Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VakarLajos

Nitinol blades

45886_1547678767840_1111193417_31661987_8035201_n.jpg

Pic of a pair of my nitinol runners. If you've got any info on buying them you can contact the seller on here, member name: Triumpsport or contact

susan@triumphsport.com

As far as an analysis of the performance:

Pros:

Slightly lighter than stock LS2 steel. Edges hold for a LONG time. Around November-December I skated 3-4 times a week and didn't need a sharpening for about 6 weeks. Have not seen once pair of them (1/2 dozen so far that I service) that has any bit of warp or bending. Are available for LS2, Graf, CCM/Reebok E-Pro. Not positive on Easton and LS2.1 but I'll try and find out.

Cons:

They are difficult to sharpen so you need somebody who is trained to do it. However, the product is being refined and the latest ones have been heat treated and are easier to sharpen without any compromise to the performance or strength. Also, there's a new wheel that I have yet to try that is cutting the time of the sharpening down.

Cost. Right now they are not mass produced so they are more expensive than other runners. $250/pair.

I notice the differences in my edges. If you're somebody who drops $250 on a stick every 3 months then without a doubt.

It doesn't turn me into Bobby Orr, but it helps me skate better.

I notice the differences in my edges. If you're somebody who drops $250 on a stick every 3 months then without a doubt.

It doesn't turn me into Bobby Orr, but it helps me skate better.

In what way?

I remember playing with Nitonol in a chem lab. It's weird alloy, it returns to it's original shape after being bent to all heck. I wonder if you could "sharpen" your skates by poring hot water on the blades. That might make them actually worth it. It probably doesn't work with blades being so thick.

Aren't those the runners that Easton was going to put on either the S17's or EQ5's until they realized that nobody would want to sharpen them?

If I may ask, what exactly is the sharpening issue? Just a matter of keeping the heat down? Hardness? I only have to do 3 pairs per week, so it's not like time is a factor for me. Could I do it with a ruby wheel on an X01 if I went slow?

The wheels that work the best with them are cubitron, (forget the grit and I'm not at the shop). Most wheels will heat the metal up quickly and ruin the blade. The molecules are very small and they clog the wheel fast. So you also need to redress after 6-8 passes. Right now, I don't believe there is a wheel that is available for the x01 that would work although JR suspects the Orange Crush might be possible. The company has worked with Blackstone so I would imagine they are working towards something, but not positive. Hopefully I'll be speaking with them soon.

After reading this it sounds like these would only be practical if you sharpen your own skates. When some HS kid gets them and doesnt care i doubt they will be sharpened well since you guys say they are hard to sharpen

Is nitinol reasonably magnetic, so you can use it with magnetic edge checkers?

No not magnetic at all. BTW, edge checkers work fine on it.

IIRC Marchand was a happy accident as the blades were originally supposed to go to Savard, but he wasn't skating.

Yea, Marchand used them from camp on.

No not magnetic at all. BTW, edge checkers work fine on it.

I should have been more clear, I wasn't wondering if it was a permanent magnet itself, I was just wondering if magnets would stick to it (paramagnetic maybe would have been the right term? It's been a long time since I took physics). Some metals are not really affected by magnetic fields, like copper and aluminium, which would make magnetic edge checkers useless on them.