Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kerr

Using Composite Blades Outside

Edit: Forget the tape, use epoxy.

I play on an outdoor rink. Because of the poor selection of abs blades, I applied UHMW Polyethylene Tape (0.0115" thick) to the bottom of a wood blade to improve to durability. And it worked. The tape last about 1 to 2 hours of play. One problem is the adhesion to the wood blade is not great because of the fiberglass texture. I applied the tape to a composite blade and it held alot better. I didn't use the blade yet but I thinking this is a good solution to extend the life of cheap composite blades. I will post an update when I use the composite blade if anyone is interested.

I brought the tape here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-tape/=bgieyb

good to know. i'm going to give it a shot too. what surface were you on? did you take slap shots? a spray adhesive would keep the tape on better. are you happy with the 0.0115" thickness you chose?

thanks!

I play on smooth concrete the standard outside rink type. I take alot of slap shots. It seems to be the ideal thickness. The tape is rigid and needs low heat (stove top) to form to the blade so the thicker the tape the more rigid. I apply the tape in multiply segments (about 3 pieces) because of the rocker. I also went with 1" width so there's more room for error while applying the tape.

How important is weight to you?

You might want to consider using epoxy on the bottom of the blade... just a layer about 2-3mm thick which would last a while. PM me if you want some details.

How important is weight to you?

You might want to consider using epoxy on the bottom of the blade... just a layer about 2-3mm thick which would last a while. PM me if you want some details.

i remember seeing your post on this. i thought about trying it, but honestly, it seemed like a lot of work and im lazy...

So I took Fatwabbit's advice. And it works great. I first tried marine epoxy with ok results 1-2 plays. Then I tried Loctite Epoxy Adhesive #99393 from McMaster, now I get about 3 plays at an old dusty rink, more at a nicer rink. I also recommend using a Warrior Bandito blade.

So I took Fatwabbit's advice. And it works great. I first tried marine epoxy with ok results 1-2 plays. Then I tried Loctite Epoxy Adhesive #99393 from McMaster, now I get about 3 plays at an old dusty rink, more at a nicer rink. I also recommend using a Warrior Bandito blade.

Kerr, I was wondering what type of surface you play on? I play on painted contrete and use a bandito and tried fatwabbit's advice, but it didn't work out for me. Maybe I need to try the epoxy you used.

Painted concrete. Make sure sandpaper the paint off the bottom of the blade. I didn't sand it as much as I should of, and the epoxy was prone to chipping. Also, the epoxy I mentioned is fiberglass reinforced which may be the key to its success.