they mold through baking it could prove a good narrow fit. Otherwise the Vapors are probably the only other narrow option. Or as stated you could go with a G3 conversion, so long as your LHS is competent in doing conversions.

There's no reason to look for a boot that won't fit regardless of ice or roller.

I can't say enough good about the Alkali skates, and with how they mold through baking it could prove a good narrow fit. Otherwise the Vapors are probably the only other narrow option. Or as stated you could go with a G3 conversion, so long as your LHS is competent in doing conversions.

There's no reason to look for a boot that won't fit regardless of ice or roller.

I do like the Alkali skates a bunch. I like what I've read here about being a small company with excellent customer service. If they fit that's probably what I'll end up with. I'll also check out the vapors.

Definitely give our skates a try. The fit is amazing and I will be happy to answer any questions. I appreciate you taking the time to look at our skates.

Justin

I do like the Alkali skates a bunch. I like what I've read here about being a small company with excellent customer service. If they fit that's probably what I'll end up with. I'll also check out the vapors.

I was lucky enough to try out my friends pair of Alkali CA9 skates and they were nothing short of awesome. If I had the cash I would totally snag a pair of CA9 skates. There definitely the future of the sport.

I wear graf 703 ice skates (same fit as g3). I wouldn't convert the texalite outsole since there have been reports of the outsole not holding for long on conversions. Someone on here also said graf told them that their texalite outsole might not work for inline conversions and that you would need to special order their old style outsole - the white plastic one - for conversions.

Based on Justin's description of the alkali fit, they wont fit your foot if you fit well in g3s. The alkali fit is more like the graf g35 - based on alkalis own description as I haven't tried them. While I love the g3 fit, g35s have way too much forefoot width for me.

Heat molding will not make a boot fit more narrow. It is meant to expand the skate to accommodate the foot.

I wear graf 703 ice skates (same fit as g3). I wouldn't convert the texalite outsole since there have been reports of the outsole not holding for long on conversions. Someone on here also said graf told them that their texalite outsole might not work for inline conversions and that you would need to special order their old style outsole - the white plastic one - for conversions.

Based on Justin's description of the alkali fit, they wont fit your foot if you fit well in g3s. The alkali fit is more like the graf g35 - based on alkalis own description as I haven't tried them. While I love the g3 fit, g35s have way too much forefoot width for me.

Heat molding will not make a boot fit more narrow. It is meant to expand the skate to accommodate the foot.

I'm not an expert there, but I don't think that's true, it is in some cases, but not all skates have the same technology. alkali have a longer baking process than most other boots, meaning the heatmolding properties goes beyond expanding & working the foam in but rather melt and shape and contour the foot. (marketing ads there, but see the ads about the U+CL).

anyways, i think that from what you have, you can go and tryout the different skates at your lhs.

I have the u+ pro reloaded also which converted to ice. They are virtually the same as the Cl. Wont work. Perhaps alkali will clarify but I'm sure if they are honest they wont recommend their skate to someone claiming that they can shrink the skate during baking. I have been wrong before though lol.

I have a very narrow foot, and yes, the skate will not shrink. However when heated, the eyelet facing wraps over and takes the shape of my foot. My eyelets do get a closer together, but there is no slop.

Willy,

Heat fitting is not about just about expanding your boot, it is about molding/changing the shape of the boot to fit a specific foot.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up with a pair of CA7's. They fit me better than the Vapor XR5, and much better than the Mission T10 (way too wide). Once baked, they had a super comfortable fit. I was mixed on the XR5 and CA7 because I felt more stable skating around in the Bauer since the boot felt lower to the ground. I also felt the bauer was lighter. I'm still not sure I made the right choice considering the stability factor and weight but the fit is there for sure.

Justin, I noticed you have the same slogan as Nike - "make it count". Is Nike paying you royalties for that? :smile:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up with a pair of CA7's. They fit me better than the Vapor XR5, and much better than the Mission T10 (way too wide). Once baked, they had a super comfortable fit. I was mixed on the XR5 and CA7 because I felt more stable skating around in the Bauer since the boot felt lower to the ground. I also felt the bauer was lighter. I'm still not sure I made the right choice considering the stability factor and weight but the fit is there for sure.

Justin, I noticed you have the same slogan as Nike - "make it count". Is Nike paying you royalties for that? :smile:

I saw the ca7s at my lhs the other day. Its the only alkali skate they carry unfortunately. Good looking skate. I was also wondering why the chassis mounted the boot so high. Do the ca7s have the same fit as the ca9s? I'd love to try on the ca9s.

We did get a chuckle when Nike came out with the slogan on New Years. Unfortunately I did not trademark the slogan.

As for the skate height, we wanted the skate to be slight higher off the ground so that "bottoming out" on the side of the skate would happen less frequently. Also, it also our chassis to directly mount on a skate without cutting into the outsole.

In terms of fit, the CA7 and CA9 will fit very similar.

So I will be playing inline this summer and also have a more or less perfect fit in the 703 NARROW with texalite bottoms. Yes, my foot is twig-like. I found 703s with the white outsole but a half size too small and in a regular width, but don't know what to do. Should I buy those and stretch them out lengthwise and make the conversion. Convert my current skates with the texalites or does anyone have any skate recommendations other than Graf custom?

A half size is a pretty big difference to stretch a skate to. Is there a problem with converting skates with texalite outsoles?

Also, are you playing out of silvercreek? Or dry ice?

Water City. :sad: It's the closest to my house.

The ice to inline conversion forum and wetwilly say that there have been problems with the texalite outsole for conversions. I don't know how true or false that is. I think I might just do it since I have nothing to lose and they are my older pair.

Ah, ok. If you ever go to Rollin ice for a pick up, let me know!

If you have nothing to lose, go ahead! Worst thing that can happen is the outsole doesn't last as long as some other skates. It's worth a shot to throw a chassis on.

Ah, ok. If you ever go to Rollin ice for a pick up, let me know!

If you have nothing to lose, go ahead! Worst thing that can happen is the outsole doesn't last as long as some other skates. It's worth a shot to throw a chassis on.

Cool. Definitely. That's a pretty good idea though. A msh meetup for pickup. I think there's 10 or so guys on here near San Jose.

So I will be playing inline this summer and also have a more or less perfect fit in the 703 NARROW with texalite bottoms. Yes, my foot is twig-like. I found 703s with the white outsole but a half size too small and in a regular width, but don't know what to do. Should I buy those and stretch them out lengthwise and make the conversion. Convert my current skates with the texalites or does anyone have any skate recommendations other than Graf custom?

for ice, i also use 703 narrow. however, i am sort of in between the regular and narrow fit, with narrow being a little too narrow at the heel and a little too shallow for me. but they are the best fitting stock skate i've found for me.

for inline i'm skating in rx60s right now that are close enough. i'd like them a little tighter but they are close enough that i use the 2mm ezee fit ankle sleeve to tighten them up. i think the bauers that are built off the vapor last are your best bet. one issue i have with the bauers though is the straight heel. i like the pronounced heel off the 703. if i don't wear my ankle sleeve, my heel hurts in bauer when i do hard backwards skating.

if you do convert your texalites, please let me know how it goes long term. i also have some skates you might like that are a little too narrow for me. i will pm you.