Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

Ovechkin not renewing CCM endorsement

While I didn't want to use this thread as a diatribe against CCM, I have to admit that after they axed the HT2 helmet and the Tacks line, that there's a part of me that would absolutely love it if Ovechkin goes out and scores about 200 goals this season.

I wonder if they plan on offering his actual curve in some capacity.

I get that most of the time they just paste a name on one of the old standard curves, but are they doing that here? Aren't they trying to replicate it?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/41671-Ovechkin-says-hell-be-in-better-shape-better-leader-after-careerworst-season.html

Ouch! The end of this article is basically talking about how Ovechkin is excited to leave CCM because he's more confident in the durability of Bauer sticks. Even Leonsis gets in on the CCM-bashing, although it's all done in an indirect way (praising Bauer compared to performance of his previous sticks).

I'm a little surprised to hear a player and owner putting so much emphasis on the gear, and kind of bashing a manufacturer in the process. I don't think I've ever heard that before. If I was CCM I'd be a little ticked off considering the vast sums of money they must have paid him over the life of that deal. Good PR for Bauer though.

The owner of my LHS said the P08 pattern will be very close to the Crazi Ovi curve, but within the limits of the NHL rulebook. From the TSR pics it does look slightly toned down from the CrazyOvi/Kremlin, but it could just be the angle of the photos?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/41671-Ovechkin-says-hell-be-in-better-shape-better-leader-after-careerworst-season.html

Ouch! The end of this article is basically talking about how Ovechkin is excited to leave CCM because he's more confident in the durability of Bauer sticks. Even Leonsis gets in on the CCM-bashing, although it's all done in an indirect way (praising Bauer compared to performance of his previous sticks).

I'm a little surprised to hear a player and owner putting so much emphasis on the gear, and kind of bashing a manufacturer in the process. I don't think I've ever heard that before. If I was CCM I'd be a little ticked off considering the vast sums of money they must have paid him over the life of that deal. Good PR for Bauer though.

Bob Gainey told Jose Theodore to change back to his vaugn pads when he switched to itechs, dont know if anyone else remembers that.

I have seen the P08 curve. It is the Crazy Ovi curve. Bauer already has the Crazy Ovi curve in their production line. Uh, they have already made Ovi his curve!

I have seen the P08 curve. It is the Crazy Ovi curve. Bauer already has the Crazy Ovi curve in their production line. Uh, they have already made Ovi his curve!

Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder why the pics TSR posted didn't really resemble it.

I was thinking the same thing Brian. As for the p08, I wonder if it will be offered as a blade at the retail level.

I talked to Reebok/CCM rep and asked him why the company was pushing Reebok branding in the AHL. This was when everyone had to use Reebok branded sticks. Even the CCM sticks were repainted as Reebok. He told me that they wanted to grow the Reebok brand and that with Ovechkin in CCM, that branding was taken care of. Not sure of the veracity of that statement but who will fill Ovechkin's shoes/skates for CCM?

I talked to Reebok/CCM rep and asked him why the company was pushing Reebok branding in the AHL. This was when everyone had to use Reebok branded sticks. Even the CCM sticks were repainted as Reebok. He told me that they wanted to grow the Reebok brand and that with Ovechkin in CCM, that branding was taken care of. Not sure of the veracity of that statement but who will fill Ovechkin's shoes/skates for CCM?

No one. Another guy may become their poster boy, but the bottom line is they are not going to find a single player in the sport right now that can replace the marketability of Alex Ovechkin.

No one. Another guy may become their poster boy, but the bottom line is they are not going to find a single player in the sport right now that can replace the marketability of Alex Ovechkin.

Malkin seems to be a free agent as far as endorsements go, and he's been favoring CCM sticks lately.

Malkin seems to be a free agent as far as endorsements go, and he's been favoring CCM sticks lately.

Last deal didn't work out so well for Malkin or Bauer. The training videos they posted a while back had an Rs and Totalone in terms of sticks though.

Do you really think OV brought in that many sales? I can't recall in all the years he was with CCM where his endorsement actually brought people in for a product. In fact, he's really hated around here and I think he hurt sales, not helped. Unlike Crosby, totally different. I remember once, Crosby had a RBK undergarment on during a between period interview, next day, tons of requests for it, same with his hats.

Do you really think OV brought in that many sales? I can't recall in all the years he was with CCM where his endorsement actually brought people in for a product. In fact, he's really hated around here and I think he hurt sales, not helped. Unlike Crosby, totally different. I remember once, Crosby had a RBK undergarment on during a between period interview, next day, tons of requests for it, same with his hats.

Kids in my shop asked regularly about 2 guys, Datsyuk and Ovechkin. I think in the Michigan area at least, he pushed a decent amount of product.

Just because you personally havn't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. OV will bring a lot of exposure for the Bauer brand in his promotions, his playing, and much more. If he scores 60 goals, Bauer can say it was because of/with Bauer products. If he wins awards, Bauer can say it was with their help. You don't need to have some kid running into an LHS screaming I want this stick because it has OV on it to deem marketing effective. Rather, you want consumers to consciously and subconsciously recognize the Bauer brand and attribute the success of its athletes to the effectiveness of its products. With Bauer having a lot of elite talented players under its belt, it shows consumers that pros prefer Bauer over the competition and from a marketing perspective, that shows dominance. There's a reason Bauer has 49% Market Share, their marketing os a very strong reason for that.