Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theflash0000

Good Method for Blacking Out Logos

Hey all, just wanted to share a method I used to blackout the embroidered logos on my gloves. I'm very happy with the results.

Here's the unaltered glove, RBK Pro Stock with Shark's colors on the logo. I decided I didn't like the teal/orange and went for the blackout.

20100812184819996.th.jpg

I used this product (link), which I bought at A.C. Moore. Its a spray fabric paint that is permanent and opaque (unlike dyes which are transparent). I figured this would give me the best chance of success with the darker parts of the logo. I tested it on some scrap fabrics I had first and liked the results.

First step was to mask off the logo with masking tape and an Exacto knife:

20100812190156671.th.jpg

Then I applied the first coat of the spray fabric paint. Initially, I sprayed the paint directly on the logo, but the spray was pretty unwieldy and it also came out too thick. So I sprayed it into a paper towel and then dabbed the black paint onto the embroidery. I waited an hour and applied a second coat, then let it dry overnight. I removed the masking tape and here's what I got:

20100813074430429.th.jpg

20100813074513351.th.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. The paint not hard/crusty and appears to be well-bonded to the embroidery thread. It does not come off when rubbed with a paper towel. The product instructions say to wait 72 hours before washing (which I'm not going to do), so I'll wait until then to really test it. I also used the same method on the "Reebok" logo on the thumb, and it worked just as well.

Hope this helps anyone else out there who would like to blackout their gloves!

I'd be curious to see how it stands up once it gets wet and starts to rub against any other gloves/sticks or other players. Looks clean though

I'd be curious to see how it stands up once it gets wet and starts to rub against any other gloves/sticks or other players. Looks clean though

Thanks. Yeah, I've got the same concern. I'm thinking about trying to heat set it by covering with cloth or wax paper and ironing it. I'm thinking that could help bond it to the embroidery thread.

That looks good man. Makes the glove look just that much better. How about different colors? Red or Orange? Hmmm...I am going to have to try this out!

That looks good man. Makes the glove look just that much better. How about different colors? Red or Orange? Hmmm...I am going to have to try this out!

They make the product in a variety of colors. Should work just as well since its opaque. The only thing I would be worried about is if you are going to use different colors than the color of the surrounding parts (like the nylon on the cuff) then you better do a really good masking job!

They make the product in a variety of colors. Should work just as well since its opaque. The only thing I would be worried about is if you are going to use different colors than the color of the surrounding parts (like the nylon on the cuff) then you better do a really good masking job!

That's what I was thinking too. I would like to "red-out" my Bauer 4 Roll logo but don't want to have red everywhere on the glove. I wonder if they make paint pens like that so I can mask it off yet still have the quality of the spray.