Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton SyNergy EQ50 Skate/NanoGlide runners Initial Thoughts

I just received a pair of Easton SyNergy EQ50 skates today.

Me and Easton skates have had a pretty good relationship - off the rack, it is one of the skates that can work for me in terms of fitting my foot. The previous skates that I have reviewed were the original SyNergy, and Stealth S15. Based on what I fit in those skates, I requested an 11 R, but came to find out that since the EQ50 is a lasted skate (not composite shell-based like the aforementioned SyNergy and S15) they were running D and EE. Chris told me that he went out and sent the D out and if there were any complications, to send them back and go with the EE.

eq50skate.jpg

Skates, in a box. The first thing I did was to inspect the skate. Must admit, they did a top-notch job here; stitching is good, alignment is dead-on (except for those damn thick copper rivets, every company uses them now and it drives me crazy!) but the aesthetics really impressed me. The components are sharp, with the clear plastic on top of the carbon fiber sheets along the eyerows, heels and tendon guard.

eq50skate8.jpg

The tongue is molded, felt-lined with a hard lacebite guard. Interior is nash, and a grip print down the back and around the heels.

eq50skate2.jpg

eq50skate3.jpg

Ankle padding is very similar to what was in the Stealth line, however, not as drastic - it does have a good heel lock, which plagued those who skated in the EQ5.

On to the fit -

Very generous cut for a D - wide in fore and mid, and slightly tapering off in the heel. Volume is good, but the only problem I have foreseen (and it proved right by me) was that the ankle area has a bit too much volume.

eq50skate4.jpg

eq50skate5.jpg

eq50skate6.jpgeq50skate7.jpg

As you can see from the pictures (especially from the right skate), the skate laces up well until it starts going up the boot. Now, keep in mind, these are literally out of the box, so things may change up a bit after they are baked.

I will have to skate with the top eyelet unlaced (and flopped tongue) to get past that problem at the top of the ankle. The orientation of the top eyelet exacerbates the volume problem - there's about 1/2" from it to edge of boot.

I will bake the skate this weekend and go from there; at that point the LTR will start.

Special thanks goes out to Chris Norqual at Easton Hockey and Matt Kovacs at Formula for making this possible.

Questions?

So I suppose that we can assume (pre-bake of course) that these are not as tight in the ankle/heed area as compared to the S15s?

I was wondering if you could compare a skate like the Easton SyNergy EQ50 to something like the *** series. I am new to this and looking for input on different skates against a pro model like the ***. Just trying to get a good understanding of the differences in these two skates(fit,performance, protection etc).

As you can see from the pictures (especially from the right skate), the skate laces up well until it starts going up the boot. Now, keep in mind, these are literally out of the box, so things may change up a bit after they are baked.

I will have to skate with the top eyelet unlaced (and flopped tongue) to get past that problem at the top of the ankle. The orientation of the top eyelet exacerbates the volume problem - there's about 1/2" from it to edge of boot.

What should one be looking for in a new skate when lacing it up? That all eyelets fold over like the bottom ones in your picture?

I was wondering if you could compare a skate like the Easton SyNergy EQ50 to something like the *** series. I am new to this and looking for input on different skates against a pro model like the ***. Just trying to get a good understanding of the differences in these two skates(fit,performance, protection etc).

No, you're not. What's even funnier is that there are probably more pros in this skate than yours. Bye-bye, troll.

So I suppose that we can assume (pre-bake of course) that these are not as tight in the ankle/heed area as compared to the S15s?

On me, it's got a good heel lock, not the vice grip that was the S15s (and I loved that about those skates)

What should one be looking for in a new skate when lacing it up? That all eyelets fold over like the bottom ones in your picture?

An uniform lacing pattern, same width through the pattern. It's there on the left, not on the right.

Oh that's a shame then haha. I don't think anything less than the S15 vice-grip is gonna work well for me :sad: (I'm in S15s see?) I couldn't tell from the pics, but are they still using the scalloped steel?

Good review - if wearing size 7 in S17 go w/ 7 in EQ50? THX

Length sizing is the same.

Oh that's a shame then haha. I don't think anything less than the S15 vice-grip is gonna work well for me :sad: (I'm in S15s see?) I couldn't tell from the pics, but are they still using the scalloped steel?

I would imagine if they make a S17 replacement that it would keep the same fit.

Do they still have the embedded heel lift in the innersole? Looking forward to hear how they compare to the S17 in performance.

Length sizing is the same.

I would imagine if they make a S17 replacement that it would keep the same fit.

Does you foot sit back farther? I was a 7 in the S17's and I am a 6.5 in the EQ50's.

Definitely looking forward to this LTR, these skates really interest me, look beautiful and simple. I liked the fit of SE16s when I tried them on in store, is it right to assume that these fit similarly? I also have liked how Easton toe boxes have traditionally been shorter (height wise) than those from most other brands, I hate feeling like my toes are swimming (and add pads to the top of the inside of my Bauer toe caps for this reason), these toe caps look a bit taller though, closer to SE16s/S17s or to more Bauer-like toe caps height wise?

Does you foot sit back farther? I was a 7 in the S17's and I am a 6.5 in the EQ50's.

No...but I think I can answer your question - there's more room in the toecap in the EQ50. Perhaps you went up 1/2 sz to compensate for that? I just opened the skate, put my foot in and pushed it all the way up front. I can't get a pencil in there, which equates roughly to half a size.

Definitely looking forward to this LTR, these skates really interest me, look beautiful and simple. I liked the fit of SE16s when I tried them on in store, is it right to assume that these fit similarly? I also have liked how Easton toe boxes have traditionally been shorter (height wise) than those from most other brands, I hate feeling like my toes are swimming (and add pads to the top of the inside of my Bauer toe caps for this reason), these toe caps look a bit taller though, closer to SE16s/S17s or to more Bauer-like toe caps height wise?

No, it is not a similar fit, and I stated that. Toecaps are very roomy in this boot, not scraping your toenails off like the composite boots.

Rode them out today for the first time - check LTR.

Jr

How long and what temp did you bake them ? How do they differ from other skates in that regard. i was told you could bake them numerous times. Comments on the tendon guard would be appreciated too. Does it form with the bake?

He stated in the LTR that they were baked @ 200 degrees for 4 minutes, which is what Easton recommends. I just picked up a pair of EQ50 skates last week and I will be skating in them for the first time tomorrow night...They are on my feet right now as I watch Bruins-Canadiens game 7.

He stated in the LTR that they were baked @ 200 degrees for 4 minutes, which is what Easton recommends. I just picked up a pair of EQ50 skates last week and I will be skating in them for the first time tomorrow night...They are on my feet right now as I watch Bruins-Canadiens game 7.

Sorry my bad.

How is the stiffness comparable to the total one?

My son skated in his for the first time tonight. Unbaked because they seemed comfortable enough to him. The skates have the RB2' holders and Elite Stainless, sharpened with 100-50 FBV In the hand they do not feel nearly as stiff as my one 95's or his One 100's. There seems to be appreciably more flex across the laces but they are very stiff heel to toe....if that makes sense. They also feel very light.

He skated twice tonight first in a 2 hour practice in his One 100's then for an additional 90 minutes in the EQ50's. I was coaching the second session. When he stepped on the ice I noticed him take look down at them....probably admiring them because they do look very nice. Previously Easton was not an option for him because he did not care for the low profile toe cap. The EQ Toe cap has a very nice shape and is taller than S17 cap. Seems to be a very traditional looking and fitting skate. The Tendon guard is quite high, I was concerned that he would not like that but he said that he actually felt as though it helped him with ankle flex but also seemed to give him a "reminder" to keep his knee over his toe cap......Son of a coach.

He said the skate was very comfortable. No sore spots and no cramping. After 3 hours and 30 minutes you would think he would feel something. He did not.

The only thing I find interesting/odd is that they did not put any non-slip pattern in the heel area of the boot itself, rather the top of the tendon guard has a striped pattern of non-slip.....Kind of strange because who really cares it serves no purpose ther. I guess it will help in removing the skate, fingers wont slip.

The one 100 was very protective....we will see what happens when he takes a shot off the foot. So far all looks good. Can anyone comment on the nano steel?

The grip print is in the heel...it is just not as thick as what is on the tendon guard. It makes sense not to load it up in the heel...just enough for the sock to grip.

Can't comment on NanoGlide; it is a pro-only product.

The grip print is in the heel...it is just not as thick as what is on the tendon guard. It makes sense not to load it up in the heel...just enough for the sock to grip.

Can't comment on NanoGlide; it is a pro-only product.

Yes that is a more accurate description but his skates do not have anything more running down to the heel than a black painted line. You are right if the same grip material was in the boot you may not even be able to get the skate on.

Yes that is a more accurate description but his skates do not have anything more running down to the heel than a black painted line. You are right if the same grip material was in the boot you may not even be able to get the skate on.

Right, but the "paint" is grippy. It is just not a lot.

Can you equate or describe the fit to another skate or skate brand? More volume or less volume?

Boot reminds me a lot of a Mission XP cut.