Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citixen

My 2 One95 Pro Stock Sticks have different weaves?

So I purchased two One95 pro stock sticks from the Canucks sale, one Sedin and one Ohlund. I noticed they have different weave patterns though the shafts what's up with this, any ideas?

EDIT: Picture #3 - Odd thing is they both have the same blade (small weave). Could the Sedin be a X:60 shaft with One95 blade?

one95a.jpg

one95b.jpg

photohx.jpg

Ah man, i just thought about this now, but I ordered two one95 from TSR and one was small checkerboard and the other bigger, I hope they're not sending me a vapor xxxx (hopefully a x60!!!!) :)

Those numbers/letters on the NameBar will tell you everything you need to know about the stick.

There is a fella on here from Bauer who will be able to know the EXACT story about each one of those sticks.

Those numbers/letters on the NameBar will tell you everything you need to know about the stick.

There is a fella on here from Bauer who will be able to know the EXACT story about each one of those sticks.

Interesting, does he visit these boards often?

TBL - I think that is correct.

UCLA - 12k is that larger weave. (like you'll find on Vapor XXVs and XXXXs)

Brian, not sure how much of this you would know, but does the weave affect the feel of the stick, it would seem to me that it would, right?

Some of the old pro stock One90s had that weave as well. And if you look at pro stock XXXXs, many had the small weave on the blades as opposed to the bigger 12k weave like the retail versions had.

Many people on Ebay are selling pro stock One95s claiming that the 12k (larger) weave means its a repainted X60. While it may be true for some, I'd imagine they're passing them off as the wrong sticks.

Brian, not sure how much of this you would know, but does the weave affect the feel of the stick, it would seem to me that it would, right?

I can't speak for hockey sticks, but in most other molded carbon fiber manufacturing, the top weave is/can be a cosmetic layer (in this case for model differentiation.)

Or, even if it were a functional layer, the small differences between 12k and 3k (# of filaments per tow) is very unlikely to produce any tactile changes. Almost all of the feel should be coming from the epoxy type, # and direction of layers, and core material stiffness. You should be able to make a 3k stick that plays identically to a 12k stick and vice versa. Each material has inherent strengths/weaknesses compared to the other but they can very easily be engineered away.

I'd honestly bet that both sticks have a 3k construction (just because of price) and the one has a 12k top layer, but it really doesn't matter either way. If it feels/plays how you want it to, keep it. If not, sell it.

The marketing department will wax poetic about these changes certainly, but I wouldn't buy/avoid a certain stick just because of the top layer.

I specialize in CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics, aka carbon composite) at my university.

If you may let me add a bit to MorePower4me's post, which is pretty much correct, the weave pattern is a completely cosmetic thing with hockey sticks. Next time your stick breaks (assuming it's carbon), try to rip it apart and see what the construction looks like.

The woven layer is really only on top, the rest is just a stack of single-directional fiber layers on top of each other. (Which is the most basic form of CFRP)

They're really all the same, it's just the resin, what carbon fiber they use, etc.

Unless a 3D-woven stick appears (which is very unlikely. Costs way too much to manufacture. Imagine sewing together those stacks mentioned above), don't worry about weave pattern.

Like it's been said it's a cosmetic thing BUT I've heard it marketed as lighter weight, blah blah blah... Kind of like Reebok and their speed holes.

When you have the top layer made with a completely different material like Kevlar, then its going to affect the property of the stick.

This may be an exaggerated example, but imagine trying to make a durable board by stacking together pieces of paper.

No matter what color paper you choose on the top, its going to be the same solidarity. but if you put a sheet of metal on top (while maintaining the same overall thickness) its definitely going to be different, right?

As long as the crisscross pattern in the carbon weave is at right angles with the shaft, the property of that top sheet is basically (I won't say they are exactly the same) the same as the sheets underlying it. So, talking about what the size of the weave is is like discussing the color of the top sheet of paper in the example above.

HOWEVER, if the pattern is not right angled with the shaft (imagine the new Reebok shafts/sticks), it is known to reduce torquing. It gets kind of complicated from here, you need to know the difference between compression/pull and shear...

I don't know if the Reebok shafts are advertized for reducing torque...They should :P

Although, the difference won't be that significant, assuming that the top layer isn't that thick.

^always good to see there are more materials science people on here :)

Like it's been said it's a cosmetic thing BUT I've heard it marketed as lighter weight, blah blah blah... Kind of like Reebok and their speed holes.

or like the stealth and the CNT bullshit.

HOWEVER, if the pattern is not right angled with the shaft (imagine the new Reebok shafts/sticks), it is known to reduce torquing. It gets kind of complicated from here, you need to know the difference between compression/pull and shear...

I don't know if the Reebok shafts are advertized for reducing torque...They should :P

Although, the difference won't be that significant, assuming that the top layer isn't that thick.

was just wondering about that today lol, thanks

^always good to see there are more materials science people on here :)

Cnt was totally different. It was reinforcement at the smallest level, in the creases and between the woven strands of carbon fiber. Speed holes are simply just holes in the stick, not sure how you can compare the two.

We've had discussions in the past about how the nanotube technology on the CNT was a bs marketing gimmick.

I'm starting to think all of the new "stick technology" is a marketing gimmick...

Anybody know how I could contact him? I wouldn't mind sending him a quick PM. Thanks

Cnt was totally different. It was reinforcement at the smallest level, in the creases and between the woven strands of carbon fiber. Speed holes are simply just holes in the stick, not sure how you can compare the two.

yeeeeah, i'll put you down as being duped.

i'd be more than willing to share my assertions with whomever (especially easton), but as TBL said, we've engaged in this debate at length before... if you want the low down pm me or something so we dont clog this thread.

We've had discussions in the past about how the nanotube technology on the CNT was a bs marketing gimmick.

I'm starting to think all of the new "stick technology" is a marketing gimmick...

Welcome to the club

When they're talking about the material itself being improved, it pretty much is. The innovation is in the layering of the composites and the angles that's done at, to maximize whatever characteristics they're looking for. If it's all fibers straight down, you have no transverse strength whatsoever- you could probably crumple the stick just by stepping on it, not to mention all the microfractures the strain would cause when you shoot (which doom the composite). Trouble is, those wraps decrease the stiffness along the length of the shaft, so you add weight. That's pretty well covered ground by now, northing's really an innovation, but they do tweak it to adjust the feel, weight, torque...

Balance characteristics are also non gimmick innovations, like the SE16. Geometry changes will also have a real effect.