Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sikocycles

Down low shoulder pads

Did a search and found nothing.

Here is the site http://www.downlowhockey.com

They look good. A little more protection then the sherwoods that I wear now.

Anyone have any experience with these. They are a little pricey but they look like they would be comfy

I like the look of these (not the price!) . I bought Farrells for similar reasons-the mobility, the customization etc- but found I was lacking in stomach protection and these look the same

I agree.. the padding ends right under the sternum. Pads should, IMO, drop to the navel.

Given how high my girdle (X:60) rides, I don't think stomach protection would be the issue. But the price tag... ouch. Especially for not being able to try them on first.

Given how high my girdle (X:60) rides, I don't think stomach protection would be the issue. But the price tag... ouch. Especially for not being able to try them on first.

I'm just so used to my shoulder pads dropping down there I feel weird without it. By the way - tried the X-60 and it's not for bigger guys like me!! Great looking pad and an awesome concept but for us wide loads (230lbs) it's a no go!!

These are interesting...I kinda like em. I use a x40 shoulder pad now because it's nice and low profile. I agree that the price is a little high.

I am constantly in search of low profile pads I like. I've worn or tried on just about everything. Maybe I'll look a the x40 now...

this looks more like a shoulder pad shirt to me. kind of like those Mission shirts but with a little more protection. I'd rather see a pair of actual pads that looked like this for less money. I spent years searching for a pair of low profile shoulder pads that I liked. I finally got some CCM Dryland 250's off of Ebay that are exceptional. low profile and exceptionally breathable.

I wish the equipment companies would realize that there's a market for low profile, breathable pads for those of us who play non-check hockey but still want some protection.

I was bidding on ebay, I didn't win I forgot to check again before bed. They look interesting but I agree on the high cost. Especially from an unknown company.

I guess I will order up a set. There is a 14 day return policy for a full refund.

Will post up pictures when I get them.

Edit: I just ordered a set. I will post pictures once they come in and show fit and finish.

Received my shoulder pads yesterday. Being 6'5" 230 the XL fits great.

I am very impressed with the mobility and fit. The build quality is great. WIll see how it stands up to repeated washes.

Will use them first time sunday.

Will take pictures and post them up tomorrow.

Chris

Great, Chris - thank you! I'm especially curious to see them on, maybe even with pants so we can see how much abdomen is unguarded... if you're in the mood to model.

Received my shoulder pads yesterday. Being 6'5" 230 the XL fits great.

I am very impressed with the mobility and fit. The build quality is great. WIll see how it stands up to repeated washes.

Will use them first time sunday.

Will take pictures and post them up tomorrow.

Chris

Thanks. Sounds promising!!

Great, Chris - thank you! I'm especially curious to see them on, maybe even with pants so we can see how much abdomen is unguarded... if you're in the mood to model.

Great idea.

The guy reached out to me on Facebook a couple months back. It's an interesting concept. I figured it was a matter of time til the discussion ended up here.

Ok will do that tomorrow.

Didn't think much of it at first but reading through the website it's interesting. I'd try a pair if they were half as much money but would have to spray paint those plastic pads black to avoid getting ripped on constantly.

Didn't think much of it at first but reading through the website it's interesting. I'd try a pair if they were half as much money but would have to spray paint those plastic pads black to avoid getting ripped on constantly.

Gonna take a ribbing regardless. I can hear the Star Trek Stormtrooper cracks already.

Mine showed up yesterday and I wore them last night. Very lightweight and comfortable. Played around a little trying to figure out where I liked the caps positioned, which is still a work in progress. They're definitely low profile. I am 5'10, 190 and went with the large and the pads fit fine. I would bet I probably could have went with the mediums as the material is stretchy and these are slightly loose.

I played in a rather chippy game for a non-checking league and did not come out the worse for wear while wearing these. It was one of those playoff games where the underdog won and the better team started playing like a-holes as time wound down. (I was on the underdogs.) As for coverage, I actually removed the lowest of the three spine protectors as it was inside my pants and redundant. The other padding in the back is long enough that it tucks down into my pants so there's no gap at all, even when I bend over. Coverage with the padding in the front comes down about an inch and half below my rib cage, which is lower than my Jofa shoulders. The padding isn't as dense as the Jofas though. But for a non-checking league, I'm not too worried about it. The padding on the arms has plastic inserts. The padding on the torso does not.

Basically, it feels like you're wearing a shirt.

Downside was the price. But I've been looking for something like this for a while and I think these are going to stick. I also was thinking that it would be pretty simple to change the caps if I wanted something different.

I would buy these in a heartbeat if they were half the price. I just went from Shew Wood classics to Reebok 8k. I had a messed up shoulder to begin with and the SW Classics didn't help it enough when I would get hit. The 8k's seemed like the most mobile higher end shoulder pads but they feel slightly bulky. I wish these Down Low pads were cheaper.

Nice work! Thanks! It does look like you have a bit of a soft spot on the abdomen, at least with those pants. I think my X:60 girdle comes up a bit higher there, but would probably still be a bad spot to catch a puck.

They look pretty good. Decent coverage, I think my 6K shoulders leave about that much in the belly area. I would say the only lacking bit is some rap on the ribs/side area. But I don't know how much coverage that area needs.

If they ever go on sale I might give them a go.

How do they recommend washing it?