Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarret_g

Drying Equipment In Apartment

Ok, so i'm moving into an apartment at the end of the month with absolutely no storage and thus, nowhere to air out my gear. Does anyone have an suggestions as to what i should do with my gear so my apartment doesn't stink like cat urine?

I was looking at the shock doctor power dry bags and was also thinking about just getting a wardrobe and modding it for simple electric fans for ventilation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Just get a rack to hang the stuff up on and let it air out. Trust me it'll dry like that, and it'll help with stink a lot. If your gear already reeks bad and you're worried about that smell, wash it first. It won't be as bad as you turning fans on to blow the stinky air all around.

If your bathroom has a vent fan, which it should, then that is the ideal place to do it. That's the way we did it in hotel rooms on the road.

+1

if you have a bunch of hangers with clips too that will help. Clip the shin guards, gloves, elbow pads, pants and hang on the shower curtain rod.

Gives you a good excuse to go buy new gear all the time...stinks to bad, time to buy new.

or wash your stuff all the time and soak shins and elbows in the bathtub and let em air dry. Thats what I did in college living in an apt.

I have a tiny apartment and I dry my stuff in the bathroom. I have a drying rack in there and most of my gear hangs on that with my pants sitting on top. Luckily for me my bathroom at least is a decent size, if you have a tiny bathroom or share with someone that may not work. The biggest thing is just to take it out of the bag to air out as soon as you get home, I've done that religiously with my gear and it really doesn't smell at all.

Just get a rack to hang the stuff up on and let it air out. Trust me it'll dry like that, and it'll help with stink a lot. If your gear already reeks bad and you're worried about that smell, wash it first. It won't be as bad as you turning fans on to blow the stinky air all around.

If your gear smells really bad look into if someone in your area that offers equipment cleaning. My brother's gear was awful after his senior season in HS. He got his gear done and it smells like it's new.

As an example this were my brother got his done Hockey equipment cleaning

Has anyone on this site used one of these? DryGuy A player I know swears by it for drying his skates and gloves. He even throws it in his hockey bag for road trips. Their website says the air temperature is 99F, which if you think about it is just above body temperature, so I don't think that the heat is going to damage your equipment.

yeah, i think the bathroom idea would work well...i'm not sure of the dimensions of the bathroom but i'm hoping there'll be enough room in there for some sort of rack to store my gear. Lets hope the gf thinks it's a good idea, lol

I had a Wet Gear rack and an empty closet. I would either put the rack in the corner (when I didn't have a balcony) then move it into the empty closet when dry.

Throw pads/pants/gloves/skates (pull out insoles and spray/dry by themselves) in front of a small fan after spraying with Febreze as soon as I get home. Hit again lightly with Febreze after dry and then keep in front of fan a short time again. Back into the bag the next day after work when I get home. Underwear/jersey/socks get washed and hung to dry each time. Wash out inside of helmet with damp washcloth and let it dry in front of fan also. So far, so good.

I doubt this is remotely helpful, but when I was an apartment dweller, I usually artistically arranged my equipment around the back of my car and in the hatch, and drove at highway speeds with all the windows open for the drive home from the rink(which luckily, involved a highway)

Usually took the worst of the stink out (worked better for summer hockey, however) and then would take a disinfectant spray to the stuff once in awhile. I'd bring up my skates, helmet and gloves for a proper dry in my apartment, and leave the rest in the open bag in my car.

posted this before in another thread. But build a hockey tree out of PVC, it's cheap and easy to make. Here's the one I made.

3112589762_83c400283f.jpg

I've had 2 different apartments.

One had a giant living room and I just took all my equipment out of my bag after each game and let it air dry. Then I moved to an apartment that had a nice sized walk in storage closet. I would again remove all my gear and febreeze everything while still wet. Once a month I would soak the gear in the tub with a small bit of detergent, rinse and hang dry.

It's obviously pricier than a gear rack... but I'm also real cramped for space living in a finished attic apartment. I just bought this guy, as it's much smaller than the older Shock Doctor bag. I just put it in my staircase at at angle, run the dryer about 3-4 times the day after I skate and it can go right back in the trunk the day after once it's all dry.

I always just laid out my gear in the apartment bathroom after a session, closed the door, and opened the bathroom window. In the morning my stuff would be dry, my apartment relatively odor free, and i'd pack my gear up again and throw it in the closet. Worked well enough. The lingering odor in the bathroom would dissipate shortly after I packed up my gear.

I usually have a locker where I play, but it's only during the college season. Otherwise, I use the fire escape. As long as your not on the first floor you should have one. Really it shouldn't be obstructed but no one really cares if you dry your stuff for a few hours and then put it back in the bag.

Well, mabye I'm particularly stinky. I live in an apartment and my girlfriend gave me an ultimatum: either she or the hockey gear had to go. So I threw her out. :laugh:

Kidding. I purchased this Shock Doctor bag: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shockdoctor-912-power-dry-hockey-equipment-bag-32in.html - as well as Shock Doctor's High Output Dryer.

The bag is exceedingly well made; and the blower works phenomenally well. My stuff is dry 3 hours - totally dry actually; and it doesn't smell too bad. PLus if you keep the bag closed from the moment you bring it in the house, not much smell escapes anyway.

BEST.

PURCHASE.

EVER!

I usually rock the bathtub with the fan running for the first hour or so. Gets the job done. Though I do admit there's occasionally a little residual stink. Some day I'll have a balcony... someday.

I usually rock the bathtub with the fan running for the first hour or so. Gets the job done. Though I do admit there's occasionally a little residual stink. Some day I'll have a balcony... someday.

Shock Doctor would work much better - also it deodorizes by killing da germs. Cheaper than balcony; plus what do you do when it's cold out or it rains? Balconies are for hot chicks - not smelly hockey equipment. Shock Doctor thingie really works. Worth every penny.

I have given up my SD bag/blower combo for the standard box fan.

The SD combo worked when I had the room to keep it in my old apartment. When I had to move it to our basement storage in our new apt (flat) it just doesn't work well. The basement air is too damp to actually dry the gear so now I use a box fan and a small dehumidifier (in the summer) in our storage closet to keep the gear dry.

Maybe the high output blower would work better, but I don't have the money to drop on maybe. So if you have a dry indoor place the SD works well enough, I had to run the blower twice (6 hours) to dry my gear.

The smell doesn't seem any worse drying it with the fan than it did with the ozone on the SD bag.

I have given up my SD bag/blower combo for the standard box fan.

The SD combo worked when I had the room to keep it in my old apartment. When I had to move it to our basement storage in our new apt (flat) it just doesn't work well. The basement air is too damp to actually dry the gear so now I use a box fan and a small dehumidifier (in the summer) in our storage closet to keep the gear dry.

Maybe the high output blower would work better, but I don't have the money to drop on maybe. So if you have a dry indoor place the SD works well enough, I had to run the blower twice (6 hours) to dry my gear.

The smell doesn't seem any worse drying it with the fan than it did with the ozone on the SD bag.

The high output blower - according to a friend I've mine who started with the standard one - is much more powerful. No doubt it performs differently, however, depending upon the general humidity of the storage area.