Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sav25

My Hockey career is over

So that's it - I think tonight might have been my last training session, at least for a long time.

I started getting lace bite out of nowhere a few weeks back - tried different things to shift it but nothing has worked.

Next step is the doctors to see if it is my tendons or something else.

Any advice / experience / thoughts would be cool

What a shit day

:(

Wow, i never thought lace bite could end a career. I unfortunately have no advice to offer but there must be something to do about that. Don't give up bro!

Not to go too far off topic, evidently we send a lot of traffic to the Bunga website. They mentioned it to us at the show.

I had lace bite so bad last year that I had to stop playing as well. I tried lots of different pads including the Bunga, if it is really bad, I don't think Bunga's are the answer.

The doctor 1st gave me anti-inflamatory cream, then he wanted to put my foot in a walking cast with the possibility of surgery on the tendon (I had to bring in a internet article about lace bite, since he had never heard of it).

While I took time off, I had my LHS install thick Graf G7 tounges in my One95's, no problem since the 1st skate.

So I would take a little time, let it heal a bit and try installing new thick, felt tounges before you give up hockey, were talking about Hockey dude, you can't quit that!

So I would take a little time, let it heal a bit and try installing new thick, felt tounges before you give up hockey, were talking about Hockey dude, you can't quit that!

Felt tongues contribute to lace bite once they break down. I've seen them cause more problems than they solve.

dude i was in your boots :P for a while myself and trust me get youself some lace bite bunga pads! it took a good year of using bunga pads for my lace bite to heal but even now i use them anyways cause they make my skates feel that much better. if i were you i was rest for a few weeks and buy yourself a pair of bunga pad

Not to go too far off topic, evidently we send a lot of traffic to the Bunga website. They mentioned it to us at the show.

Perhaps we need to work out a deal with them. 5% from all sales where the buyers came from ModSquad? :P

Line your and JR's pockets, or at least cover some of the server costs.

3 things I tried that helped

1) Get new skates. I went from Mission AGX to NB One95's.

2) Take time off.

3) After I had about 6 months off or in the One95's I wanted to go back to the Mission's and I used some cheap sponges. I cut them to fit right and just put them in the skate where the tongue was affecting my tendon. It helped, but would still get sore, so I now go back and forth between the two skates. Buying new skates was expensive, but the sponge was a cheap fix.

Perhaps we need to work out a deal with them. 5% from all sales where the buyers came from ModSquad? :P

Line your and JR's pockets, or at least cover some of the server costs.

Actually, I discussed a product idea that I have with him.

Anyone wanna sell and ship me some Bungas, or know a store that will send to the UK? Cant get them over here I dont think.

I think i'll take a few weeks off then start again with the bungas added

When I was having horrible lace bite I used a piece of pipe insulation that I got at a home improvement store. It's kinda soft and rubbery and very cushy. I would tear off a piece & slip it under my sock over the sore spot. Worked 1000 x times better than the bungas for me.

I traced my lace bite down to my skates being too wide in the heel. I was having to crank down on the laces to take up the slop which caused the lace bite. How's yours fit?

I started getting lace bite at one point, and as strange as it may seem, I got rid of it by lacing my skates out-to-in instead of the usual in-to-out. And I've read about 2 other people who solved it that way. It's worth a try and won't cost a cent.

I think people would save a LOT of $$$ and effort if they bought skates that fit them properly. How much of bad lace bite is attributed to a poor fitting skate?

One of the guys on my team cut up a mouse pad and put it between his sock and tongue of the skate and he hasn't had a problem since.

+1. Try some different foams and rubber materials and see if they don't help relieve the pressure.

I think people would save a LOT of $$$ and effort if they bought skates that fit them properly. How much of bad lace bite is attributed to a poor fitting skate?

I tend to agree... I never had a problem with lace bite until the tongue was either wearing down or the laces get too worn. All my instances were brought on by something breaking down in need of adjustment.

But in the mean time, I made changes and wore either a cut to fit shoe insole(you know like dr sholes or even some gel pads) or sticky pads like in helmets cuit to fit.

heck if it was bad, I would even tie up one eyelet to change the pressure point just to get by...

I started getting lace bite at one point, and as strange as it may seem, I got rid of it by lacing my skates out-to-in instead of the usual in-to-out. And I've read about 2 other people who solved it that way. It's worth a try and won't cost a cent.

Just to elaborate on my previous post, I took a picture to illustrate why I think out-to-in lacing solves lace bite for some people. On the left skate with in-to-out lacing, when you lean over the top row of laces you basically press against a straight bar that digs into a small point on the front of the tongue. On the right skate with out-to-in lacing, the top row wraps around the tongue distributing the pressure more evenly across the tongue.

lacing.jpg

Anyone wanna sell and ship me some Bungas, or know a store that will send to the UK? Cant get them over here I dont think.

I think i'll take a few weeks off then start again with the bungas added

I called in at Puck Stop a couple of weeks ago, i was only grabbing a magazine, so dunno if they stock them, but saw that they had a leaflet for Bunga products on the desk. Might be worth giving them a ring and seeing if they do have them in stock.

- Just had a look on the website and can't see it, but its worth a shot ringing them:

Puck Stop - 0114 2441414

Just to elaborate on my previous post, I took a picture to illustrate why I think out-to-in lacing solves lace bite for some people. On the left skate with in-to-out lacing, when you lean over the top row of laces you basically press against a straight bar that digs into a small point on the front of the tongue. On the right skate with out-to-in lacing, the top row wraps around the tongue distributing the pressure more evenly across the tongue.

lacing.jpg

post a pic of your whole skate laced out to in

I used ladies heel liners and it solved the problem perfectly. The are an adhesive backed foam pad that is supposed to go in the heel of women's shoes to relieve pressure. The adhesive is nice and strong and has help up for a couple of months of being on the ice 7-9 times a week.