Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xstartxtodayx

Equipment storage for apartment living?

So those of you that live in an apartment or small house without outside storage space (garage/shed), what do you do to store your equipment and let it dry?

I've always had a garage growing up where I had a little corner dedicated to my hockey gear but now that I'm out on my own and in an apartment I don't have that same storage ability. I usually like to leave my stuff out on my deck and let it dry for a few hrs and then bring it in and store the bag in the corner of the living room. Unfortunately we've had some snow/ice storm lately and I had to leave my bag in my trunk for a day and a half in the freezing temps rather than stinking up the apartment. That got me thinking and wondering if there were any sort of solutions to this such as a small deodorizing hockey locker or something (maybe a homemade contraption made of cedar?). I've seen a bag made by Mission that you can buy a dryer/deodorizer for but it's over $200 when it's all said and done so maybe another option?

I'd love to hear any interesting and creative solutions from those of you who are in the same or similar situation as me.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in an old house, the basement is a bitch to get into and I want to avoid leaving myself out in the shed even though it's well protected and closet space is at a minimum. Almost thought about getting a wardrobe type thingy from Target or something to hang everything inside and maybe cut out a few vents...

I picked up a Shock Doctor bag with the blower. It works well, but you do have to clean the equipment more frequently as it only prevents rather than eliminates odors. I went back to the regular drying rack because the bag was too big for my car though...need a bigger vehicle. It's certainly a lot less smell with the Shock Doctor in my house.

apartment living brings back memories of hockey storage - they would give us a small 3x3x3 square box in the storage room looked like a cage of some sort - then we had to provide the lock - it was all in one room for everybody on the floor. I went for many years storing in the cage box, until somebody complained to management about the stink. So the manager gave me a little "glade deodorizer" the size of a pop can. One time sombody tried to break the cage and actualy damaged it, but I think they did it just to scare me - because they did not take anything. So then I put a piece of tape on the deodorizer that said, "As per managments direction" - and did not have any trouble since - thats was a few years ago - and have now since moved into a condo with a garage.

Morale of story - ask apartment manager if their is any "common storage" areas - maybe you can set up some cage, and my peice of advice - wash equiment regular basis - and use a "Glade deodorizer" so it looks like your concered about your neibors. Ha!

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in an old house, the basement is a bitch to get into and I want to avoid leaving myself out in the shed even though it's well protected and closet space is at a minimum. Almost thought about getting a wardrobe type thingy from Target or something to hang everything inside and maybe cut out a few vents...

This is what I was thinking... I already have a pretty nice (aka basic and not expensive) wardrobe from Ikea that I keep my clothes in (since my fiancee gets the large closet which is also used for other storage), it cost me about $80 and I'm sure I can find a smaller more basic one for even cheaper... vents would be good and even some sort of deodorizing fan or something (I know I have one near my cats litter box that plugs into an outlet that's supposed to keep pet odors under control, maybe rig that up for the wardrobe).

I picked up a Shock Doctor bag with the blower. It works well, but you do have to clean the equipment more frequently as it only prevents rather than eliminates odors. I went back to the regular drying rack because the bag was too big for my car though...need a bigger vehicle. It's certainly a lot less smell with the Shock Doctor in my house.

That's what I was afraid of with that bag is that it would be too big. I just got a new bag for xmas, a NBH Vapor XXX w/ wheels (yes I'm old and lazy) and it's huge compared to my old school CCM duffel style bag, I thought I accidentally got a goalie bag at first but it's actually just a couple inches bigger than my old one but more squarish with external skate pockets so it looks and feels much larger than it is. I like the idea of the Shock Doctor bag but it's just too large and too much $$ for me.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I am in a smaller apartment and what I do depends on the season:

Summer - Spread everything out on the balcony, bring in few hours later. I usually spray my stuff down with the anti bacterial febreeze stuff before bringing in

Winter - Spread out in the apartment - Yes, the apartment does have a funny odor for those few hours (I then have to air out the apartment after airing out my gear). I also spray that stuff down as well.

I am in a smaller apartment and what I do depends on the season:

Summer - Spread everything out on the balcony, bring in few hours later. I usually spray my stuff down with the anti bacterial febreeze stuff before bringing in

Winter - Spread out in the apartment - Yes, the apartment does have a funny odor for those few hours (I then have to air out the apartment after airing out my gear). I also spray that stuff down as well.

Thats funny because I would think in the winter it would be better to also give it a balcony spread, because in cold temps it may kill a few more bacteria - then after its aired out and frozen you could lay it in the in the bathtub for the big thaw/warmup - and turn on the air fan. just a thought

P.S. I bet you only date in the summer! Ha!

Yeah the SD bag is a lot of money new. Luckily I only paid $60 I think :)

How about getting a $10 rack from Target/Walmart/wherever, stick it in your shower, hang all the gear up, spray it with alcohol, turn on the exhaust fan, and leave it overnight?

my girlfriend gave me the Grit hockey tower bag for christmas. This bag stands up and has shelving for all the different gear. after skating it has attachment sites to hang your gear on. i leave like that overnight then repack it when its dry and zip it up and sit it in the corner. i will post some pics so you know what im talking about.

We leave all the gear on the balcony for a day or so all year round (unless its getting wet by the rain)

When it all comes in, it goes in its bag along with a bag ball or two. Everything is pretty new, so the hockey stink hasnt set in yet.

As for storage... the bags (goalie and player) are in the loungeroom, they get put on the balcony when we have guests, otherwise, Im tripping over them in the middle of the night in the dark whilst passing through.

Once Ive made it past the hockey gear, I have to traverse the ironing board and the motorcycle gear... LOL.

Id hate to try and store all this stuff if one of us wasnt into hockey.

Bicarbonate of Soda? Put some of that in a bag and leave it out... its supposed to absorb the odors..

Try old tea bags as well, i heard they work a charm in removing those smells as well.

i live in a dorm room style apartment for students. I built a hockey tree out of pvc pipe to store/dry my gear. It's pretty compact and keeps my gear dry and stink free. here's a pic:

3112589762_83c400283f.jpg

i live in a dorm room style apartment for students. I built a hockey tree out of pvc pipe to store/dry my gear. It's pretty compact and keeps my gear dry and stink free. here's a pic:

*deleted image*

Thats sweet! You should run a fan through it to really dry it out quickly

I built a hockey tree out of pvc pipe to store/dry my gear. It's pretty compact and keeps my gear dry and stink free.

That is awesome. Has it freaked anyone out? (a few poeple have been frightened by my full length wetsuit being hung to dry on in the bathroom (lights off))

*deleted image*

Thats sweet! You should run a fan through it to really dry it out quickly

I have holes drilled in it to allow hot air to flow to all the equipment. However I still need to make a custom adapter so i can connect a hair dryer to it.

I built a hockey tree out of pvc pipe to store/dry my gear. It's pretty compact and keeps my gear dry and stink free.

That is awesome. Has it freaked anyone out? (a few poeple have been frightened by my full length wetsuit being hung to dry on in the bathroom (lights off))

Actually, it used to freak my ex out when i first built it. I originally had it setup opposite my bed, and when she'd wake up groggy in the morning or the middle of the night, she'd think some creep was watching her sleep. So after a couple of nights, I finally moved it near the door where it's out of sight.

I used to have a wood thing like that...we called it "Hockey Man".

I've christened him george. He's always good for a high five when ever you need one.

Actually, it used to freak my ex out when i first built it. I originally had it setup opposite my bed, and when she'd wake up groggy in the morning or the middle of the night, she'd think some creep was watching her sleep. So after a couple of nights, I finally moved it near the door where it's out of sight.

hehehe.

Will be interesting to see how you go with the hair dryer.

Luckily, I have a decent sized storage unit in my condo:

hockeystuff004gr7.th.jpg

Smell has never been an issue. Beside the odd spraying of febreeze, I don't do anything special to it. Air out the equipment as soon as I get home...leave it out for days...and pack it up only as I'm leaving for my next game.

Smell is such a non issue that I don't even bother closing the door.

I've noticed a couple of things from the replies... first off, I'm jealous of the ample storage space some of you have. Secondly, I really need to get off my but and come up with a similar solution b/c my equipment has been neglected for too long.