Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmmjags

Equipment storage

Made a pvc rack in the basement and air it out with fan underneath. Skates and gloves go on a Dryguy drier for 90 minutes or so at no heat. This is in a basement with lots of bugs, but I have no problem. Maybe the gear smells too bad?

I used to have one of those racks, usually too lazy to use it...I just lay my stuff out in a room in my basement, if it's summer/fall/spring and nice out after i play ill leave it outside for a bit

I have a rack in the garage. I take out my stuff after every game and hang it no matter how tired I am or howl ate I am. Yes, even when still drunk! I don't put it back in the bag until the night of my next game so it gets maximum exposure to the fresher air.

my mom bought a rack to dry coats and other clothes on from the home shopping network or something that works great, i keep that in the garage or basement. if its not cold enough to freeze, i'll just lay it out on the back porch.

Does anyone live in an apartment, or other space with no basement or garage?... I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon, and I don't think my strategy of "lay it all out on the floor in the living room, and plug my nose" is going to fly anymore. In my first year in college, I lived in a dorm, and I didn't make any friends by leaving it out to stink up the hallway outside my room.

Im in the same situation as you. Moving into a college on campus apartment. I have no private balcony to leave it out on. But maybe out on the front and just keep an eye on it for a while to dry. That or keep it in my actual bedroom in front of the window, with a fan to blow the odor out. Luckily my gear doesnt smell too bad when dry, but still has a smell while still wet. So really not too bad.

Does anyone live in an apartment, or other space with no basement or garage?... I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon, and I don't think my strategy of "lay it all out on the floor in the living room, and plug my nose" is going to fly anymore. In my first year in college, I lived in a dorm, and I didn't make any friends by leaving it out to stink up the hallway outside my room.

I use the coat closet. I got some hangers with clips on them from the Container Store. Gear goes onto the hangers in the closet immediately after I get back from a game and the door stays open until morning. It's usually dry by then. After that the door gets closed and the gear stays hung until the next game when it goes back in the bag. It helps that the closet is by the door at the base of the stairs and the living area is upstairs. When I was in a 2 bedroom, the 2nd bedroom was an office with hockey stuff on the floor.

I use the coat closet. I got some hangers with clips on them from the Container Store. Gear goes onto the hangers in the closet immediately after I get back from a game and the door stays open until morning. It's usually dry by then. After that the door gets closed and the gear stays hung until the next game when it goes back in the bag. It helps that the closet is by the door at the base of the stairs and the living area is upstairs. When I was in a 2 bedroom, the 2nd bedroom was an office with hockey stuff on the floor.

Ahhhhh... the age old question... hockey or move in with your girlfriend. RUN my friend. RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!! This the first step towards the domestication of the wild male beast. Soon you'll be changing diapers and mowing the lawn in a sexless marriage while your now overweight wife barks orders at you from the kitchen window!!!

Ok.. seriously.... actually my wife is wonderful and very understanding but I do have a suggestion for you. A lot of guys keep their bags in their cars or trucks and never take their stuff out. Obviously this is a bad answer... stench and staph are a bad recipe! A few guys I know have the shockdoctor bag with the blower. They say it drys the stuff nicely. You could keep it in a closet in the bag. Maybe throw one of those Glade plug in in the closet too. Warrior now makes a drying bag too.

I have one of those metal Sport-Racks and when I was in my first apartment in MI I would have it in my living room which was next to a window. When I moved to my second apartment I would put the rack on the balcony for a day or so then bring the rack in and put it in my hockey closet.

as long as you dont use the shower while it is in there, lay it out in the bathroom and leave the exhaust fan on after your game for the night or a couple hours. works wonders in my apartment and then i just pack it up and put it all dry and (relatively) clean in the closet until next time. just be careful not to take a hot shower because the humidity cannot be good for your stuff. so long as you dont i havent had a problem

I just usually keep my Shock Doctor bag on my enclosed sunporch... there's no access except through the house, and I run the bag about once a day whether the stuff is dried or not. People tease me about the size of the bag, but hey- it dries the stuff out, and I don't need to worry about the storage all week until I'm ready to play.

Been using a hockey tree for a number of seasons now. Airs out the gear, keeps everything tidy and you won't forget a piece of gear when packing up.

I don't use this exact model but something similar:

Hockey Tree

I have the "elite" model. Love it. In fact, I bought it from the same website!!!

I just usually keep my Shock Doctor bag on my enclosed sunporch... there's no access except through the house, and I run the bag about once a day whether the stuff is dried or not. People tease me about the size of the bag, but hey- it dries the stuff out, and I don't need to worry about the storage all week until I'm ready to play.

oh so you don't even have to unpack all the stuff, just run the juice?

Skinteresting...

oh so you don't even have to unpack all the stuff, just run the juice?

Skinteresting...

Yup.. thats the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. Warrior now makes a smiliar bag called the "funk off." It is alot more normal sized than the Shockdoctor. The Shockdoctor is a bloody coffin!!!

Viking - A spare closet like others have mentioned works great. I actually prefer that over the metal racks I have in my basement now. I some shelves install off to one side to lay gear on and some beefy metal hooks on the back wall to hang skates and pants. I'd leave the closet door open during drying and close off the room. You can put a bucket of charcoal in there to help absorb some of the smell, I never did though.

I use a spare closet that we have upstairs. I think I got the racks at menards and they hang from a pole like clothes hangers. The racks come with plenty of layers so you can customize them to fit skates, helmets or whatever.

picture020xi0.th.jpg

On the other side of the closet I have two wall hangers, that are usually used in garages, to hang all my spare sticks. Also, one more to hang my pants and shoulder pads. It also works well to put in a fan to dry the equipment, then shut the door so the odors dont leave the closet.

picture019ag4.th.jpg

sorry for the sideways picture.

If anything, the real key is airflow, or not having your gear cooped up. So putting stuff on a shelf and then closing the closet door is probably not ideal. Even if it's on the floor, stand the gear up to allow max flowage across all surface area.

If anything, the real key is airflow, or not having your gear cooped up. So putting stuff on a shelf and then closing the closet door is probably not ideal. Even if it's on the floor, stand the gear up to allow max flowage across all surface area.

I have that problem. Small apt (a HOLE really)...so my stuff lives in a locker across the hall. Air flow is pretty much ZERO, and it stinks.

I have no problem with airflow, since the window fans that are propped against the wall circulate the air. My stuff is usually dry in about two hours.