Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

idk if its been posted but what which you recommend on getting i hit the ice about 6 times a week during the season and im fed up with the guy that does mine at the rink, he literally runs it twice over the sharpener and hes done. so im looking for one for myself so i could do them and not spend money one worthless sharpenings. its most likely be located in the a finished basement with a bar down there but nobody uses it, or a garage

Judging by the way you handle a keyboard, I think it would be a horrible idea for you to use machinery.

^ put it right at the bar.

beer and a sharpening, $6

I don't want the shavings in my beer, breathing them is bad enough. I should have my bar built in the basement next year about this time.

idk if its been posted but what which you recommend on getting i hit the ice about 6 times a week during the season and im fed up with the guy that does mine at the rink, he literally runs it twice over the sharpener and hes done. so im looking for one for myself so i could do them and not spend money one worthless sharpenings. its most likely be located in the a finished basement with a bar down there but nobody uses it, or a garage

Judging by the way you handle a keyboard, I think it would be a horrible idea for you to use machinery.

My dad is going to be doing it for now, I'm only a high school senior so I have time to develop skill with any type of machinery. But yes, I would like to get one for myself, and maybe a couple friends.

Happy Jr? I fixed my grammar.

Edited by dumbpolak9

I don't want the shavings in my beer, breathing them is bad enough. I should have my bar built in the basement next year about this time.

It'd be like goldschlager, only toxic, and not gold, or cool by any stretch of the imagination. Basement bars are great, when I find a good spot for my powerskater, hopefully we'll be building one in my basement too. No skate sharpener though

Thanks to Chadd at the MSH skate, I've been able to give FBV a try. I've been on FBV sharpening for about 10hrs of ice time now, and I can't believe how amazing it is. I don't know about the claims of it improving your top speed, but the improved glide is night and day from ROH. My only complaint is that when your going straight or turning slightly, it feels like you have no edges. It just took sometime for me to trust that my edges were eventually going to catch once I was committed to stopping and turning. Too bad I have to go back to ROH (unless anyone can point me to a rink with FBV in the area) for a few months while I save up for a X01.

Edited by tamtamg

Thanks to Chadd at the MSH skate, I've been able to give FBV a try. I've been on FBV sharpening for about 10hrs of ice time now, and I can't believe how amazing it is. I don't know about the claims of it improving your top speed, but the improved glide is night and day from ROH. My only complaint is that when your going straight or turning slightly, it feels like you have no edges. It just took sometime for me to trust that my edges were eventually going to catch once I was committed to stopping and turning. Too bad I have to go back to ROH (unless anyone can point me to a rink with FBV in the area) for a few months while I save up for a X01.

I wouldn't be averse to a monthly trip to MD until a shop picks up a spinner but I can't get all the way down to your new locale.

I felt exactly the same way in regards to turning with FBV. I'll try a deeper setting and see if it corrects my problem but since I've only spent 2 hours on 90/75s i'll give it more time. The additional glide you get on this is unreal!

I wouldn't be averse to a monthly trip to MD until a shop picks up a spinner but I can't get all the way down to your new locale.

I would of taken you up on that offer. but yah, Virginia Beach isn't exactly the hot bed for hockey. I've been to both of the rinks down here. it doesn't look like I'll find a quality sharpener around here. I think I'm going to have to buy a extra set of steel and have them shipped out for sharpenings. beyond no icing, does any other place offer mail order sharpening?

I would of taken you up on that offer. but yah, Virginia Beach isn't exactly the hot bed for hockey. I've been to both of the rinks down here. it doesn't look like I'll find a quality sharpener around here. I think I'm going to have to buy a extra set of steel and have them shipped out for sharpenings. beyond no icing, does any other place offer mail order sharpening?

I'm sure most quality sharpeners will do it, they just don't make it a core part of their business.

Was that the reason why you were able to get clear for that breakaway goal? :D

Was that the reason why you were able to get clear for that breakaway goal? :D

Nah, that was shear determination of will. I really wanted to be able to say I scored on Ms. Virginia. I put everything into my twig and gave it to her hard. It was noisy and felt really good. Too bad it was over so quickly though. :P

Chadd

Yes thanks for putting the FBV on my runners. I should have listened to my gut and gone with the 5/8" equivalent vice the 3/8". I skated on the 3/8" and the edges bit more than I wanted them to. The last time I had 3/8" on my skates it felt like i was on rails and I had to work more than usual. I usually have the skates sharpened at 1/2". The glide FBV was better comparing the 3/8 type of cut, but again I could not get used to how much edge dug in.

Chadd

Yes thanks for putting the FBV on my runners. I should have listened to my gut and gone with the 5/8" equivalent vice the 3/8". I skated on the 3/8" and the edges bit more than I wanted them to. The last time I had 3/8" on my skates it felt like i was on rails and I had to work more than usual. I usually have the skates sharpened at 1/2". The glide FBV was better comparing the 3/8 type of cut, but again I could not get used to how much edge dug in.

I can understand that. When I can free up some cash, I'm going to order some of the other spinners.

I finally got to talk to my figure skating test pilot today -

She has been on it for 2 wks.

She normally skates on a 7/16" ROH. I put her on 100/50.

She is experiencing a bit more glide however feels like she needs just a little bit more edge. One thing that she did say that she was very impressed by was that she is able to get more speed on her spins, a direct result of not being as deep in the ice.

I know that Blackstone will have a 105 or 115 FBV hollow soon, so it will help with glide issues as the blade is thicker.

Depending on where we end up I am hoping to land Canada's reigning champion - he is training for Vancouver 2010 here in Orlando.

I finally got to talk to my figure skating test pilot today -

She has been on it for 2 wks.

She normally skates on a 7/16" ROH. I put her on 100/50.

She is experiencing a bit more glide however feels like she needs just a little bit more edge. One thing that she did say that she was very impressed by was that she is able to get more speed on her spins, a direct result of not being as deep in the ice.

I know that Blackstone will have a 105 or 115 FBV hollow soon, so it will help with glide issues as the blade is thicker.

Depending on where we end up I am hoping to land Canada's reigning champion - he is training for Vancouver 2010 here in Orlando.

JR try the 90/75 some figure skaters are finding that it works very well.

wow chadd thats extremely generous!

im in the northern virginia/maryland area as well and that would be incredible to try out the FBV.

i definitley wouldnt be opposed to making a trip out to harrisburg every so often also...i would totally understand if you wouldnt want to make the trip to maryland/northern virginia for some random MSH member that youve never met :)

im sure you can understand what its like living in a non-hockey area like virginia. the FBV just sounds like something i need to try out.

let me know if it would be ok if i could come up and get my skates done.

wow chadd thats extremely generous!

im in the northern virginia/maryland area as well and that would be incredible to try out the FBV.

i definitley wouldnt be opposed to making a trip out to harrisburg every so often also...i would totally understand if you wouldnt want to make the trip to maryland/northern virginia for some random MSH member that youve never met :)

im sure you can understand what its like living in a non-hockey area like virginia. the FBV just sounds like something i need to try out.

let me know if it would be ok if i could come up and get my skates done.

I think kettler is getting it soon-ish. The last time I talked to the guys down there about it, he said they were interested in getting it in soon.

I'm thinking of ordering the X-01, but does Blackstone have spinners that give a deeper cut than 3/8" ROH or 100/75 FBV? I'm a goalie and I like my skates sharpened to 5/16" ROH.

Try the 100/75, at the moment it has the most bite. Most of my goalies who were deep using deep hollows like 3/8 found that the 100/75 gave them plenty of grip. I'm hoping BS will come out with something with more bite than the 100/75, just for goalies like you. But 100/75 may be enough for you.

Try the 100/75, at the moment it has the most bite. Most of my goalies who were deep using deep hollows like 3/8 found that the 100/75 gave them plenty of grip. I'm hoping BS will come out with something with more bite than the 100/75, just for goalies like you. But 100/75 may be enough for you.

Thanks, I may go try out the FBV hollow at another hockey store first. Also, what do you guys do for ventilation/dust control? Do you guys sharpen outdoors or have some sort of setup like the dust hood Wissota has?

I have a Wissota at the moment for my personal use. If I would purchase the XO1 does the $800-something price include the spinner. Looks like a spinner by itself cost $1700 if I'm looking at this correctly...

That doesn't seem to make sense to me obviously.