Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True North

Stropping - Leather honing technique

So I bought my kid a nice new pair of skates and went to skate sharpening guru in our area to get a custom profile on his skates. It's a small shop that probably does about 80-90% of it's revenue on skate repairs/sharpening/profiling etc...., it's fairly well known in our area

I pick up the skates and the owner is explaining that he gets a a really nice finish on his edges because he hand rubs/polishes the blades with leather... I tested his sharpening on my HDI when I got home and he did do a great job balancing the edges to within a 1/2 of 1/1000"

I immediately thought of the old school barbers who sharpen their shavers on a leather strip. Based on the quick discussion I had with the owner I did a little research and came across the technique of "Stropping"

I came across the following article;

http://zknives.com/knives/sharpening/lstrops.shtml

I also came across this you tube link;

I know sharpening a skate is not the same as sharpening a knife but I was wondering if anyone out there had heard of this technique (Stropping) being used on skates after they are sharpened by machine. I was thinking of trying it out in conjunction with my X02

Concept of stropping works on a knife or razor because you're refining the edge on both sides. With a skate, you'd only be stropping the outside edge. Sounds like it only has the ability to make things worse IMO.

to me, it seems getting the edge razor sharp wouldn't benefit the skater. i'm guessing the ultra refinement of the edge would get worn away pretty quick too, probably before the first period is over. i'm thinking the law of diminishing returns applies here. but this is just my speculation.

to me, it seems getting the edge razor sharp wouldn't benefit the skater. i'm guessing the ultra refinement of the edge would get worn away pretty quick too, probably before the first period is over. i'm thinking the law of diminishing returns applies here. but this is just my speculation.

Well isn't that the same one does with a honing stone? I mean I feel after using the stone within a days practice I have to use it again

Well isn't that the same one does with a honing stone? I mean I feel after using the stone within a days practice I have to use it again

This is where I was unclear. I am not sure if he uses the leather like a honing stone (i.e. along the sides of the blades) or if he actually rubbed the edges with the leather or some other technique.

So I bought my kid a nice new pair of skates and went to skate sharpening guru in our area to get a custom profile on his skates. It's a small shop that probably does about 80-90% of it's revenue on skate repairs/sharpening/profiling etc...., it's fairly well known in our area

I pick up the skates and the owner is explaining that he gets a a really nice finish on his edges because he hand rubs/polishes the blades with leather... I tested his sharpening on my HDI when I got home and he did do a great job balancing the edges to within a 1/2 of 1/1000"

I immediately thought of the old school barbers who sharpen their shavers on a leather strip. Based on the quick discussion I had with the owner I did a little research and came across the technique of "Stropping"

I came across the following article;

http://zknives.com/knives/sharpening/lstrops.shtml

I also came across this you tube link;

I know sharpening a skate is not the same as sharpening a knife but I was wondering if anyone out there had heard of this technique (Stropping) being used on skates after they are sharpened by machine. I was thinking of trying it out in conjunction with my X02

Due to the fact I no longer work for a Max Edge Dealer I wouldn't be at liberty to discuss the exact way it is done but I can assure you it isn't the same as the video and is in no way detrimental to the sharpening process only beneficial. The Detroit trainer uses this method as well does the Carolina trainer and last time I checked they both have one a Cup.....lol

a honing stone isn't as "fine" as using leather

Due to the fact I no longer work for a Max Edge Dealer I wouldn't be at liberty to discuss the exact way it is done but I can assure you it isn't the same as the video and is in no way detrimental to the sharpening process only beneficial. The Detroit trainer uses this method as well does the Carolina trainer and last time I checked they both have one a Cup.....lol

So what your telling me is that if I can manage to get this leather technique down my kid get has a better chance of going to the show and winning the cup!!

Maybe you could give us a few more clues on how it is NOT used ;)

Yeah, it doesn't hurt the blade.

I have a M-E leather block. Haven't used it in ages.

I am assuming this is what they must use. How are you supposed to use it? Did someone train you on how to use it?

I saw on their website that they have kits for trainers etc....Do you get these from the website or did you get yours from a retail location. I didn't notice if any of the items that they have on their website were in sale in their store.

Hone it as fine as you want but the benefit of that fine honing isn't going to last long enough to walk from the locker room to the ice.

So what your telling me is that if I can manage to get this leather technique down my kid get has a better chance of going to the show and winning the cup!!

Maybe you could give us a few more clues on how it is NOT used ;)

I am assuming this is what they must use. How are you supposed to use it? Did someone train you on how to use it?

I saw on their website that they have kits for trainers etc....Do you get these from the website or did you get yours from a retail location. I didn't notice if any of the items that they have on their website were in sale in their store.

Most of their products are only available to ME certified sharpeners. A $1,500 privelege.

I came across this video which is pretty much how I envisioned using the leather

Any comments on this?

BTW - does anyone here know how to embed a youtube video within my post. I see a "Insert:YouTube" button to the left of where I enter the message but when I click it doesen't do anything

I came across this video which is pretty much how I envisioned using the leather

Any comments on this?

BTW - does anyone here know how to embed a youtube video within my post. I see a "Insert:YouTube" button to the left of where I enter the message but when I click it doesen't do anything

Yes that would be the idea...personally I do it a little differently and add something to it but the basic idea.

And Marco in the video can sharpen skates very well!

So as for the comment about getting in the Show......well there you have it....LOL

It brings up a box to input the youtube link for me. What browser are you using?

use this:

[youtube ]the 11 digit number/symbol after the "=" sign of the video url[/youtube ]

(remove the spaces between the "e" and the "]" in both "youtube" codes for it to work)

see this post as a reference

I went to Lee Valley today, a small Canadian retail chain that sells woodworking tools, and purchased the following items;

1) Hand Strop and Compound Set

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx...amp;cat=1,43072

here is more information on the compound included in the above set

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx...amp;cat=1,43072

2) Leather Strop Pack of 6

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx...072&p=33000

I tried the newly purchased items out today and WOW what a difference it makes. I applied the compund to the Hand Strop (leather atteched to wood) and rubbed the skate edges front to back on the hand strop which I laid flat on my work surface. I would rub my finger tips along the edges of the blade and where ever I felt slightly rough edges, I reapplied that portion of the edge to the hand strop. I then finished everything off with a small peice of leather, hand rubbed along the bottom of the blade without the compound applied. The results were perfect feeling edges, no ruts or rough portions, the edges were perfectly smooth. There was a perfect mirror finish on the bottom of the blade as well. The skates look and feel perfect to the touch!

My kid will skate on them tomorrow and that will complete the final part of the test. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I really think I have stumbled across a process that is going to work for me.