Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
number21

Bauer 5100

I have been using this helmet for over a year.

Fit

Went down a size (M to S) in the 5100 coming from a Bauer 5000 or Itech H95. The fit was tight in the temples at first, I would end up getting head aches by the end of the first period. After about 2 months or so it broke in and got more comfortable. I did also put in some shorter screw posts for the cage hooks which helped. The foam is still soft and in good condition. The M in the 5100 just felt sloppy (loose) on the top/back of my head. Small put all the padding in contact with my head and felt secure. 8/10

Protection

It seems pretty good to me. that being said, I play low level adult league, so I am not seeing checks or anything. I did get tangled-up with a guy going into the corner from about the top of the circle and we went sliding into the boards. I couldn't move anything and ended up taking much of the force on the top left side of the helmet. It didn't feel good, but I wasn't seeing starts either. 10/10

Weight

It's lighter than my previous helmets. Though the weight isn't something I have thought about, so I guess that is light enough. 8/10

Ventilation

It's better than the 5000 and the Itech. The honeycomb foam (Hx-Sorb foam) seems to allow a bit more airflow than the regular VN in the Itech and the EPP in the 5000. 8/10

Durability

Over a year and I haven't had any problems. I kind of assumed the adjustment clips would break easily, but honestly I haven't had to adjust it too often and they seem fine. 10/10

Intangibles

At first look, I thought the padding looked a little too minimal, but the open space in the top of the helmet probably helps the air flow. It sits a little lower on the head than the 5000 and seems less bulky than my Itech. The helmet was a little narrow for my Itech Fantom cage,but over time it seems to have stretched enough that everything fits.

Conclusion

I would buy this helmet again. It's light enough, has decent ventilation and a good price. Overall, 9/10, I'm very happy with the 5100.

Edited by number21

After taking some hard hits that ended up ringing my ears in an Itech H95, I decided to give this helmet a try because it appeared functional, stylish, and extremely protective.

Price Paid: $64.95+ Shipping, Hockey Giant

Fit

I previously wore a H95 in size Large. I am currently in a Large with this helmet as well. This helmet sits a bit lower than the H95 did, however the fit is not for everyone. I have just a small amount of head being uncomfortably pushed on, but a skull cap fixes that issue. The pressure from the helmet located at on top of my head, and front to back, it is at about the ear on both the left and right sides. 8.5/10

Protection

The protection in this helmet is fantastic. It is considered a Tri-Density helmet. It has soft VN for comfort, medium VN for protection, and Bauer's HX-Sorb VN for impact absorption. My first ice time with this helmet, I tripped myself up on a crossover and went temple-first into the boards. I got up and had no ill effects. I finished my shift and when I came to the bench, I saw a few scratches on the side of the helmet that hit the boards. This helmet is truly doing its job of protecting the user. 10/10

Weight

This helmet feels lighter than my H95, and is most noticable when the RBE VIII cage is attached. Weight is not as light as say the S19 or 9500/9900, but for playing in a HS league, works extremely well. 9.5/10

Ventilation

The ventilation in this helmet is great compared to my Itech, however one major gripe here. I tend to sweat a lot, and even though it vents well, large amounts of sweat still end up in my eyes. 7/10

Durability

This helmet has held up well, and has no defects through 8 months of solid use. I skate once or twice a week from March-November and 5-7 times a week December-February. 10/10

Intangibles

This helmet has survived 3 head-first hits into the boards and is still going strong. This helmet is the best of both worlds. Although you do not have the occupital lock that the 9500/9900 has, it shares the shell and style of the higher-level helmet. This helmet really seems to accept cages well, and even though I have a L helmet, I wear a S cage and it fits perfectly. 9/10

Conclusion

This helmet is a helmet that provides excellent medium-high level protection and creates a feeling of safety every single time I strap the helmet to my head. I would recommend this helmet to anyone mostly due to the price-point and styling. This helmet easily defeats the other helmets in its price range, and I have even played in net with this helmet. Was it better than the goal mask the rink had to borrow? Yes. This helmet should really make you feel safe every time you strap it on. Total Score: 54/60, or 9/10 overall.