Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

number21

One Night NHL call-up

That has to be one of the coolest experiences ever. They interviewed him during the second intermission on MSG's broadcast. I think he said they didn't even finish the haircut the way he wanted or something like that. Wonder whose pads he used, I think they were similar to LaBarbera's, don't think they were Bryzgalov's.

Always an interesting story when this happens. I think the last one was a Canadian college goalie backing up in Edmonton a couple of years ago. Then there are always stories about a team employee suiting up in the AHL or one of the other minor leagues because of roster issues.

yeah it happened to the caps. dude was a web developer for the team or something who sometimes hit the ice in goalie gear for fun. played goal in college.

p.s., the article mentions contract value. they usually dont get paid.

yeah it happened to the caps. dude was a web developer for the team or something who sometimes hit the ice in goalie gear for fun. played goal in college.

p.s., the article mentions contract value. they usually dont get paid.

In the vancouver case, he needed to retain amateur eligibility. I don't think that was a concern in this case.

There was also the incident a year or two ago when Garth Snow put on leg pads just in case their backup got hurt in the Isles game.

The minor team (CHL) in town's assistant GM had to suit up as backup goalie years ago. Man that was brutal, even just for the warmup. One of our league goalies also holds the record as the oldest pro rookie goalie when he had to suit up for the team.

12-16-10-thomas-fenton.jpg?w=271&h=340

fenton1216210_325.jpg

He was on an amateur tryout contract. From the pix, it looks like he used his own gear but a player told him to ditch his yellow stick and grab one w/ the Yotes colors. He got to keep the jersey and hopefully a few sticks and some other swag.

BTW, a goalie in our beer league works for an ECHL team in the training dept and has sutied up more than a few times as the back up for his team as well as a few other teams close by. I think he's even seen some game time.

if Cedrick Desjardins wasn't as readily available last night one of my closest friends would have been backing up Ellis. :( Stupid Desjardins.

if Cedrick Desjardins wasn't as readily available last night one of my closest friends would have been backing up Ellis. :( Stupid Desjardins.

He helped my Cincy Cyclones win the Kelly Cup. It was great to watch him get the win in his NHL debut. If it wasn't for his own player kicking the puck in, he would've had a shutout. Normally I don't root for the Lightning, but this was a good game to watch.

12-16-10-thomas-fenton.jpg?w=271&h=340

fenton1216210_325.jpg

He was on an amateur tryout contract. From the pix, it looks like he used his own gear but a player told him to ditch his yellow stick and grab one w/ the Yotes colors. He got to keep the jersey and hopefully a few sticks and some other swag.

BTW, a goalie in our beer league works for an ECHL team in the training dept and has sutied up more than a few times as the back up for his team as well as a few other teams close by. I think he's even seen some game time.

Is his name Dennis? They talked about this situation on HNIC Radio. I guess the Vancouver college goalie, IIRC the backup or maybe even the 3rd goalie was the only guy to stay behind for winter break because he was trying to finish his degree. Something happened with the backup Vancouver goalie and they gave the guy a call. He thought it was his friends trying to mess with him but he was the backup goalie for a game. As much as that would be a dream come true, I would be petrified if I had to hit the ice against NHLers. I've played against ECHLers before and they were so much stronger on their skates I couldn't do anything to them even if I wanted to.