Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dez

Bauer/Itech visor vs Oakley

I have been using Oakley all the time but mine is peeling off again and time to get a new one.wondering how's the Itech/Bauer one? do they have comparable quality vs Oakley? which one do you prefer if you have used both?

Thanks!

What do you mean "peeling off"?

I've had each. The cheap Itech models will have distortion, but in my opinion the $60 Itech was on par with the $60 Oakley. I would say go for the cut that fits what you want better. Oakley has some larger 3-point designs and I think their straight-small is the smallest available, where Itech has partial cage visors, waves, and different sized cuts.

If the Oakleys are working well and not fogging up, and you feel adequately protected, then there's not much reason to switch.

I'm personally more of an Oakley fan, I don't know why.

When I tried cleaning Oakley with windex (stop laughing, I didn't know any better), the anti-fog coating bubbled up started to peel like a bad sunburn. Dollars to donuts, that's what this guy did..

I've had both. Go with look you like the best. however, if you like the aviator 3 point design, spend the extra 20 bucks and get the bauer. the extra that are breakaways are beauts. can replace it fairly quickly if necessary, and you don't need to spend another 60 bucks if you're buying a new one, just buy the lens again and again.

When I tried cleaning Oakley with windex (stop laughing, I didn't know any better), the anti-fog coating bubbled up started to peel like a bad sunburn. Dollars to donuts, that's what this guy did..

I didn't use windex. I use the Oakley solution but ~after 2 seasons, the coating outside of the shield will start peeling off. especially if you have some scratch to start with.....

I've found the Itech's to be more durable over my 16 years of visor wear. After cleaning an Oakley with Windex I also have found that if you take the extra time to care for the Oakley's they hold up pretty well. I'm just using water to clean my Oakley right now and it seems to be doing fine.

I prefer the straight small from oakley over anything else. The Itech, now Bauer, is a bit more rugged, but I really prefer the size and shape of the straight small. It's the only one that doesn't seem to cause a problem with my big nose.

I've found the Itech's to be more durable over my 16 years of visor wear. After cleaning an Oakley with Windex I also have found that if you take the extra time to care for the Oakley's they hold up pretty well. I'm just using water to clean my Oakley right now and it seems to be doing fine.

when i wore a visor (1 xcell{now oakley} and itech) i would clean them with turtle wax designed for clear coat finish. i never had a problem with them fogging up or peeling.

The Itechs use to be made under license from Oakley, so essentially the glass is the same. That may have changed.

Yes, patent infringement on the optics.

Oakley holds 100's of patents. Oakley has a strong legal division that creates massive profits sueing anyone and everyone they can find. Patents are filed under use in vison products so it applies to just about everything.

If I remember correctly it the itech issue was curvature of the lens. The glass is not the same. Itech is more round and has less distortion "otherwise called Optically correct" as in similar shape to your eyeball. Oakley is more flat. So you get optical distortion while moving your eyes quickly from one object to the next but don't notice once your eyes have focused on that new object.

Visor tech 101

Most retail shields have a hardcoat on the outside and an anti-fog application on the inside. Suggestion - never touch the inside with anything, just wipe with a towel.

Pro shields are double sided hardcoat. Thats why you see them scrub the crap out of the visor and it doesn't have a mark. Also most NHL/pro teams are using cloths that cost around 25-30 buck each and have some tech to them.

Itech/Bauer much more durable, easy to clean

I find Oakleys tempermental....couple are holding up nice....other 2 are bubbling/peeling/foggy layer

Sorry, Paul, should've specified. It was the shape of the lens.

Same thing happened to Jofa with the Image visor. They settled by having THC distribute Oakley.

You need to find that J-cut for me. I haven't forgotten...

I have both, I use dish soap to clean the visors. No problems with fogging, etc. The oakley has not held up as well as the Itech/bauer. It has cracked and eventually broke were it mounts to the helmet. The itech has held up extremely well with no issues. I do however prefer the shape of the Oakley visor over the itech. All and all I think it's going to come down to what you want in terms of shape, one visor might seem to fit your face/helmet better than another. I'd recommend both visors, with the itech lasting just a bit longer.

I've had numerous Oakley and Itech visors, and prefer Itechs when it comes to cleaning and durability.

Though I've run into a "problem" with my latest Itech visor...

Currently I'm using a Itech Pro wave, and I just bought a Itech Aviator. For some weird reason the Aviator is alot thicker than the Pro Wave (which is 2 years old), which is annoying the crap out of me when looking through the bottom part of the visor.

Is the aviator thicker because of design, or because Itech changed their manufacturing methods?

Used both Oakley Straight and Itech Straight, imo the oakley seems to be a lot clearer but it could be my old contacts i've been lazy to change out :rolleyes:

but overall the itech wins hands down, its held up very well (took two high sticks to the visor).

i don't like how oakley uses the "biting" screws, it totally chews up the visor and compromises the structural intregrity of the visor. especially when majority of the cracks/breaks happens at that area.