Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shawn o

Hockey stick rack solutions?

Having our 1st and last baby here soon (November) and making some changes at home in preperation. Been keep my hockey sticks on my office (future babies room). Wife says no to keeping them in our loft area so....

Any nice solutions to hanging several sticks for storage (have about 30 or so).

I'm in the middle of finishing off our garage right now so a wall mounted solution would be best and what I'm looking for. Otherwise I'll find a big metal drum I guess!

I saw this one:

http://hockeystickrack.com/index.php/Home/Index

Any others metal or wood? DIY is a bonus.

I have some broom holders similar to these around the house and my sticks fit perfectly. They're cheap and i think you can get them at home depot and other places like that.

broom holders

I went to the Fred Meyer by my place and found these shelf frames (they are the right triangle metal frames that look like a number 4). Anyway they were pretty inexpensive. I decided to buy two of them and drill them into the wall above my closet. It actually works great. I put the sticks that I am storing(collecting is a better word choice) inside the frame, and I put the sticks that I currently use on top for easy access (at the moment my fishing rods are there and the "in use" sticks are against the wall next to my door. The only problem with the way I set it up is that they are too high up. Getting the sticks that are towards the back is a little tricky without climbing onto a chair. I have 18 sticks in the frame and it is holding up great. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Stick Rack

when you your finishing your garage do you mean with insulation and drywall? if not you could use the stud bays to put the sticks in. just add a small shelf and you good to go. i did this after totally redoing my garage. it works great, though i had to cut the nails from the siding that were poking through. even built a lower shelf to put my blades on. will get pics up later.

when you your finishing your garage do you mean with insulation and drywall? if not you could use the stud bays to put the sticks in. just add a small shelf and you good to go. i did this after totally redoing my garage. it works great, though i had to cut the nails from the siding that were poking through. even built a lower shelf to put my blades on. will get pics up later.

was going to recommend this as well. just put a 2x4 between 2 of the studs (to rest the butt ends on) and then another 2x4 across the 2 studs about 4 feet up. slide the sticks down behind the higher 2x4 and rest em on the bottom one. They'll be out of the way, it'll cost you about 2 bucks, and you can make it look fairly neat.

Ya, it was already insulated but I drywalled and painted everything already. Got some new Craftman cabinets and stuff to match my toolbox what not.

Waiting on that stick rack site to get back to me with dimensions (not listed anywhere on their site....duh). Might try one of those or just have to hit up Home Depot or Lowes and see if I can find something creative to work.

I have a couple Rubbermaid Fastrack units. Too back they don't make a small broom attachment like pictured above. Maybe I can combine something like that to work. But I'd probably be in for more than a premade rack doing it that way.

Maybe make something out of wood like you see in stores but I could mount it on the wall.

I just use a team-stick-bag with rolls...it stands up against the wall and holds all of my sticks...about 25...

Edit: after reading the whole thread, I had to go deeper in translation...my storage solution is not really a rack....sorry, didn't want to be super-smart....

That would be sweet, thanks. I was those at Home Depot but didn't even consider them for sticks. I'd of thought the sticks would rotate off if bumped and fall out, especially the end one.

I bought one of those wood wall coat racks that you screw up. It is the one with many holes and you stick the pegs in where you want them. I think it was only a couple dollars.... I will look for a picture...

I used to have a surf rack in the garage mounted to the wall when I was a kid. I was able to put a ton of sticks on it. Funny because I kept the surfboards in my room.

Something like this.

on_rail_wr.jpg

I went to the Fred Meyer by my place and found these shelf frames (they are the right triangle metal frames that look like a number 4). Anyway they were pretty inexpensive. I decided to buy two of them and drill them into the wall above my closet. It actually works great. I put the sticks that I am storing(collecting is a better word choice) inside the frame, and I put the sticks that I currently use on top for easy access (at the moment my fishing rods are there and the "in use" sticks are against the wall next to my door. The only problem with the way I set it up is that they are too high up. Getting the sticks that are towards the back is a little tricky without climbing onto a chair. I have 18 sticks in the frame and it is holding up great. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Stick Rack

I did something similar but I took one of these and bent the ends so the sticks wouldn't fall off the rack. I have all the extras I don't use often in the setup and it's stacked 7 in a row and 3 rows high.

Eventually I will just build a basic wooden rack but that will happen when it happens.

That would be sweet, thanks. I was those at Home Depot but didn't even consider them for sticks. I'd of thought the sticks would rotate off if bumped and fall out, especially the end one.

I initially thought the same exact thing. But, because they have a rubber texture to them, they hold the sticks extremely well. Oh, and I was mistaken earlier. They each hold 12 sticks. I didn't get any pics today, but I'll take some tomorrow for you to check out.

Here is one of the stick racks I have in my equipment room. It is just 2 2x4's with some pegs on it. It can hold six sticks deep. I use it for shafts so I can stack them high, but it works great for one-piece sticks too.

stickrack.jpg

Here is one of the stick racks I have in my equipment room. It is just 2 2x4's with some pegs on it. It can hold six sticks deep. I use it for shafts so I can stack them high, but it works great for one-piece sticks too.

stickrack.jpg

Simple, but easy. In my opinion the best option for storage of extra sticks. I made mine with the metal shelf holders.

My cheap solution was to nail a milk crate to the wall, then screw a piece of wood on the wall about 5 feet higher to support the shafts from falling over.

Depending on how high your garage ceiling is, why not make one that hangs from the ceiling? Easy and doesn't take up any garage space.

Can you just screw that hook into the wall as a stand-alone or do you need the FastTrack railing?

According to the link, yes, you can mount them directly to the wall without the railing. They have a hole in the top and bottom of the bracket, so you could screw them right into a wood stud. If you can't find a stud in the area you want to mount them, make sure you use some heavy duty drywall anchors, as the weight of 12 sticks will probably pull them out of the drywall if you just use regular screws.

Thanks for the pics, what are those hooks holding your skates. Are they Rubbermaid as well? I was at Home Depot and Lowes yesterday and didn't see em.

Thanks for the pics, what are those hooks holding your skates. Are they Rubbermaid as well? I was at Home Depot and Lowes yesterday and didn't see em.

I think all his hooks. etc are part of the Rubbermaid FastTrack system.

I think all his hooks. etc are part of the Rubbermaid FastTrack system.

Actually, the hooks holding my skates are ClosetMaid. I couldn't find anything in the FastTrack system that worked for what I wanted to do. However, because the shelf brackets are standard style, I looked through what ClosetMaid offered for their garage storage system and found those.

They are made to be attached directly to the wall, but come with a bracket for attaching them to he slotted shelf track. The only thing I dislike about them is that they don't "snap" into the system. They simply slide into the slots in the track, and the little teeth on the back are grooved so they don't fall out. But, if you knock them upwards, they can fall off. They've never fallen off with my skates on, but I have bumped into them without my skates and knocked them down.

Here is a link:

http://www.closetmaid.com/Look/Product_Cat...product_id=2099

They also have a shorter hook, but I wanted to keep my skates away from the wall.